MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-29-2000, 07:41 PM   #1
chuck88
Registered Member

Question need opinion on some cars

My wife's car was totaled by a tree.(it fell on her car) she was thinking about a Cavalier, sunfire and a grand am. She just needs basic transportation, rice is out of the question.
What do you guys and girls think of the cars I listed. I am wondering about reliability and longivity. Thanks

Chuck88
chuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 08:02 PM   #2
Paratrooper
Registered Member

I'm driving a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE right now, and I'm fairly pleased with it. I mean, I'm going to get rid of it as soon as I can, to get a Mustang... *grins* But for what I use it for, it's great.

I drive it pretty hard, and it hasn't had any problems yet. There's a fair amount of room in the car, trunk and backseat... And mine gets great gas mileage. Everyone in my company always wants to borrow it when they go on long drives... *chuckles*

Only problem with it is a slightly scratched bumper, when I...er, attempted to go next to an ATM. In reverse. *ahem* But I'm sure your wife is more responsible then that. Good car.

Take care,

Thomas
Paratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 08:17 PM   #3
fastang
Registered Member

I personly hate all of those GM products. They break and break again. Look at a Chrysler 300M or some of the new VW products. The newer Chrylsers really are nice cars. The newer Fords are nice too. They both had a crappy 80's-early 90's though.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, K&N, off road pipes, ADS chip, pulleys, msd coil,9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 09:07 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quality built into those GM products is almost nil. They are inexpensive, and on the inside you can tell they are just plain cheap.

Sunfires have horrible reputations, historically Grand Am's have been very unreliable, especially the ones equipped with the quad 4's. The Cavalier has been the best of those in reliability, but they are very plasticky, and cheaply built.

I've never been in a Focus, so it's hard to say how they are, every one seems to like them, but then again, they are the new car on the block so they get major attention. Chrysler products have historically been the cheapest, most horribly engineered piles of junk to ever roll down the road. Quality control has been nothing short of awful, it's why they've been bankrupt and nearly closed the doors. Initial quality is higher on the newer models, but I seriously doubt the 35k 300M is in the budget if you are looking at cars less than 1/2 the price.

If I were in your shoes I'd try to pony up a couple more thou, and get out of the very thriftiest cars. Move up a spot to something like a Cougar. I like the Cougar's, they are pretty inexpensive well appointed, and they aren't quite as cheap looking and feeling as the bargain basement cars.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 09:51 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

GM is junk and Chrysler isn't much better.
This is why Jpaenese cars sell so well here.
I would consider a Contour or Focus. No world-beaters but decent cars with some quality built in. That's my choice for a grocery-getter.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 10:09 PM   #6
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
Get her a Geo Metro! Dirt cheap on gas (MPG of 46 city, 51 highway), 0-60mpph in about 12sec., 1/4 mile in about 18sec, 3-cyl putting out a whopping 52HP and 58lb/ft. of torque. Can you feel the power!

Just kidding. The cars you listed are all really good. My neighbour owns one of the new Sunfire GTs; very nice car. One of my co-workers bought a new 2001 Grand AM Se 2-dr; very nice car. Infact, we had two other guys who owned mid-90s Grand Ams (they both quit). So I guess it's a good car. I've never known anyone who drives a Cavalier, but it's same stuff as Sunfire (ya know they saying Same sh*t, different colour).

If I had to choose between those three, I'd go with the Cavalier or Sunfire cuz they're a bit cheaper and better on milage then the Grand Am.

BTW, I had to sell the Geo to buy my 'stang. I miss the fact that that car was dirt cheap on gas.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 10:36 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

If I was going for all out economy, the Jetta TDI or Golf TDI would be way up there on my shopping list.

Significantly more power than a Metro, and just as good on gas, er ah, diesel . They do cost more though. Still, they aren't as cheap "builtwise" as the cars you've listed, a nice step up.
Old 12-30-2000, 01:17 AM   #8
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Slap, Slap you sissies Buy a MUSTANG, preferably a 00'GT. Egad you'd think 265 hp was like a lot of hp or something
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 06:59 AM   #9
scott93gt
Registered Member

You should at least drive a Focus. They are terrific cars and very little quality control issues. The DOHC 2.0L 16 valve engine (130 HP) when mated to a 5 speed is a lot of fun to drive. The four door Focus can hold 5 adults and 3 full size suit cases or 50 shoe boxes! (Ford showed us that in a training video). Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Scott93GT
1993 Silver CC/Titanium Accent GT, Black Clothe interior.
5 speed, 3.08's, 3 chamber Flows, K&N, Hurst Competition Plus.

Click HERE to see my 1993 GT.

1991 F150 4x4 XLT Lariat Six Stick Reg. Cab Tow vehicle
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 10:36 AM   #10
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

CHUCK!

Stay as far away from Chrysler as possible... I think you already figured that out already. They absolutly don't give fly F*JGE about customer service, at the head office and dealerships.

Did you look at the focus? or even cougar?

BTW, did you guy's know that Colin Mcrae's Ford Focus(Rally Racing)generates over 360hp and 440ftlb torque through an all-wheel drive traction, all in a package that ways, well virtually nothing (for a car).

I'm sorry guys but I would trade my 2000 Gt for THAT FOCUS any day! Looks like the most fun you can have with your close on.

GO FOCUS GO.

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT
"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 12:09 PM   #11
rbatson

I wouldn't own another Chrysler product, period. Customer service is non-existant. If I was looking for an economy car in that price range($11k), I'd probably go look at the saturns.
Old 12-30-2000, 12:21 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Saturn especially the SL-1 is a very high rated car for college students. Actually the highest due to low insurance, inexpensive price, and proven decent reliability. The SL-2 gets a hotter engine, and raises the insurance. The SC series is more expensive to insure.

That being said, they are much like a Neon, or a Cavalier. Cheap. They sound cheap, they feel cheap, and they are built cheap.
Old 12-30-2000, 03:56 PM   #13
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Don't even think of getting a Chrysler product. They are the biggest pieces of, well let's not go there. My wife has a Neon and it had a rod bearing go out at 36,000 miles. We then decided it would be good to get the extended warranty and I'm glad we did because it now has 65,000 miles on it and it's knocking again

And don't even get me started on GM. I know every car can be a potential lemon, but I have had nothing but problems with both of these makes. I have owned 5 Ford vehicles and have never had any major problems with any of them, and the problems I have had with them were due to previous owners' neglect.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 04:31 PM   #14
Rev
Registered Member

Does anyone besides me think that the Focus is ugly?

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 04:46 PM   #15
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I did n't say it looks good.

Colin Mcrae's Focus flys though.

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT
>> 13.698 @ 101.2MPH - BONE STOCK, yes BONE(even air filter) stock.

"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 09:03 PM   #16
T_Bone
Registered Member

My mother had an 87 Cavalier. Biggest piece of rust bucket s#it I ever saw. It had major problems. I've driven a few new Cavaliers. They seem very cheaply made too.

Neon, kinda ugly, but peppy little cars. I've driven a few of these also. They are not the best built either. They have thier share of problems.

Focus, just plain hurts the eyes to look at 'em.

Sunfires seem ok. No direct experience to compare.

Grand Am, I had a 94 SE before the 96GT. I drove it for almost 5 years, and the only thing I ever had to replace or buy for it was an alternator. It had the V6 and was very strong for a family car. I could nail it at 80, and it would throw you back pretty good. Quick off the line too. It definitely held its own. It was also well buit. In that 4 1/2 years, I put about 80,000 miles on it. It had about 116,000 when I traded it in on the Mustang, and was still a great car. It was our only transportation for awhile, and we have three kids. I would recommend it over any of the other cars. But do not get the 4-banger!

------------------
T-Bones 1997 Cobra
Wht/blk, Pro 5.0,FRPP 4.10's, aluminum driveshaft, FRPP throttle body, C&L 80mm MAF, K&N, Steeda U/D pulleys, Steeda timing adjuster, Flowmasters, s/f connectors, FRPP pro springs, BBK caster/cambers.
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 10:00 PM   #17
wht99GT
Registered Member

We were just in the market for an "economical" car and decided on the Jetta GLS. Granted, I went from a 99Gt to the Jetta so I am not impressed with the power but it is a great car. If I had it to do all over again, I would. If you are going more for economics, rather than looks, I would possibly go with the Civic.
wht99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 03:02 AM   #18
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

I should have asked this in my last post in this thread...
My wife is looking at getting another car too and was considering a Kia Sophia. Anyone have any comments on these? In our phone book the add for them says something about them being "Well made cars". Any comments?

I've told my wife that Fords have been good to me and that she should consider a Focus, but she thinks they are ugly. I kinda like em myself.

I also told her that she should look at Volkswagon's because I know they have a reputation for being nearly indestructable. I'm not one for buying foreign products, but wouldn't mind her buying a piece of German engineering.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 07:27 AM   #19
scott93gt
Registered Member

AxemanZZ,

I would be cautious of the Kia, their value drops like a brick as soon as you drive them off the lot. I know that this is the case with all new cars but the Kia, Daewoo, etc REALLY drop. Remember when Hyundia came out in the late 80's? My brother-in-law bought one because "it was such a great deal". Too bad it was over 100 miles to get any service work done and when he did get it serviced it usually took 3 times to get it fixed correctly. In short, you get what you pay for. Get your wife to drive a Focus and she will soon forget how "ugly" it is.

------------------
Scott93GT
1993 Silver CC/Titanium Accent GT, Black Clothe interior.
5 speed, 3.08's, 3 chamber Flows, K&N, Hurst Competition Plus.

Click HERE to see my 1993 GT.

1991 F150 4x4 XLT Lariat Six Stick Reg. Cab Tow vehicle
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 12:08 PM   #20
rbatson

Just seeing "Made in Korea" on a plastic toy makes me grimace, I surely don't want a car that's made there.