View Single Post
Old 04-30-2001, 12:41 PM   #1
Red514LX
Registered Member

Angry Mustang Bullitt -- What's the big deal? (warning: a rant)

I don't understand all the hoop-la over this vehicle. Aparently, I am alone, however -- the bullitt is #1 in the current readers poll on this website. This car only makes 270 horse, right? What is the purpose of this vehicle? I see it as nothing more than a lightly dressed up version of a GT (w/ a few upgrades). Why would this car win out over the '01 Cobra which is rumored to be a strong runner..320hp..underrated. Further, the $35,000 nat. asp. Saleen comes in 3rd. I think this car is a joke. 100mph 1/4 traps for $35,000 -- you're kidding, right? What ever happened to the glorious S351s?...this used to be a car/company I idolized. Great looks AND plenty of horse.

Gettiing back to the main theme of this post -- Am I the only person who feels that this car (the bullitt) was the wrong "special option" vehicle to release to the public? Where is the 400+ horse FR500? Where is the real "bullitt"? (a 385+ horse 5.4L DOHC Cobra R -- minus all the fancy road-race stuff, ground effects, etc. that I know many people on here wouldn't mind letting go -- espeically since it would help put the car in the "affordable" category for many more people)

Yeah, I'm a bit upset. Ford releases the bullitt. Meanwhile, Chevy is getting ready to come back at us with a 405hp Z06 -- that's 405 horse assuming they actually rate it accurately this time. At the same time, stroker kits are allowing N/A LS1s to trap 120+mph in the 1/4....while remaining completely streetable.

You fight fire with fire. That means more c.i. -- period. The 4.6L doesn't have any stroker kits save for the 5.0 DOHC spray bore technology (which, I think, has some promise). Ultimately, however, I think the lack of stroker kits will limit this engine class (4.6L). Yes, turbos can help even the playing field. However, to my knowledge, the installation of twins on a 4.6L GT involves removing the k-member, among other things. Installaiton alone would run $2,000+ in a shop. This is not exactly practical.

On the plus side -- I think the 2001 Cobra is going to turn some heads (espeicially one w/ some gears, exhaust, and headers). I think '01 Cobras, with the above setup, would regularly trap 108mph on average...w/ several easily over 110mph. Let me tell you, though, this is a long way from catching a 520hp nat. asp. heads/cam/stroker LS1...or even a Z06 for that matter.

The 4.6L cannot be stroked to any appreciable extent. This means it will always be 4.6L vs. 5.7L (at the minimum). These are not good odds -- higher tech. or not...it's less c.i.

I ask Ford, where is the affordable 5.4L DOHC mustang?

Any and all feedback and comments (both on what I had to say and your own opinions as well) are truly welcome and appreciated.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block.
http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote