MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mustang vs Camaro Please Read! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=32986)

roadracer247 01-10-2003 12:11 AM

Mustang vs Camaro Please Read!

Okay I am getting frustrated looking around online and hearing that a '02 Camaro SS will beat a '02 SVT Cobra and almost any year before! I know that a '03 Cobra will take a SS but I can't afford the new Cobra. I have been a Mustang and ford man my whole life and I drive a '67 Mustang right now, but I am looking for something newer and am not sure what I should get? The Bullit and Boss mustangs sound like gt's with bodykits and that is not really what I am looking for. How much faster is a Corbra? What is the Hp rating on a '00 Cobra? Please don't misunderstand my post, I love FORD! But I have to have a car that will beat Chevys!;) I am almost sure a 281 and 351 will beat a SS but again I think they are out of my price range. How much do they go for? Also is anyone is interested in trading me for my '67 let me know!
roadracer247@yahoo.com

tireburner163 01-10-2003 12:23 AM

Dark_5.0 is running what amounts to low 13's at sea level in his stock 2001 Cobra.

If you can drive the 99+ Cobra's are low-mid 13 second cars. They are a match for a LS-1.]

Just for your own infomation. Ricer Killer layed down 456 REAR wheel hp with his 99 Cobra. With his only mods being a inter-cooled Vortech supercharger and a custom chip. 4-valve motors love boost.

jj_jonathon 01-10-2003 01:33 AM

my brother has an 02 SS and he's stomped on a number of older modular stock cobras..im talkin car lengths....obviously the 03 roars past him too tho...like you said...

you could easily supercharge any newer stang and itll run with the SS/03 tho...

0h n0 5.0 01-10-2003 02:53 AM

Re: Mustang vs Camaro Please Read!

Quote:

Originally posted by roadracer247
Okay I am getting frustrated looking around online and hearing that a '02 Camaro SS will beat a '02 SVT Cobra and almost any year before! I know that a '03 Cobra will take a SS but I can't afford the new Cobra. I have been a Mustang and ford man my whole life and I drive a '67 Mustang right now, but I am looking for something newer and am not sure what I should get? The Bullit and Boss mustangs sound like gt's with bodykits and that is not really what I am looking for. How much faster is a Corbra? What is the Hp rating on a '00 Cobra? Please don't misunderstand my post, I love FORD! But I have to have a car that will beat Chevys!;) I am almost sure a 281 and 351 will beat a SS but again I think they are out of my price range. How much do they go for? Also is anyone is interested in trading me for my '67 let me know!
roadracer247@yahoo.com

1, get what you want cause your drivin it.

B- true the 02 ss is a monster 380 horses. but its also GM. they never fixed the camaro from 99 on, shoddy production, cheap plastic dash, an like a envelope gettin into if your over 5 foot tall.. great, fantastic wonderful if you like workin on your car from underneath the dash board tho.

C, DOHC 4.6's love superchargers so any 96-02 cobra will definetly leave you grinning. either go with a sn95 body style from 96-98 or the the 99-02 newer body styles.

digital3.3 01-10-2003 03:56 AM

yeah them SS's are fast but them 03 cobras are even better. out here we are doing meets and stuff with the local camaro club and turning it from: camaro vs mustang to: real cars vs ricers. its pretty fun when like 50+cars are bugging the ricers.

Dark_5.0 01-10-2003 11:06 AM

I dont know if I am just a bad @ss driver or what but I have little trouble with stock LS-1's in my 01' cobra.

I have literally ran 7 LS-1's in one night at the track and went 6-1.

There is a 99 cobra in Odessa with Slicks and 4.10 gears running 12.40's @109mph.

A 99-01 cobra can hit mid 12's easy with mild mods. They can hit 11's without touching the motor.

BUT if you are looking for speed go with a 96-98 cobra they are cheaper. And they already have a solid axle just add slicks and some steep gears and watch the LS-1's fall back.

jj_jonathon 01-10-2003 11:22 AM

Re: Re: Mustang vs Camaro Please Read!

Quote:

Originally posted by 0h n0 5.0
1, get what you want cause your drivin it.

thats it right there really....

Quote:

B- true the 02 ss is a monster 380 horses. but its also GM. they never fixed the camaro from 99 on, shoddy production, cheap plastic dash, an like a envelope gettin into if your over 5 foot tall.. great, fantastic wonderful if you like workin on your car from underneath the dash board tho.
youre right that there are problems with it...my brother had his engine replaced (under warrenty) at 25k miles...lots of quirky stuff since he bought it too...stuff that chevy either cant fix cuz they cant figure out, or just deny exist....

but it hauls like a ***** through every gear.....only two cars i know of tha beat him on the highway are an 03 cobra and a 911 turbo...

and trust me...itll seat someone well over 6foot....im 6' myself and find the front seat comfy, my brother is 6'2" and basically lives in his car since hes got 30k+ miles on it and hes had it for a year...

...but all in all...get what you want! go test drive the cars youre looking at...most chevy dealerships still have 02 SS's that you can test and there is a huge supply of GTs and older cobras running around...

inferno 01-10-2003 06:57 PM

380hp??? Someone must have accidently clicked the 8 button instead of the 4.......

bigred90gt 01-10-2003 10:22 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that there was no "Official" 2002 Cobras. Didn't they go from the 2001 Cobra to early 2002 people were ordering their 2003 Cobras.

Caymon

DAN-MAN 01-10-2003 11:10 PM

Re: Mustang vs Camaro Please Read!

Quote:

Originally posted by roadracer247
roadracer247@yahoo.com

Just for the record dude, Ford never built a '02 Cobra.

Daniel.

The Fireman 01-10-2003 11:59 PM

Re: Re: Mustang vs Camaro Please Read!

Quote:

Originally posted by DAN-MAN
Just for the record dude, Ford never built a '02 Cobra.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ford also didn't make one for 2000(except for the Cobra R). Then I heard they did, but they didn't sell them.

bigred90gt 01-11-2003 12:34 PM

Quote:

I know that a '03 Cobra will take a SS but I can't afford the new Cobra.
If you can't afford an '03 Cobra, you can't afford an '02 SS. There is not that much difference in price.

Caymon

srv1 01-11-2003 03:40 PM

Ford=Reliable, and well built. Egornomics are better. Underpowered compared to the LS1.
Chevy=Cheap dash, rattles, problems with oil pumps, you sit on the floor, cheaply made, little more cramped to work on than the Cobra. The chevy's do haul some butt with that LS1!

I think you have your answer.

bigred90gt 01-11-2003 03:58 PM

Quote:

Chevy=Cheap dash, rattles, problems with oil pumps, you sit on the floor, cheaply made, little more cramped to work on than the Cobra.
A guy that I used to race with has an 01 ss and when you ride in it, it sounds like the whole thing is about to fall to pieces. And don't forget about the raised half of the passenger side floor board.

Caymon