MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   need help deciding (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=47366)

drgoldfoot 11-06-2005 04:03 PM

need help deciding

everyone in my family are chevy fans but ive always loved fords Recently i have found several cars on some hunting property that i own i want to put some power in a 91 4 cylinder mustang i have a 390 a 351w 351c i want to know which would be the best for my application the motor will be relatively stock maybe bored out but will not be used for racing these motors are in 60 and early 70 model cars all in which had hoods on them none of the cars have been driven or ran in 20+ years so i know a complete rebuild will need to be done if any one can it will be appreciated will the blocks come a part fairly easily or is there a trick to removing rust engine bolts thanks

Orange97GTVert 11-06-2005 11:22 PM

Re: need help deciding

351W will be the easiest to build and shoehorn into a 91. The performance market is much better than for the 351C. The 390 of course has enormous potential as a performer, but it I am not sure if it will physically fit without lots of modification. My vote is the 351W.

82 GT 11-07-2005 04:02 PM

I agree. The 351w will be the easiest. If money isn't an issue and you have good mechanical skills, then I would definately get that 390 but it sounds as if the 35w would be best for your situation and purposes.

You could sell both the 351c and 390 REALLY easy to get started on your project.

82 GT 11-07-2005 04:07 PM

I got to thinking...how do you "find" several vehicles?
Maybe you should find out who owns them first.

Orange97GTVert 11-07-2005 04:09 PM

:p That's funny! I wish I could find a bunch of engines like that!

bmxmon 11-07-2005 05:26 PM

hey, he owns the property.

82 GT 11-08-2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxmon
hey, he owns the property.

Does that mean I can keep your dog or cat if it comes on my property?
I pay rent to the landlord, it doesn't mean all my shit is his. :rolleyes:

Capri306 11-08-2005 01:56 PM

If he lives in Michigan like I do, he probably mowed the yard and found the cars. :p

Mr 5 0 11-08-2005 04:22 PM

I think it's a safe bet to assume the 'found' cars were considered junked and abandoned on drgoldfoot's private property. Every state has a different law on this but generally, if a vehicle is simply abandoned on your private property and it's ownership is unknown, it's yours to do with as you wish. After all, the car's former owner (a) obviously didn't want the car and, (b) he used your private property as a dumping ground. In most cases, the property owner would have to pay to have the junked car removed from his property. In this case, at least the property owner (or a family member) can get something out of the abandoned vehicle, which we will have to assume is worth keeping.

On the question asked: I also vote for the 351W engine as the best candidate for a fairly 'easy' transplant. Just remember that the car will need better suspension in front (14-year-old 4-cylinder springs won't do the job) and some mild beefing, such as frame connectors, in order to handle the 351 safely.

82 GT 11-08-2005 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr 5 0
I think it's a safe bet to assume the 'found' cars were considered junked and abandoned on drgoldfoot's private property. Every state has a different law on this but generally, if a vehicle is simply abandoned on your private property and it's ownership is unknown, it's yours to do with as you wish. After all, the car's former owner (a) obviously didn't want the car and, (b) he used your private property as a dumping ground. In most cases, the property owner would have to pay to have the junked car removed from his property. In this case, at least the property owner (or a family member) can get something out of the abandoned vehicle, which we will have to assume is worth keeping.

I love it!! You always find a way to involve politics in your answers.
Yes, we all know the vehicles were long abandoned and were simply teasing him....you know..having a little fun?

bmxmon 11-09-2005 02:13 PM

haha, good point. I think you could shoot my cat and dogs if they came on your property though....

Mr 5 0 11-09-2005 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82 GT

I love it!! You always find a way to involve politics in your answers.
Yes, we all know the vehicles were long abandoned and were simply teasing him....you know..having a little fun?

I simply gave a practical response to the issue of ownership of abandoned vehicles that had been raised. I really don't see anything 'political' in that post but if you think you do, well, O.K. then. No problem.

82 GT 11-09-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

I really don't see anything 'political' in that post but if you think you do, well, O.K. then. No problem.

A quick little grammer lesson here: The word "politics" is not goverment specific, although, it's the definition most people are most familiar with.
It also means: Social relations involving authority or power , which is relative to the above discussion.
Ok, class dismissed! :p

rwhite65 11-09-2005 07:12 PM

Ok first, I love Mr. 5.0's responses…. Always thoughtful and well spoken. I bet getting him a little intoxicated would be a riot! If he lived closer I would do my best to see it.

Ok, now the real issue. I personally would like to see the 390. They are rare anymore and a big block, which is cool to say. It would be more expensive then the 351w and some would argue don’t use the 390 since it is rare, sell it.

Personally, if it was me on a budget for speed, use the 351w with the possibility of a cheap stroker kit. If it was a street machine that I wanted to turn heads, the 390 is a good start.
Ryan

Mr 5 0 11-10-2005 04:19 PM

Letting it go

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82 GT

A quick little grammer lesson here: The word "politics" is not goverment specific, although, it's the definition most people are most familiar with.

It also means: Social relations involving authority or power , which is relative to the above discussion.

Ok, class dismissed! :p

Your 'lesson' might have been more effective had you spelled 'grammar' correctly. It's a bit difficult to take someone seriously when they presume to 'teach' another poster about word usage and then begin their post with a conspicuous mistake in their own spelling, just four words in. Perhaps the would-be 'teacher' needs a remedial spelling course. ;)

That problematic issue aside, I still see nothing 'political' in the post in question, no matter what definition you may choose to employ. At best, it's a stretch. However, I am aware that such esoteric adventures in syntax are of little use to most folks. So, while I disagree with your use of the word 'political' to describe my previous comments, I can agree to simply file it under: 'Who Cares?' and by doing so, just let it go. :)

Note to Ryan

If you got me drunk you probably wouldn't be able to understand me at all. Better to leave well enough alone. ;)

82 GT 11-10-2005 05:21 PM

Re: Letting it go

Quote:

Your 'lesson' might have been more effective had you spelled 'grammar' correctly. It's a bit difficult to take someone seriously when they presume to 'teach' another poster about word usage and then begin their post with a conspicuous mistake in their own spelling, just four words in. Perhaps the would-be 'teacher' needs a remedial spelling course. ;)

Yeah, I noticed that after I typed it. You can file that in your "who cares" file as well.
I do agree with you that it wouldn't be wise to get you drunk. It would turn you into an even bigger asshole!
Speaking of assholes, they ruined a perfect asshole when they put teeth in your mouth!! :D

rwhite65 11-11-2005 02:36 AM

Mr. 5.0-
I still think u would be fun, but note taken ... :D
Ryan

MEDIK418 11-11-2005 11:45 AM

Although I wasn't fortunate enough to find it on any land I won. . .wait a minute, I did actually. Anyway, I went with a 351C in my 86 LX. I had a truckload of Cleveland parts laying around and had done it with the youngest son's car so I built one for mine, (midlife crisis thing)
I would do it again but these guys are right. It's a pain in the butt. Almost everything you do with the swap has to be modified or invented. If you're looking at an easy swap, the Windsor is the better bet. If you're looking for a unique sound like no Windsor on the planet. . go with the Cleveland.
One thing to keep in mind. I spent nearly 8 grand building this thing and for that, you can make a killer 351-W. Mine should put out around 380-400 horses (and it feels like it will) without NOS, 500 with. Had I spent an equal amount on a Windsor, there would have been a blower, stroker hit and I'm guessing around 6-700 horses out of that.
I know that's a stretch for someone just wanting to swap but it illustrates the point that dollar for dollar, the Windsor would give you more bang for the buck.

That said, I still love this cleveland thing.

MEDIK418 11-11-2005 12:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some idea of how a Cleveland fits in a Fox. The car's not finished yet so please don't think me slovenly. I did findc out that the hood would no longer fit. The distributor and carb stick up about 2 inches too far.

Capri306 11-11-2005 12:57 PM

Boy you weren't kiddin' about that distributor!!! :eek: BTW, I know the "Cleveland" sound you're referring to: like some sort of hell-daemon once it's revved up. :cool: