View Single Post
Old 01-26-2001, 12:31 PM   #1
MrJo1094
Registered Member

Thumbs up New Mustang Rumor?

Ok, I heard a rumor. A friend says he read it on one of these sites. Its been a year since I have been here, and cant remember my password, so got me a new ID.

Ford is going to build the FOX body again. Call it a Mustang GTS, or Mustang FOX, names are still up for grabs.
It is only going to be in a coupe body.
The same 5.0 and T-5 only engine tranny option.
A/C option with cruise, mirrors, and tilt-which is new-(still airbag equipped though, darn feds!)
3.55 gears standard.
5 lug, 4 wheel disk, solid axle.
No Radio.
Possible coilovers all around.
Torque arm option for the rear.
It will still only have 215-225 horse rating.

Pricing is to be between 12-15000, for a non a/c equipped car. Just your basic racer, platform for us to start building on. Kinda like a bare bones equipped pc from what I can tell, you just add your stuff.

It was told that since the old Fox's are so successful, and will not be plentiful in the coming years due to accidents and such, that we will have a steady stream of cars unchanged for us to play with. The imports are getting cheaper by the day, and hence the success. Your average 18-25 year old cant afford a 24k car to strip down/ race prep and insure for driving, much less have pleasure racing after the expenses mount up. The hp is kept low for insurance purposes, and warranty issues. It will have some adds that the aftermarket has developed to make it more acceptable. And with the Demise of GM's F-body cars, this will guarantee the Mustang's future for a cheap pocket rocket, that is still rear drive.

My opinon, DO IT. Its a tried and tested car. Low on recalls, and if more mount, just fix it and LEAVE IT ALONE!! They are making the focus to fight imports, well sounds like they are in focus now!!! So what if the body is 14 years old, LEAVE IT ALONE. We need a future parts donor, and platform to keep us going. The new SN95 is going out to the new DEW body, WHY? Body sharing with other platforms. I understand that the FOX was shared between Fairmonts, Thunderbirds, LTD (small), but cant be that much to make. Especially if you can leave it alone for 10 more years.

I am looking for the article now, I have tried alot of different sites and cant find it. Maybe its on Z-net. Blue oval didnt have it either. Guys help me find it, paste this into other boards you might use. If it is false, well, it's still a good idea I think. What do you think?

At least it isnt a 50-60k$ Cobra R. I can take this 12-15k car, add 10k and spank any Production COBRA R. Can't you?

They already make like umpteen types of trucks, even two full size. Why not two Mustang Levels?
MrJo1094 is offline   Reply With Quote