MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-09-2002, 01:55 AM   #1
gantrexx
Registered Member

Question Engine Sound

Ok, so I'm just a guy with a '59 GT and I'm not by anymeans an expert on modifications... in fact my car is as stock as it gets.
I'm looking to give it a good sound by means of new mufflers/exhause systems. So what do I want? I have no idea.

What I do know is that I don't want a sound that's going to be heard 5 blocks away but I do want one that will turn some heads when I start up or take off. And I also don't want a sound like one of those dumb guys putting around in civics.

I'd also like something that I'm not going to have to shell out too much for. I can hold my own in a garage provided I know what I'm tying to do with some insturctions.

So advice, comments, ideas??? Please?
gantrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 03:40 AM   #2
Import Slayer
Registered Member

here is my advice. If u live in an area where you do not need aircare or to pass smog, buy an off road H pipe. and keep your cat back system. with good mufflers it will be pretty loud, but shouldnt be too loud. This way you will get to hear her bark nicely and back rap good as well. i paid 400$ canadian for one installed. (under 300$ american i think). you can probably leave the mufflers u have on now on too that way, although flowmasters would probably be the best bet for a nice mean low rumble. If u really want cheap u can throw on a pair of glasspacks (blue bottles, thrush, red hots, purple hornets, ect) on an otherwise stock exhaust system and once they get broken in they sound really nice. i dont reccomendit(although i did it ) is go to a carwash and spray a good dollars worth of water up both your tailpipes and it will speed this up. lol other wise u can buy cat back kits with pipes and mufflers from various sources im not too sure of and they are usually an alright deal. thats about all i know lol good luck

89 5 speed LX 5.0 - off road h pipe, B&M short throw, 13* timing, blue bottle glasspacks, removed air silencer, accel super stock 8mm, bosch platinum 4's, no times
Import Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 12:14 PM   #3
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Did you mean 89 GT?

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 01:42 PM   #4
gantrexx
Registered Member

Sorry, I meant a 95... dumb *** me
Old 04-09-2002, 02:18 PM   #5
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Quote:
i dont reccomendit(although i did it ) is go to a carwash and spray a good dollars worth of water up both your tailpipes and it will speed this up.

I dunno...I did that, and it made both my cats and one of my mufflers rot out. Once the rattling/buzzing sound went away -- a few months later -- it actually didn't sound too bad.
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:38 PM   #6
gantrexx
Registered Member

Ok then, another question to make me look dumb... Cat Back means what exatly?

I looked at some off road H pipes and they look pretty simple to me. Am I correct to assume that they are relatively easy to install?? (Bolt on?)

Also I was looking at some exhaust systems/mufflers on the net and I noticed 2 chamber, 3 chamber mufflers. What's the difference?
Old 04-09-2002, 10:45 PM   #7
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

A cat-back system is mufflers and tailpipes. It goes right after the H-pipe.

2-chamber and 3-chamber mufflers have two and three chambers in them, respectively, for sound control. Fewer chambers mean more noise.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:49 PM   #8
gantrexx
Registered Member

Ok. I'm just going to destroy all respect any of you might have had for me until now by making myself look really stupid here.

How is an H pipe that I would be putting in going to change the sound of my engine? Isn't it the muffler that controls the low rumbling sound? I was under the impression before I made this post that I should be changing just the mufflers... shows how much I know.

I'm sure you guys all hate me for the stupid questions, sorry... I gotta learn somehow.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:30 PM   #9
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

You might like some 3 chamber flowmasters, they are not real loud until you get on the gas at wot, if you get an h-pipe, get one without catylitic converters, (those things not far from your transmission on your exhaust) if you can get away with it, some places wont inspect the car without cats, but you can keep all that, and just get mufflers, i would just buy the mufflers, have a shop weld them in, it shouldnt cost that much?
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:36 AM   #10
Rosco
Registered Member

Default H-pipe

In respects to your h-pipe question. The H-pipe more or less cleans the gasses as they are being pushed out of your engine. During this process the gases are slowed down. The mufflers more or less just control soundlevel, dependent on if they're straight flows, or have chambers. Removing the h-pipe with the cats on, and replacing it with an h-pipe w/o cats will increase the flow. Obvisouly you could look at it as, the less obstructions...the more flow you get. So without the cats, the gases aren't slowed as much, basically pushing the gas faster inside of the tubes. Which actually shoves it into the mufflers. Did that help you at all with anything?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:09 AM   #11
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Quote:
How is an H pipe that I would be putting in going to change the sound of my engine?

Catalytic converters act like little mufflers. They do make your exhaust quieter.