MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-21-2001, 06:20 PM   #1
SYCLONE
Registered Member

Post new guy needs help from knowledgeable guys

hello here's the deal I've decided to sell my GMC syclone and get a mustang GT 88-92 fox,I will be focusing first on apearance and handling,the car will be used for a daily driver and some long haul trips,I was thinking of adding a SC is this abad idea, will it be reliable? what mods compliment the supercharger for reliability? I'm not going to be trying to run 11's just add more power,the cars main focus will be cornering,also is it considered "cleashe" to make a saleen look alike? and if you have any other imput please feel free to tell me thanks for your time!! Sam
SYCLONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 09:14 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

As long as you keep the boost reasonable, 6-8 psi, make sure its getting plenty of fuel, and stay up on the maintanance it will be very reliable.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 09:38 PM   #3
wd302
Registered Member

Just like snakedriver said, keep the boost reasonable and please keep up on the maintanance. Man I hate to see any stang be left to go to crap.

------------------
91GT w/Procharger, GT40 upper, lower and heads, F303 cam, 70mm T/B w/ 24lbs. and 190lph f/p, BBK headers, Bassani X-pipe, 2chambered flows with ss tips, 2800 stall w/ 4:10s, Cobra ground effect kits w/ wing and 2 1/2 cowl, etc.
More mods coming soon to a street near you, haha
wd302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 10:27 PM   #4
exgmguy
Registered Member

for stone reliability you might want to look into an A-trim Vortech. It is their entry level blower (6 psi) You can run low 13's-high 12's with basic bolt-ons and this blower.

It sells in all the mags for about 1800 bucks, and you can easily install it yourself.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT

12.0 @ 121 on radials
S-trim Vortech sitting in a box!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 09:19 AM   #5
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Having a blown car, I think I will be able to answer most of your questions. First, look at all the different SC's out there and find the one you want. I recommend a Vortech, but it may not be for you. Second, I highly recommend an aftercooler. The tempature of the boost, without a cooler, is enough to cause detonation by itself, if you don't keep it tuned properly at all times. You'll need to think about FMU's and ignition boxes. I recommend MSD's 6-BTM, it has a built in boost retard. However, I am having problems with the stock ignition blowing my MSD boxes. I am not sure what is causing it, if you are curios to find out if this something you need to worry about, call MSD like I am and find out if it is something in the stock igintion that will cause this.
Sorry for this being so long, bu this is just the begining. If you want, you can e-mail me and I'll send you some more info. This should be enough to point you in the right direction. Hope I've helped some.

Oh, and why get rid of the Cyclone, and how much you want for it?
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 09:53 AM   #6
spinemup
Registered Member

what the heck are you thinking? id much rather have a turbocharged limited edition truck compared to a run of the mill mustang. i love having a mustang because its fast and cheap but i love those turbo trucks too. ill trade with you!

------------------

THE MIGHTY NOTCH
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 05:06 PM   #7
SYCLONE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhitecobra:
Having a blown car, I think I will be able to answer most of your questions. First, look at all the different SC's out there and find the one you want. I recommend a Vortech, but it may not be for you. Second, I highly recommend an aftercooler. The tempature of the boost, without a cooler, is enough to cause detonation by itself, if you don't keep it tuned properly at all times. You'll need to think about FMU's and ignition boxes. I recommend MSD's 6-BTM, it has a built in boost retard. However, I am having problems with the stock ignition blowing my MSD boxes. I am not sure what is causing it, if you are curios to find out if this something you need to worry about, call MSD like I am and find out if it is something in the stock igintion that will cause this.
Sorry for this being so long, bu this is just the begining. If you want, you can e-mail me and I'll send you some more info. This should be enough to point you in the right direction. Hope I've helped some.

