MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2002, 10:25 PM   #1
Lonzo
Registered Member

Default simple question

sorry for the simple question but im a beginner and dont wanna mess things up.

i have a 65 mustang coupe. i am about to get it painted and want to prep it as much as possible. i still have the original running ponies on the quarterpanels and they are in rough shape so i am gonna replace them. they are posted on and my question is how do i get them off?? just pull them off?? i would like to keep them in one piece.

my second question is how do i remove the running boards along the bottom of each side?? they look like they just pop off but im not sure.

my last question is what would be the best running ponies to put on...posted or stick-on???

thx all
Lonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
fordkid68
Registered Member

no question is to simple.

when you say running boards do you mean the silverish crome peice running under the door.(see now I am asking the simple question) well if you do I am not one hundread percent sure but some one told me they slide off. however I wasn't able to figure out how to slide them off so I just pulled them off(mainly cuz I wasn't going to be putting them back on) and the passengers side I bent alitle in the rear of it. but the drivers side came off perfect.

sorry that I couldn't tell you for sure.

hope it helps and I am not just waisting posting space.

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
Lonzo
Registered Member

of course ur not waisting space and i appriciate ur input

thx
Lonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:37 AM   #4
Jeff65
Registered Member

The Pony/Tri-Bar comes off by prying carefully at the edges, working your way around the perimeter. This emblem is held on by studs on the back of the emblem and barrel nuts that pop into holes in the fender. Replace the barrel nuts when installing a new emblem else its possible an old barrel nut wont hold the emblem tight. When buying these reproduction emblems, be sure to examine them before buying. Some of them are distorted and will never hug the side of the fender like the original does. If you're buying from a local Mustang vendor, ask to see about eight to ten emblems. Pick the best from the lot...look down the edge and see that they are flat and the studs match up with your original emblem.

The rocker panel trim comes loose by taking off the end nuts just inside the front fender flare and just inside the rear fender flare. Once these nuts are off, pry up from the bottom of the molding using a 1" putty knife. Keep the putty knife as close to the trim clips as possible but just to either side of it. Replacement molding comes with either plastic or metal clips. The metal clips are much better for show cars because they mount easier and hold better. Drill out the old trim clips. Pop rivet in the new trim clips and install the molding. Put nuts on both end clips.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote