MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-09-2003, 02:59 AM   #1
thdrcat
Registered Member

Default need lots of advise + a funny story bout a hood.

some of you might remember my post a while back introducing myself and my car. WELLLL...... i need some help.

i recently had an alterntor go bad, or so i thought. it turns out that when i replaced my instro cluster with a 140 mph one, i screwed up the wiring in 1 (count it: 1) place and that caused my alternator to not work. just an an fyi, the accsesory wire from your volatge reg actully goes through the dash light.

anyway, i replaced the alternator with a 3g to supplement my thump thump stereo and underdrives. it took me 4 days to trace the problem to the dash. I fixed it last night and drove the car to work. When i went to lunch the damned fuel pump went out and stranded me at the food place.

here is the point:

what rate/brand fuel pump do i need? i was thinking a 190 lph one from BBK would do. No reason to get the $200 ford racing one, since my car is mostly stock..... although that is going to change VERY soon.

some of you might remember that my t-5 is dead in 2nd gear. i found a place in town that will rebuild it for 150$ + parts, and i can bring my own in. any recommendations as far as what rebuild kit to get to make my t-5 uber?

on one of my many trips from the parts house to my home, at about 50 mph my hood came up. Luckily it smashed niether my sunroof, nor my windshield. The hinges, cowl grill, thost metal things to the right + left of the cowl grill, the hood, and some parts of the roof are horribly mangled. anyone know of a good brand of hood, perferable with a 2" cowl at this point i say **** the hinges, i'll go with a lift off hood.
thdrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but just remember your not alone...

I upgraded to the G3 alt and replaced my gauges. After I put everything back together, that's when I found out that I needed that jumper wire like you talked about. So I had fun tearing everything apart again...

I have a 190lph fuel pump (that was my first mod when my car was stock). I'm still running it I'm sure the BBK one will work fine for you.

I also had my hood fly up on me I forgot to put my hood pins back in after working on my car one night. So the next morning when I was going to work... SMACK!!!! The hood came up at 35mph. It only crushed my cowl grill, the metal panels on the side of it, and took a little nick out of my hood. Windsheild is ok

I recomend Cervinis or Harwood for the best fitting/quality hoods. In fact, I'm going to get a 4" lift off here soon.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
XR1stang
Registered Member

I second the Cervini/Hardwood recommendation. I personally have a Cervini hood and it fits perfect. I had very little issue in getting it to line up right, only had a small issue with the secondary lock on the hood.

I don't know anything about T5 rebuild kits so I can't help you there.

The BBK 190lph fuel pump should work fine for you. I have installed a couple of them on friends cars and they are running just great.

XR1stang
Old 01-10-2003, 01:03 PM   #4
stangsrule
Registered Member

I say hands down Cervini's is the best. I have had several body shops tell me that they were the best finished hoods they had seen. What you save in purchasing a cheaper hood else where you will end up spending on prep work. I know a friend that had a Harwood and maybe it was the exception but even after he and his painter spent several days trying to get it looking right it is still full of waves and looks like crap... My Cervini hood only needed scuffed and painted and fit awesome.
As far a fuel pumps go I have heard that there are a couple of companies that make them for everyone. Don't know for sure if it is true or not but any name brand one should be fine. I started with a BBK 190 and now have a Walbro 255 HP and both have been fine.
And as for your T5 I would say to go with a WC Z spec which is supposed to have stronger gears with a taller first and fifth. I bought a new one a while back and love it. Good luck with what ever you decide!
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: