MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2001, 12:31 PM   #1
MrJo1094
Registered Member

Thumbs up New Mustang Rumor?

Ok, I heard a rumor. A friend says he read it on one of these sites. Its been a year since I have been here, and cant remember my password, so got me a new ID.

Ford is going to build the FOX body again. Call it a Mustang GTS, or Mustang FOX, names are still up for grabs.
It is only going to be in a coupe body.
The same 5.0 and T-5 only engine tranny option.
A/C option with cruise, mirrors, and tilt-which is new-(still airbag equipped though, darn feds!)
3.55 gears standard.
5 lug, 4 wheel disk, solid axle.
No Radio.
Possible coilovers all around.
Torque arm option for the rear.
It will still only have 215-225 horse rating.

Pricing is to be between 12-15000, for a non a/c equipped car. Just your basic racer, platform for us to start building on. Kinda like a bare bones equipped pc from what I can tell, you just add your stuff.

It was told that since the old Fox's are so successful, and will not be plentiful in the coming years due to accidents and such, that we will have a steady stream of cars unchanged for us to play with. The imports are getting cheaper by the day, and hence the success. Your average 18-25 year old cant afford a 24k car to strip down/ race prep and insure for driving, much less have pleasure racing after the expenses mount up. The hp is kept low for insurance purposes, and warranty issues. It will have some adds that the aftermarket has developed to make it more acceptable. And with the Demise of GM's F-body cars, this will guarantee the Mustang's future for a cheap pocket rocket, that is still rear drive.

My opinon, DO IT. Its a tried and tested car. Low on recalls, and if more mount, just fix it and LEAVE IT ALONE!! They are making the focus to fight imports, well sounds like they are in focus now!!! So what if the body is 14 years old, LEAVE IT ALONE. We need a future parts donor, and platform to keep us going. The new SN95 is going out to the new DEW body, WHY? Body sharing with other platforms. I understand that the FOX was shared between Fairmonts, Thunderbirds, LTD (small), but cant be that much to make. Especially if you can leave it alone for 10 more years.

I am looking for the article now, I have tried alot of different sites and cant find it. Maybe its on Z-net. Blue oval didnt have it either. Guys help me find it, paste this into other boards you might use. If it is false, well, it's still a good idea I think. What do you think?

At least it isnt a 50-60k$ Cobra R. I can take this 12-15k car, add 10k and spank any Production COBRA R. Can't you?

They already make like umpteen types of trucks, even two full size. Why not two Mustang Levels?
MrJo1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 12:45 PM   #2
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Cool

That would be great if they did that but they won't. How many car companies have you seen that has the guts to go back and rebuild on one of their older body styles? I have yet to see anyone do it. And besides, if they were going to do something that crazy why not build the fox chassis and drivetrain and drop a 66 GT body on it? To me that would be the ultimate 2002 Mustang

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 01:02 PM   #3
MrJo1094
Registered Member

The theme is to have one platform, that is very venerable. The FOX body, and chasis, which is to say, one in the same, not body on frame like in your idea. There has never been a Mustang built on a frame. The Fox body ran for 14 years, 79 to 93. Its light, and ready for the racer. No other Mustang body design really fits all the criteria from what I am understanding.

You are right, no body has done it, they keep spending high tooling costs and going "retro" with minivans and such. Plus the changes every 4-5 years make it higher. I would love to own a new 68 in 2002. But those tools have been put away for a long time. The sn95 is so close in the lower portion of the body to the fox, it would be a cinch to keep making it. In fact now that I think about it, wouldnt that be great. The new DEW comes in totally redone anyway, giving us a SUPER car Vette rival, and the Fox lives on? hmmmm... We get the added strength of the mods made to the sn95 lower subframe, and upper body fox for us to keep as spare parts for years to come.

Stay with the theme, a low cost Fox is better than, nothing at all.
Old 01-26-2001, 01:13 PM   #4
fastang
Registered Member

Its not gonna happen, Ford no longer produces ANY pushrod motors.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, off road pipes, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 01:39 PM   #5
MrJo1094
Registered Member

And didnt they quit making the Fox in 93? So who is making that block Summit sells anyway? Who makes the blocks that you can get from SVO? Maybe they can supply them for Ford. Cant you still buy an explorer with V8?
Old 01-26-2001, 03:39 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It would be an interesting, and no doubt somewhat profitable venture for Ford, but they no longer have the tooling to make the 5.0, they no longer have assembly lines setup to build such a car, they are scrapping the fox platform in the next few years altogether, so I can't see any way possible for that to happen.

The true Fox ended in 1993, the SN95's are a modified version of that chassis, still closely related.

Summit bought a bunch of the limited number of left over from Ford.

The castings for the SVO blocks are different, and they are probably running off old reserves for the standard blocks as well with their GT-40 crate motors.

No Ford is availible with the 5.0 anymore. The Explorer's V-8 was nixxed for a SOHC V-6.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 05:41 PM   #7
Ripper
Registered Member

Wink

Put the crack pipe down!

------------------
1999 GT - Laser Red
K&N, Steeda pulleys, Steeda strut tower brace & Tri-ax
(Upcoming mods: subframes (bought), Bassani X (next), & FMS 3.73s
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 10:33 PM   #8
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

2001 was the last year for the 5.0 in the Explorers. The new 2002 models have a 4.6. So, now the 5.0 in factory built form for Ford autos is offically dead. ....tear
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:23 AM   #9
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I thought 5.0s were dead even in explorer's. but i disagree with fox's being scarce, there is lot's of them, but a lot ragged out, but anything can be restored.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:44 AM   #10
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Well, I still consider the SN95s to be FOX bodies, all be it heavy FOXs.

But the only 5.0 that a new Mustang could see is the spray bore modular, a la FR500, which we all know sucks (NOTE: Massive Sacarasm)

------------------
AIM: Some97Snake

For sale: K&N Aircharger kit and Recharger kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=551794654
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote