MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-01-2001, 02:05 PM   #1
mustangmama
Registered Member

Wink Newby here, I have a question on Odometers

Hello fellow Mustang Lovers,

Just found this site, hope someone may have an answer to a question that I can't find anywhere on the net.

Hubby and I have a '86 5.0, '92 4 banger, and are thinking of buying a '93 Cobra from a private owner.

Here's the question:

Do any of you know if someone replaces a Speedometer/Odometer on a Cobra that isn't a stock Odometer, would the tenth's of a mile show up in red? Hubby thinks he read somewhere when you replace Odometer, the tenths shows in red, kinda like a hint to a buyer that it has been replaced.

Really thinking about buying this car, but question this non-stock odometer, and if it has more miles than it says.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lisa
mustangmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:03 PM   #2
DemonGT
Registered Member

i dont know about replacing them..but i disconnected my speedo so my odometer dosnt go around...looken to fix it when i get her back out for summer...seeing if i got busted that would be odometer fraud

P.S. speedo didnt work when i got her and it make a scretching sound...pissed me off..so i disconnected it

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers and Cat-back

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,FMS 9mm wires
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:13 PM   #3
mustangmama
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Demon. I was just at a part site looking at speedometers that were police approved. They didn't show any red in the tenths.

I know this odometer isn't stock for the Cobra, just hoping someone would know about it. None of the gauges looked stock. All had that white background.

Hope you get yours fixed soon, don't want any tickets, besides if you ever went to sell the car, alls you would have to say is you don't know actual mileage.

Good luck,

Lisa
mustangmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 06:43 AM   #4
scott93gt
Registered Member

An authorized Ford dealer probaboy replaced the speedometer/odometer in your car with one from Ford parts, that explains the red "tenths" on the ododmeter. It isn't anything to get too excited about if you are buying the car to keep. They are more difficult to trade to a dealer because there is such scepticism surrounding "true mileage" on a car.
A guy I work with had his speed-o replaced by Ford dealer and his tenths are red. When his was replaced, the dealer corrected the new odometer to read the same mileage as the old one. He has the appropriate paperwork to prove the correct mileage on his vehicle.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Scott93GT
1993 Mustang GT
Silver CC/Titanium Accent GT, Black Clothe interior.
5 speed, 3.08's, 3 chamber Flows, K&N, Hurst Competition Plus.

1991 F150 4x4 XLT Lariat
Six Stick Regular Cab LWB Tow Vehicle

scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: