MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2001, 10:53 PM   #1
69DARK1
Registered Member

Cool Newbie and 351W swap

Hi,

I'm newbie on this board and also got a '69 Mach 1 with 351W engine and FMX auto tranny few months ago. I've been learning some stuffs since I got this car and I've been looking for better performance for my engine. What I'm looking for is to make a high HP as possible for 5500 rpm like 350+. Here is the list I'm considering:

1. Edelbrock Performer intake
2. Edelbrock Performer heads
3. Edelbrock camshaft
4. Edelbrock Signature Valve Cover
5. Holley 650 cfm
6. Crane Cams 1.6 Roller Rocker Arms
7. JBA 1-5/8" shorty headers
8. 3" X-Stream Air Filter

Think that would be good enough? I don't want rough idle or too loud. How much HP do you think? Is there something else I should consider? I don't want to upgrade too many areas but I am taking my time before I can buy them. Thanks and look forward to hear some imputs.
69DARK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 07:58 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Looks like you have the basics for a good street engine that isn't "wild". Only other thing I would do is upgrade ignition. Get rid of the points and Condensor.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 09:11 PM   #3
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Dark:
You probably already have this planned, but good 2.25 inch dual exhaust with crossover or X Pipe. Also, think about getting rid of the FMX. It is hard to get preformance parts for and it is really heavy. A built C-4 will feel like it has more power simply becuase you will have lightened the car. If it were me, I would get a different carb. Don't want to knock the Holley crowd, Holley is the best for preformance, but they can be a pain to tune and run on the street.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:49 PM   #4
macx
Registered Member

I think your target may be a little high for
those particular Ed. parts. The AFR 185 heads or www.worldcasting.com new rousch-tweaked windsors will give you better street power, the Weiand Stealth will give you the best broad range torque and power with a better upper range than the Performer, and you need a cam more like a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy or one of the Crane cams, around 215 to 220 intake duration and around 475 to 500 lift which will give you good streetable power yet sufficient upper end power to reach your goals, yet be nicely driveble. That would also be a great foundation if you want to go a little bigger on the cam later. If you don't do much highway driving, a beefed C-4 is a great trans and will take all your motor will handle, but get a good plate type cooler and a good quality 2500 rpm stall converter from somebody like www.levelten.com, www.converter.com (Precision), Art Carr, etc.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote