MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #1
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Default Finally got my Mustang back!!!!!!a few questions.

Alright, Well like I said before, we got 431 HP at 6500 and 382 torque@4500.
Under the hood, It has a K&N air filter, with the low bottum plate giving it about an inch of clearance from the chrome top to the carb. SO, I bought the K&N element top for more air. A plus for HP I hope. Next, and here' where I have a question.

The exhaust is 2.5"s and at one point, the pipes are like 4 inches apart. But, The dyno shops muffler guy did not install any crossover. My buddies shop said that they would install a 2.5" cross over (h pipe) for 25 dollars. An X pipe would be 10 times the cost, parts and labor.

Should I get the H? I have plenty of HP, but torque gains would be nice. Or should I buy a DR gas X pipe? by the way, this is a carbed card..barry grant 750 on a victor jr.

And after test driving it and almost wrecking!!!!!! I NEED TIRES.
I Have 15x7 drag lites all around, and the rear has 245/60/15 pirelli's. I want either the mickey thompsons or hoosiers drag (dot) tire, I know it will ahve to be a 9.5, But on an 88GT what height tire will work. a 28x 9.5 with minor fender mods or 26x 9.5????????????? The mods im talking about are the sheet metal lip o n the inside of the whell well getting ground down to protect side walls .
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:00 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I have 26 inch tires on my 88GT......I dont think you could fit 28's without modifying the fender well.

If I were you I would definialely get the H-pipe welded in with the horse power you are pushing equalizing the pressure in your 2.5 inch pipes would net you some HP. For 25 $ how can you go wrong?

Good Luck,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:13 AM   #3
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Arrow Cool

Tommorrow, its off to the muffler shop. So, Spending the xtra on an X pipe wouldnt be worth the gains( h vs x ) in my case? H-would do basically the same, just a little less HP gains and a little more torques gains than the x pipe.

At least I have somwe time, Tracks not open again till 3/28. Those dam gator nationals!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. FFW should be in gainsville too.

And do they make a 27 x 9.5?
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 11:54 AM   #4
PKRWUD

FYI:
There is a right way and a wrong way to determine the best location for the cross tube, and location does make a difference. If you're interested, the best way to locate the point at which to weld the tube is to take a crayon and make a thick line on each pipe, from the collector back. Make a normal hard run around the block, and check your crayon mark. The temperature of the exhaust gasses within the pipe will cause the mark to discolor or burn at a specific location on each pipe. The point of discoloring is where the balance tube should be mounted.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote