MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Mustang Loyalty

What's your next car going to be? Do people already have a car in mind, and if so, is a Mustang on the list of cantidates. The only reason I ask is because the Mustang doesn't really seriously make the cut on my list anymore, even though I plan on keeping my Explorer as a second vehicle.

The 2003-2004 Mach 1 or possibly a pre SC Cobra are the only cars I would consider with the Blue Oval right now. I had such bad luck with my '02 GT that I'm simply not able to consider another newer GT. The 2003-2004 Cobra's are very expensive, still commanding $25k+ from dealers in many cases. The Mach 1, while relatively inexpensive from private sellers seems to be the target of a ridiculous markup by dealers.

Also, the new Mustang's seem to be rather... well... expensive to be honest. Booking at over $25k brand new, they're closing in on territory occupied by cars with somewhat less straight line performance, but arguably much better quality and comfort.

My critera... Blue, the car absolutely has to be blue. No exceptions. Decent fuel economy, reliable (or at least free from major reliability issues), under $15k, would prefer low mileage 30k or less, fun to drive, manual transmission. A lot for a little? Perhaps, though most things are flexible. No Honda or Toyota products. I need the car to have some sort of soul for cripes sake. No GM or Chrysler products either (remember that reliability issue I brought up?)

The fox body 5.0GT would be on my shopping list, but this is the kind of stuff you deal with

Ebay GT

The fender is rusted, the quarter panel is likely rusted through, the hatch is rusted (probably toast), the interior is stained, and the front seat lumbar looks to be broken, it's not emissions legal (no cats), the whole engine bay is dirty, the AC doesn't work, the owner doesn't know what gears are in it (thinks 3.73s.....) the brakes are shot, the tires look bad, the paint is peeled from the bumper covers, the tint is shot, the paint is mismatched/faded and the buy it now is $4k. It says 82k miles... unlikely, but I suppose possible. Anyway, it's a piece of shit.

So what am I truly left with that fits into my categories (the fox is just a love thing)

Audi A4
BMW 3 Series
Ford Mustang Cobra 99, 01 possibly 98 Atlantic Blue
Ford Mustang Mach 1
Hyundai Tiburon 03+
Jaguar XK8 (yes yes, I know meets like 0 critera.. but can't help myself)
Mazda3
Mazda6
Mercury Cougar 99-02 (yes they have a lot of "little" issues)
Subaru 2.5RS
Volkswagen Jetta
Volvo S40
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Default Re: Mustang Loyalty

When I buy a car, my criteria will be the following...

-<$30k
-NEW! I don't care about how much value I lose when I drive it off the lot...it's gonna be brand spanking new.
-fun factor (manual tranny, decent power)
-practicality (space, comfort, gas mileage, reliability, FWD or AWD only)
-styling (nothing girly)
-No GM, Chrysler, or Toyota

I would like to have a new Mustang GT, but I would never buy one because it wouldn't be practical for me. Cars that I've found so far that meet or come close to meeting my criteria are...

Audi A4
BMW 325i Sedan
Mercury Milan
Volkswagen Passat
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Acura TSX
Subaru Legacy
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The new Subaru Legacy GT seems to have the potential of being a very neat car, and the new Impreza is a HUGE step up in styling from the freakishly ugly previous gen.

If you're going A4, I seriously recommend staying away from the 1.8 4 cylinder as it has a horrific reputation for failure. In regard to economy, the TDI Passat and Jetta get insane fuel economy, like 45-50mpg on the freeway, and they have a lot more power than what you might expect.

I know what you're saying about having a brand new car. It's exciting and it makes the car more special when you're the original owner. I'm just not up for the big payments these days, lol.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
RBatson
Registered Member

May I suggest another motorcycle? I think you should drive the Explorer in bad weather and jump on a bike for the nice weather... just my opinion. May I suggest a Harley Davidson? I've ridden some nice bikes but when I got on a Harley my whole perception changed. I think you would really enjoy riding a Harley. I rented one and had to have one, I love it.

As far as the new mustangs, I haven't really taken to them. I've seen some nice ones but none that I really want to own, personally. I like my 04 Mach much better, but then I loved the look of the 99s when they came out. I thought about selling my Mach and told a guy at work I would take no less than $20k for it, its black and I just turned 12k miles on it. I was going to put it up for sale when I got home from vacation but... I just got home a few hours ago and opened the garage and..... I don't know if I really want to sell it. The checkboard floor reflecting off the black paint looks just too smooth. The car is absolutely beautiful. Whats it worth Kell? I know if I advertise it for $20k firm it will sell but....
Old 03-20-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatson
May I suggest another motorcycle? I think you should drive the Explorer in bad weather and jump on a bike for the nice weather... just my opinion...
I already have 2 motorcycles, and one of which I'm going to let my little sister ride (FZR 600). I'm not all that interested in the Harleys. I'm more than comfortable on my YZF 600, and the bikes I have I picked up for cheap. Hard to find a nice Harley for a good deal these days.

Quote:
Whats it worth Kell? I know if I advertise it for $20k firm it will sell but....
It's seriously tough to say, but I think you might have a hard time getting $20k for it. Private party wise, I've seen quite a few going for a lot cheaper than that. This is the time of year to put it out there and feel for bites though.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
RBatson
Registered Member

I wasn't really interested in Harley's either, remember I was riding a 98 VFR. I rented a Dyna Wide Glide when I went to Phoenix and I got home and couldn't ride the Honda anymore, seemed odd. Don't write off Harley before you spend a couple days in the saddle. I wish I had gotten one 15yrs ago.

Hmm.. where have you been seeing the Machs so inexpensive? The cheapest one I've seen is this one http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/82776824.htm
and its an 03 with 121k miles. Mine has 12,200 miles and is an 04, I really don't think I'd have it for long if I advertised it for $20k firm. I figured you'd have a strong grip on the price of one as its one of only 2 mustangs you'd consider. Where have you seen private sellers selling them?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

I'll keep buying these 35th anniversary edition Mustangs...I'll probably die in one of those things.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatson
I wasn't really interested in Harley's either, remember I was riding a 98 VFR. I rented a Dyna Wide Glide when I went to Phoenix and I got home and couldn't ride the Honda anymore, seemed odd. Don't write off Harley before you spend a couple days in the saddle. I wish I had gotten one 15yrs ago.

Hmm.. where have you been seeing the Machs so inexpensive? The cheapest one I've seen is this one http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/82776824.htm
and its an 03 with 121k miles. Mine has 12,200 miles and is an 04, I really don't think I'd have it for long if I advertised it for $20k firm. I figured you'd have a strong grip on the price of one as its one of only 2 mustangs you'd consider. Where have you seen private sellers selling them?
Last Autumn on Ebay they were selling for $14-15k regularly.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
frmula505
Registered Member

I lova all cars. My last one was a 98 Formula (full bolt on ).I now own two Mustangs, my 03 Cobra and a 85 lx conv.(V6). My next car will probably be a C5 Z06.
2003 Cobra Torch red 10 anniversary 2.8 ultra grip upper pulley, 100mm aux. idler, 100mm idlers, custom predator dyno tune (467hp,505tq), K&N cai, BBK offroad X pipe, Magnaflow cb, centerforce clutch, bbk billet quadrant ,UPR firewall adjuster w/ stock cable, MGW short throw shifter, autometer boost, kenne brown hard launch kit with derlin bushings, and BFR G-Force tires (315-30-18 dr's rear)
My Car
frmula505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I would like to say that I would buy a new mustang if it was financially feasible, but, I have yet to drive one. I have driven a 98 BMW 323IS, and it was about the best driving experience I have ever had. It wasnt fast, quick, but, not fast. But, it was the smoothest car I have ever had the pleasure of putting my hind end in, and the least interior noise of any. I would only think they they have improved on quality, and not taken a step backwards. that being said, I would love to have a new BMW. Preferably a 5 series, but, a 3 series would suffice, as long as it was on the upper end of the 3 series.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I've never bought a new car... I just never saw the value in it.

As far as the Harleys... wait a couple years, the factories are cranking out 400k+ bikes a year, and boomers (Harley's biggest constituency) are trading in bikes for hips. The pricing at the dealerships are now around the MSRP, as they can no longer get premium pricing... So my take is that in 5 years or so, used Harleys will depreciate substantially, and provide additional pricing pressures on new bikes. In the past, Harleys were in short supply, and used bikes were even capturing a premium to new bikes MSRPs... That is not the case anymore.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I am trying to compile all of the cars I thought were cool over the years.

In the last year and a half I bought.

95' AWD turbo talon
90' 300xz

Next on my list is a Grand national or an SVO mustang.

I also have my 1990 coupe and a 1997 Z71 Tahoe.

Hell I would buy something else but I am running out of parking space.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
06_GT_Hawaii
Registered Member

I LOVE my 06 GT. This is the first full mustang I've owned. I've always loved the 289's and have had a couple of the engines laying around (okay, 4) over the years with the intention of stabbing them into various projects (my Jeep, a cobra replicar...etc...) but never did anything much with them. By the time I built the motor, I could never afford the project, and so always sold the motors.

Anyway, as much as I love my GT, my other main ride is hard to top - 1999 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T CC. There's a lot of interior comfy reasons I like a lot of Dodges. My point, I'm almost wishing I'd held onto my downpayment money for my GT a few more years, because the Dodge Challenger concept looks like a killer. If they put it into production with the 425HP 6.1 Hemi that they're dropping in the SRT's, then I will have been premature in realizing my dream of driving a hot ride right off the show room floor.

The technology invested in the Mustang is what sold me on it...
but that Challenger looks like it's carrying a lot of balls...

I buy my Mustang stuff at:
cafepress.com/mustang_GT

HAPPINESS IS
300 HP
06_GT_Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #14
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I love all mustangs and always will. I have enough money to buy a 05 Gt but it just isn't practical right now with two small kids. I am a big ford fan. I like to have mainly fords. I would buy a mercury, linclon, land rover, mazda, astin martin (yeah right I wish) because they are ford products also.

I have to find something with 4 doors that I like. I saw that the fusion and the mazda 6 where pretty close to the same so I looked at those. The mazdaspeed 6 is 270HP AWD so where the hell is the fusion version. I sure would like to see that. The only negative thing was it runs on 93 really hard to find in CA. So it looks like an f-250 crew cab 4x4 desiel to me. I love them big ford trucks too.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I don't know how much i like the new '05+ mustangs but anything based off of fox body is my favorite. I'll always own or work toward owning a mustang whether it's newer or an older car. I don't believe i'll ever own a "new" or a few years new mustang because of the cost and more importantly the depreciation. I plan on driving my cobra daily until it becomes unreliable or it physically falls apart on itself (may be awhile since i just hit 78,000). I love driving my cobra, it's everything i ever wanted in a daily driver - the only thing i see knocking this thing off the road is engine failure since the DOHC engines are ridiculously expensive.

Anyway, i have loyalty towards mustangs whether or not they are reliable because i love their peculiarities and styling.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
RBatson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302
Last Autumn on Ebay they were selling for $14-15k regularly.
You should have jumped on that.. a car less than 2 yrs old with only about 12-13k made in 2 years that's priced 50% lower than new? You should have bought it. I've never seen one price that low, the ones I've seen were in the mid 20s. I wouldn't take less than $20k for mine.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
RBatson
Registered Member

Right now, an F250 with 6.0 diesel is very appealling to me. I figure that truck/motor would last a very long time and would tow whatever boat or trailer I decided to buy. My Avalanche tows my new toyhauler ok but an F250 would be better.

As far as cars I'd like to have; 68 Cougar, 87 Grand National, C5 vette, 2004 Cobra vert, 89-90 XR7 with 5 speed.. Hmm.. not a foreign car on the list.. well, maybe a Toyota Supra turbo model. Ahh.. 500sl would have to be on that list. Any of these cars would have to be black in color.

Never really liked BMWs but I saw an ad on tv that said they would do all the maintenance for the first 4 yrs, I can see where that would be appealling. Nothing but payments and insurance, nice.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

20/20 Hindsight. The truth be told, I live in Minnesota so I probably wouldn't have put more than a few miles on it so far. Add in the auto loan, and the insane amount more that I'd have to spend on insurance, and I'm not necessarily all that enthusiastic even now about making such a purchase.

There's a 2004 with 13,500 miles for under $16k with 5 hrs remaining on ebay right now. Reserve isn't met, and the car will probably jump quite a bit yet. Still, they were a dime a dozen last Autumn, and I saw dozens selling or not meeting reserve for around 15k.

Looks like springtime has brought an increase in price.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #19
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Well, I just bought my "next" car and it's an 06 Mustang GT. After driving the Contour for 2 years, I realized how much I missed having a Mustang. Although I haven't got to drive the 06 much yet (I'm working out of town right now), I love it so far. I loved my old fox and there will always be something about those that I love, but the 06 is light years ahead of the fox in terms of build quality and "refinement". Granted, it's not an Acura or Infiniti, but Ford is really making great strides with their latest line up.

And yes, the price tag can get just a touch out of range on the GT's, but I got mine on X plan and don't regret it at all. This summer I'll probably start throwing some basic modifcations at it, which should only make me smile more

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #20
06_GT_Hawaii
Registered Member

What color did you get?
I went with RedFire... Love it!

I buy my Mustang stuff at:
cafepress.com/mustang_GT

HAPPINESS IS