Oh, and why get rid of the Cyclone, and how much you want for it?
although the syclone is a real fun truck and I have put alot of money in it I just want something to work on with more of an aftermarket backing,and that handles ,I mean for a truck it handles and brakes quite well but I'm really into canyon carving ,and I have the truck maxed out on handling, about the after cooler are they air to air, water? and price and install,I've already picked a whole bunch of mustang mags and I have a freind who is a good mechanic ,and I'm am getting pretty good myself,but the syclone is a handfull to work on becuase of the drive train, thanks ,it's good to know their will be some great guys like you out there that will even be nice to a rookie like me,I always love my vehicles and take good care of them so maintnece isn't that high of an issue,Sam
Old 01-22-2001, 05:11 PM   #8
SYCLONE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spinemup:
what the heck are you thinking? id much rather have a turbocharged limited edition truck compared to a run of the mill mustang. i love having a mustang because its fast and cheap but i love those turbo trucks too. ill trade with you!

give me 3k in cash and you got a deal!!! I got the title
Old 01-22-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
dirtyGT
Registered Member

Talking

I like the prochargers they come with intercoolers and most of the top nmra racers run them so you can't go wrong.As far as handeling goes steeda,salleen,maxium motorsports can help you from mild to wild coner carving oh and kenny brown sells kits that are good.But whats up with the truck those things are sweet and most people don't know what they are that's what makes them fun but anyways good luck with your stang

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,much more to come
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 05:51 PM   #10
SYCLONE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtyGT:
I like the prochargers they come with intercoolers and most of the top nmra racers run them so you can't go wrong.As far as handeling goes steeda,salleen,maxium motorsports can help you from mild to wild coner carving oh and kenny brown sells kits that are good.But whats up with the truck those things are sweet and most people don't know what they are that's what makes them fun but anyways good luck with your stang

true that especially old guys in new VETTE's the sycone may only do the 1/4 in 12.8 but the o-60 is 4.5 and sixty foot times like 1.4 1.6 on the street people are so lost!!! "what the hell was that"???? that is where it's the most fun!!! and the imports are the funniest, eclipses ans honda think some things wrong " my clutch is slippin" yeah right!!!

[This message has been edited by SYCLONE (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-23-2001, 01:02 AM   #11
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Wink

Hang on to the truck for a few more months!!! I'm moving out to Arizona and I have an extra 3K to spend on that little turbo terror of yours. As far as the after cooler goes for the Vortech, it's air to water. It seems a bit pricy at first, but well worth it. Installation is a breeze if you have worked on your truck at all. Also, you should start by going to a Mustang shop around your area and see if any of the guys there have a SC car for you to ride in and get an idea of what you are getting into. They are deffinatly a handful. Mine has about 525 at the rear, but this is an educated guess by seat of the pants. Oh, and did I mention that I want your truck?
Old 01-23-2001, 02:09 AM   #12
rbatson

I love my mustangs but dude, your gonna miss your truck..
If I had a truck that ran 12.8, I'd keep it!
Old 01-23-2001, 06:06 PM   #13
SYCLONE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhitecobra:
Hang on to the truck for a few more months!!! I'm moving out to Arizona and I have an extra 3K to spend on that little turbo terror of yours. As far as the after cooler goes for the Vortech, it's air to water. It seems a bit pricy at first, but well worth it. Installation is a breeze if you have worked on your truck at all. Also, you should start by going to a Mustang shop around your area and see if any of the guys there have a SC car for you to ride in and get an idea of what you are getting into. They are deffinatly a handful. Mine has about 525 at the rear, but this is an educated guess by seat of the pants. Oh, and did I mention that I want your truck?
I should clarify this for you the $3K was plus his notch for my truck,so your still gonna need 10K or just give me your cobra!! I actually did ride in blown 91 notch and that's what kinda sparked this whole mustang thing ,,that and another guy fricken crushed me in a SC notch on the streets he even took off right next to me off the line,that never happens!!!! I guess the handful is what I want . The syclone is a NO-BRAINER gas brake boost gauge step and repeat!!!!
Old 01-23-2001, 11:14 PM   #14
dirtyGT
Registered Member

PRO CHARGER

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,much more to come
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 11:50 PM   #15
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Wink

$10k? Hmmm, Have to think about that one!! Well, all I can say is go for it! I love seeing guys come over from the dark side. Just my Cobra, huh? Sorry, you spoke the unspeakable! I shall never get rid of her. Her name is Gurtrude, and she is my baby! Good luck and keep me posted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: