MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-27-2002, 01:17 AM   #1
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Exclamation Need A New Verte Top! Help Me!

OKAY..... TOPLESS is now sporting a lovely duct tape patch on her canvas top!!!!!! By the hinges where there is alot of wear, it finally tore, and now is a good sized GASH! I went on a road trip last weekend and knew if I didn't ducttape it , I'd be totally TOPLESS by the time I got to where I was going.....Its held up, but its pretty frigin' tacky....especially for me!!!!
Has anyone had to replace thier top on their '94-95 verte? The window is in good condition. should I just order the canvas top or WHAT???? I"m a little freaked out by this...I knew it would happen but I guess it wouldve been later down the line!!!
Ive seen the tops for under $200? Can I sill use my original window? Has anyone done this yet???? Please...input asap!!!! I need to take care of it now!!! Thanks!!!! Topless(hopefully not for good!) aarrruuuggghhhhh

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 01:27 AM   #2
Ty'97Cobra
Registered Member

Cool

If I were you I would get the whole top (+ glass window) replaced. Replacing the top w/out the window, is a waste of money, ie. in 1+2 years, the back liner will crack. The back window will wear out eventually (b4 the new top does).

I would definately replace the whole top + glass.
Speaking from experience.
#2459 of 5082

Visit my city http://diggstown.myminicity.com/

Ty'97Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
andy669
Registered Member

Replacing that glass is very costly! I checked in to it because mine is water spotted very bad. The glass company told me around $950 just to buy the glass. I'm sure if you knew someone who worked there they could probably get it cheaper.

I had my top replaced about 2 years ago. It was in excellent shape (for being a 94) but some idiot decided it would look better if they cut it up. I too did the black duct tape thing for a few months until I could get it fixed. hehehehe..... Everything thats been done to my car has been done by me. Except for the top!..lol... I have never done one before and I dont even know what tools I would need to do it. The upholstery shop charged me $850 to replace it. $350 was labor, and the top was $500. Assuming that the business had a 100% markup the top probably cost them $250.

A good friend of mine works for a ford dealership so I had him check in to getting one for me. The cost on it was around $700! I explained this to the guy at the upholstery shop because I was concerned that the $500 top I was getting was inferior. He claimed that he gets his replacement tops from the same place that Ford does, so he could eliminate Ford's markup. I dont know if thats true or not, but the top looks original and it is holding up very well.

If the piece that holds your rear glass is looking ratty I would have it replaced. A brand new top is going to make that old piece look even worse! If its in good shape, I'd say leave it! I can think of better things to spend $1200 on!
andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Topping it off

Topless:

For what it's worth: Mustangs Unlimited catalog list new, original-equipment-specification convertible tops with rear glass included for $259. Carries a 3 year warranty. A new pad set lists for $25. Not bad but installation is the problem. Don't try to install a new top yourself.

I would try to find a good auto upholstery shop and have them replace your top and rear window. Convertible top replacement is a job for professionals who know all the tricks and have the proper tools. If they supply the top you'll probably pay close to $1000. as andy669 did, so be sure to get a warranty.

Top relacement is a part of the 'price' of owning a convertible, unfortunately. Hope you can find a good deal.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote