View Single Post
Old 05-01-2001, 04:05 PM   #13
Red514LX
Registered Member

I think everyone has put in some good comments about the Bullitt. Make no mistake about it -- I like the new GT. I test drove one (an automatic) a few months back and the car simply felt well put together. Further, I liked how the price was in the low 20s. I guess I have to take the car for what it is -- a sporty coupe that does everything well. The GT (or bullitt for that matter) was never intended to blow the doors off other vehicles right off the showroom floor.

With some of the comments made by other members here, I can understand where Ford is trying to go with the Bullitt. Hey, if this car makes 270 RWHP, that's super. I appreciate a number like that since I realize that my stock 90 5.0 probably only made 190 RWHP when it came out of the dealership.

Right now, though, I'm anxious to hear about the '01 Cobra. I have a feeling that SVT wasn't too happy about the '99 debacle and so they are looking to make up for their previous blunder.

I understand the comments made stating that Ford needs to keep the 4.6L engine around for a few more years. I agree. I think the next remodeled GT should get a 4.6L (or 5.0L spray bore) DOHC motor. The cobra needs a 5.4L DOHC, period. Like I said earlier, you fight fire with fire (c.i. with c.i. in this case). I think the 4.6L SOHC motor should be dropped. Why even offer a SOHC version of a motor when you have two potent DOHC motors 5.0 and 5.4 that are capable of fitting between the fenders.

Lastly, I feel a push needs to be made for the 5.4L (and 5.0) DOHC motors because I don't believe the aftermarket can possibly ever be as big for the modulars as it is for the 5.0. Why? You can't stroke the darn thing! Look at all the options available (stroker kits, simply boring out the block, or both)...306, 308, 31x, 326, 331, 347, 35x. A 2nd reason is the camshaft. On a DOHC motor, it simply isn't very power/$$ efficient. A 302 has 1 cam. A 4.6L DOHC has 4 cams.

Anyway, I understand and agree with the comments made on the bullitt. My point is simply that the 4.6L SOHC should go away. The 5.0 and 5.4 DOHC motors should be the only options for the new mustang.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block. http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

[This message has been edited by Red514LX (edited 05-01-2001).]
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote