MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-20-2002, 02:58 PM   #1
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default On My Way to the Hospital

Now I remember why I don't have a motorcycle. My Fiance's younger brother wrecked his crotch-rocket that he just got less than two months ago (it was his first bike and I was afraid it was going to be too much for him). I have no idea what kind of shape he's in. Thank God there's a helmet law here in NE.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 04:04 PM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Good luck.. I hope he's ok!
Old 05-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
gt lee

Hey let us know how things work out for him. Hope he's doing OK and will be able to come home. Tell him to chill out. Hopefully he learnt his lesson on how to be careful on bikes. There fun but you have to have eyes and ears all around ya. Be praying for him. Odie
Old 05-20-2002, 06:13 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It's a fact that motorcycles are more dangerous to use than cars, regardless of how good a rider you are. I think the problem is compounded by the sheer number of morons on the roads today. People have no courtesy, and little regard for others. I don't know what happened, so I can't tell him to "chill out."

I have a bike right now, just ridden it a few times, and there is a lot there. It's easy to feel how much more out of control the bike is than a car. I think good drivers and good riders know when they feel at their limits or at their machines limits. You always have to respect almost any motor vehicle, and you have to have your eyes open for the crazies who don't have respect now, too.

I hope he's okay.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:08 PM   #5
rbatson

I hope he is ok, as well. I was riding around the biker club about to leave saturday and this girl comes walking around the corner with her head in the air eating chili fries or something. I was going slow but I had to make a quick stop none-the-less and I just did catch my bike before it hit the ground(actually it fell on my leg). Sunday morning my ankle was a little swollen. She just keeps on walking and stares at me as I just watch her eating and strolling along. I was soooo p--- mad!!

Number 1 reason for bike accidents, 'they' didn't see you. Bikes are dangerous but they are soooo much fun.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:11 PM   #6
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by rbatson

Number 1 reason for bike accidents, 'they' didn't see you. Bikes are dangerous but they are soooo much fun.
Exactly...only an idiot would blame a hunk of metal as the cause for a tradegy (guns kill people, remember? )...its always the pilot, not the plane!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 01:14 AM   #7
The Deuce
Registered Member

Thumbs up Belle.......

You always seem to have a special way of telling it like it is. I dropped my bike almost two years ago, and I don't think my shoulder will ever be the same. I am a whole lot more careful now than I was back then. No more riding tired and/or hungover. Yeah, like loud motors and headaches are a good combination right?

Cobra, hope your future bro-in-law is doing well. Will keep him in my prayers. Try to get people to keep the "I told you so's" to a minimum. I've said it before, it isn't a matter of IF you crash, but WHEN you crash riding bikes. Encourage him to take the Bike Saftey course that Nebraska offers. You should be able to find out information about it through the following link:

www.msf-usa.org

Let us know how he is doing, and take care man.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:17 AM   #8
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Well, he has a lot of road-rash and he is going to loose a few finger nails. He'll need some plastic surgery to assist the healing process. He said he slid anywhere from 30-60 feet. If he would've been wearing gloves (or any leathers) he'd be in a lot better shape.

Not too bad, all things considered. Thanks for everyone's concern.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
Old 05-21-2002, 08:18 AM   #9
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hope everything goes ok, i miss my harley, but i dont miss riding & having to watch 360 degrees around me, for the fool's who think you can just stop like a bicycle, good luck & let us know, cya.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:29 AM   #10
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Default Gear is a must

I have had my fair share of spills, as have everyone in my family who rides. Think Kevlar! If you think something is too expensive for protective gear on a bike, you aren't thinking. Get the best, and nothing but. I'm sorry to hear about the accident. My father a few years ago hit a cement divider at 60mph... his body, not the bike. Lost the tops of his nuckles, shaved off the front of his helmet and lost lots of blood. He's ok now, but he doesn't ride anymore. I'm kinda glad. Best beginner bikes: 250cc or less, no more, or else you are toast .

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:43 AM   #11
1fastchick
Registered Member

I am guessing he bought a 750cc+ bike also or a brand new 600.
Anyways glad he is okay tell him to get to the MSF course if he is going to ride again.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:57 AM   #12
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Quote:
Originally posted by 1fastchick
I am guessing he bought a 750cc+ bike also or a brand new 600.
Anyways glad he is okay tell him to get to the MSF course if he is going to ride again.
It was the new Yamaha 600. What is the MSF course?

R.H.C. #14
Old 05-21-2002, 11:12 AM   #13
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Re: Belle.......

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
You always seem to have a special way of telling it like it is. I dropped my bike almost two years ago, and I don't think my shoulder will ever be the same. I am a whole lot more careful now than I was back then.
Fanks, I try my best to hint at the point without banging someone's head into it (like I used to )

Wow he wasn't wearing any protection? Damn...I dream on that on hot days, but I'd never...I mean, there are WEIRD people out there, but I still haven't met any that thought road rashed sandpaper skin was SECKSIE *bleccccch*

My wishes for a speedy recovery!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 12:46 PM   #14
The Deuce
Registered Member

Lightbulb MSF course

This is the best thing to happen to motorcyclists since the advent of a rear suspension.

Seriously though, it is a class that teaches you how to ride a bike properly. They teach braking, slow speed manuvering, rules of the road and theory. When I got my license in CA, it was required that I take the class because of my age (18 then). I personally refuse to teach people how to ride, because I don't want to pass any bad habits on to them.

One of the largest benefits of the class is understanding the way a bike stops. 70% of the stopping power comes from the front wheel and being able to rely on that in a panic situation can mean the difference between staying up and playing slip and slide on the asphalt. (which I did once)

Gald to hear he's not in too bad shape. How's the bike look?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 05:30 PM   #15
1fastchick
Registered Member

Then I am guessing an R6

Belle I just got my XS pheniox jacket from Joe rocket. Kicks arse Fits great and rezin from tricktape has them for $107 bucks.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 06:36 PM   #16
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The front brake does almost all the stopping on a motorcycle. No suprise there, it's much the same on a car. That has to do with weight transfer. Obviously it's a more severe transition on a bike. When's the last time you saw a car that could do a stoppie? LOL.

The argument that it's never the bikes fault is pretty valid, but again, it works the same for cars.

Sometimes I wonder why riders/drivers push over the limits so hard. I was a lot crazier back in the day too, but I could always tell when things were getting a little hairy. The road isn't a racetrack, it's dirty, loose, poorly maintained, and bumpy. Not at all consistant, but people seem to think that they can do the same thing every time on different surfaces, and expect the bike's special attributes to save them. It's not like people don't usually get a little warning about what is going on before they push it too far, but both cars and bikes are designed to push the limits with so much less effort now. I suppose a person could mistake how small the gray area of the limits are, and continue to ride the edge. Sometimes you may get away with it, sometimes you won't. I do disagree with the idea you WILL crash on a bike. Both my dad and my dad's friend rode for decades and never laid it down, or wrecked the bike. My older bro rode for years as well never to lay it down. The biggest rules of thumb I have are:
  • Don't push it when you don't know the road.
  • Don't push it when there aren't good conditions.
  • Don't push it when the cops are around
  • Keep the brain in gear and focused on the road, not the hot chick two cars up.
  • Always respect the bike, never fear it.
  • Keep your eyes open enough to cover yourself, and the other guy on the road because chances are, he/she's not paying attention.
  • Understand why bikes are hard to see, and hard to judge tailing distance from. (Depth perception is a big deal in this case).
  • Understand the basics of what forces act on a bike, and why they act that way.

Lots of rules, but when you know what the heck is goin on, you can stay a lot cooler when adversity rears up. The key to getting out of a lot of hairy situations is to remain calm, be prepared, and react quickly. You'll have plenty of time to feel your heart race and get light headed later. My biggest pet peeve is people who freeze when they encounter a major problem. I've seen it happen way too many times.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #17
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Bikes vs cars

89 Cobra LX:

Glad to learn that your fiancee's brother will survive the accident without much permanent damage.

Bikes are cool but I've never had the slightest interest in owning - much less riding - one.

You're just too vulnerable to cars and the idiots we all know that drive them. A fender-bender in a car can be a lifetime injury - even death - on a bike. Examples abound.

In my opinion, on a bike, you trade the thrill and obvious excitement of riding for the danger and vulnerability.

I'll pass but I can understand why millions love it.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 06:50 PM   #18
polara7777
Registered Member

I agree that when it comes to bikes it's not if you drop it, it's when. When people asked me if I'd ever dropped my bike my response was always not yet. (Can't say that anymore after this weekend.) My dad is the best rider I know or have ever known. Used to race bikes in the 80's and has been riding since before he was my age. He still drops a bike about once every three years. It's not just your experience that will keep you from hitting the deck it's other factors. (Other vehicles mostly.) That the people mentioned didn't ever drop is cool. But that generally isn't the case. I tell every one that wants to get on a bike that if the idea of falling off that bike scares them they're better off not getting on one.
-67 Dodge Polara (383 punched 30, Heavy head work, Mopar Performance single plane intake, Holley 750, electric fuel pump, Holley regulator, .484 duration cam, FRIED bottom end!) DOH!!! Fried the #1 rod bearing. Stroker kit coming!
-01 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Clear lenses, shaved fender, rear signals in the rear housing, baffles removed, Deals Gap dragon on the tail.)
polara7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:34 PM   #19
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I don't plan on ever dropping my bike as a matter of fact. I don't expect to wreck my cars, or drop my bike. I know it may happen, but to expect it to? No thanks. I have way more optimism than that. I wouldn't ride if I expected to wipe out. Dropping a bike every three years sounds a lot more like a riding style issue than anything else.

Incidentally, my friend dropped my bike just before I bought it from him. He was going like 5mph and hit the front brake too hard on wet pavement.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:56 PM   #20
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
I don't plan on ever dropping my bike as a matter of fact. I don't expect to wreck my cars, or drop my bike. I know it may happen, but to expect it to? No thanks. I have way more optimism than that. I wouldn't ride if I expected to wipe out. Dropping a bike every three years sounds a lot more like a riding style issue than anything else.

Incidentally, my friend dropped my bike just before I bought it from him. He was going like 5mph and hit the front brake too hard on wet pavement.
I agree... I've never gone down *knock on wood* and I don't plan on it.