MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-14-2001, 10:16 PM   #1
pro88
Registered Member

Question new K&N filter

Is there anybody running that new K&N filter where it's also filtering through the top? I'm thinking about buying one for my driver and I'm looking for the pros and cons about it. Hopefully this new filter is a good thing.
pro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 11:07 AM   #2
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
I bought a cone filter (closed top) for my '89 LX 5.0L a few weeks ago, and overall, I do feel a slight difference. Main difference would be the noise of the car. It sounds louder (inside and outside) and has a different idle/accelerating sound from what I had heard before putting on the K&N. I think it sounds better.

I paid $100CDN ($69US) and I haven't exactly experienced any major power gains, but I think there is some there. Also, I've plans to setup a ram air system before summmer arrives.

As for recommendation for buying it? Well, if you don't mind shelling out $70US for one, then go ahead, but don't expect WAAAY too much from it. It's almost become more of a cosmetic thing, then of as a power-adder.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 10:44 PM   #3
pro88
Registered Member

The money isn't a concern really, but you mentioned all you really notice is a noise difference. Sounds like it really wouldn't be worth it. Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else running one of these filters?
Old 01-17-2001, 10:23 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

pro88

I had a K&N and had to change it for reasons that had nothing to do with the K&N. Now I got some stupid Purolator (hope I didn't offend anyone). My car is DEFINITELY not breathing as well as it was when it had the K&N. In february, along w/ 3.55s, I'm adding the K&N Extreme filter (the top and bottom ~$120 total) b/c from experience, I'm convinced that K&N is worth the money. (you've gotten your money's worth within the first year alone).

“…because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends.” ---Revenge of the Nerds

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 2.73:1 gears (sucks!) (awaiting installation of 3.55s)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Sucky Purolator air filter that's choking my car.
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 12:33 PM   #5
Moxie
Registered Member

Any of the cotton gauze filters are a big improvement over paper. K&N is the popular brand, although Ford Racing, Holley, and S&B all offer filters that are the same as the K&N.

------------------
Moxie Racing
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 12:59 PM   #6
cleangreenmachine

Yeah, the Ford Racing gauze filters are actually made by K&N for Ford. At least that's what it says in the 2001 FR catalog. The only difference is the Ford ones are blue.

Oh and BTW you will likely never notice a "seat of the pants" performance boost from a K&N. But the price is a bargain considering how long they last. Even if they were in no way better than a paper filter they're still reusable. Chucking a stock filter in the trash every few months is just plain wasteful.

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible

[This message has been edited by cleangreenmachine (edited 01-18-2001).]
Old 01-18-2001, 07:30 PM   #7
pro88
Registered Member

I had no idea Ford Racing and other companies have a filter that's just as good as the K&N. So far everybody seems to like them. What other companies are out there that cater to Mustang drag racing. I'm not running E.F.I. on either of my cars. Let me know guys!!!!
Old 01-19-2001, 06:07 AM   #8
S Howard
Registered Member

I installed one in my '97 six months or so ago. The motor seems to breath better but what I totally like is the 50K mile cleaning. Lets see you do that with a paper filter. The cone filter is only $40 at DAP.
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote