MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
rfpowerdude
Registered Member

Default Noob to Ford, not to the hobby (just want to say hey)...

Hi all, I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I posted this over on mustang-forums.com, but then I found this site and it seems to be more frequented.

A new project in which I am involved is an '89 hatchback formerly 4-cyl plain-jane Mustang. It belongs to my friend Mike and we are doing the project at my house (I have facilities). I am not one who brand bashes and I like all American muscle performance cars (closet Mustang lover). I, personally, am into Oldsmobiles and Mike is into Mustangs. He just had a really nice 347 stroker built and it now sits on a stand in my garage waiting to be installed into the aforementioned '89 chassis (AFR 205s, full roller cam/valvetrain, Kook's headers, Edel RPM Air-Gap, carb'ed, etc.). His project will be done long before my '88 Oldsmobile (over the next coupla months). It will be a fun project and I can hardly wait to go ripping down the street/track when we get it back on the road. He has acquired an AOD tranny and a rear from an '89 GT. He has bought a bunch of parts for the AOD and will leave the 3.55:1 gears in the rear alone.

I will post more when I get a webpage up on the build (pics, plans, specs, etc.). In the meantime, check out my Olds project to see what I have going on at my house (my www link).

This is gonna be one fun, ripping, sleeper of a Mustang...
rfpowerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Default Re: Noob to Ford, not to the hobby (just want to say hey)...

Welcome to MustangWorks!

Your friend's Mustang project sounds interesting - as 347 strokers usually are. Remind your friend Mike that the 4-cylinder Mustang had smaller brakes and a weaker differential than the factory V-8 -equipped Mustangs - so those components, among others, must be upgraded, along with the suspension, in order to safely handle the extra power of the 347. What is Mike's choice of transmission for the '89? I only ask because the stock trans very likely has to be replaced, anyway.

I can't speak for anyone else here but I respect Oldsmobiles. Back in the early 50's, I understand that they were considered 'musclecars' by the 'hot rodders' of the day. Quick cars...even with the weight and automatic transmissions most Oldsmobiles came with. The Olds 303 and 347 cubic inch OHV V-8's (manufactured between 1949 and 1963) were also very valued by 'GM guys' looking for a V-8 to put into their gasping, six-cylinder Chevrolet grocery-getters in order to challenge the many Ford flathead V-8's (then in Model A's and later Ford's) on the street racing scene. Yes, I've seen 'American Graffiti' too).

The mid-60's-era Olds 442 was a great idea (Oldsmobile's version of the GTO) but like it's better-known 'cousin', the Pontiac GTO, it quickly got 'fat' and was eventually killed off (in '74) by increasingly strict federal emissions requirements on the fabeled 400 cubic-inch and later, the 455 c.i. V-8's that powered the later '442'.

I am not as impressed with the late-model ('80's and '90's) Oldsmobiles for a variety of reasons. As a model that was not especially interesting in it's later years and that has been discontinued by the manufacturer, it is interesting to see anyone use the Oldsmobile as a project car. It must be a challenge. Good luck with it, all the same.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
rfpowerdude
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Mr Five Oh . As I said in my first post, he has acquired a 3.55:1 geared rear from an '89 GT and an AOD tranny (don't know the original app on the tranny). Something I didn't mention is he ordered all the suspension upgrade stuff yesterday and a new (heavier duty) steering rack. I will try to get all the specs on all the components this week and post a build page with specs and plans along with part numbers and links.

We are well aware of the carnage the 347 would impart to the stock four-banger drivetrain components

As far as the Olds stuff is concerned, I like them because they seem to have a heckuva lot more class than the Chevy stuff of the same era and I never wanted to be a "me too" car builder (small block Chevy in a Monte Carlo). I like the '81-'88 G-bodies, but need the power of the 60s powerplants. Hence, my big block Olds '88 Cutlass build. To me, the production Oldses after that were a yawn to say the least. I am stuck in the late 60s but was born a little late to have actually enjoyed those years. My build melds the 60s power with a later model classy (relatively) sedan that rides/handles nicely, but wields ~530hp. At car shows, I want people to wonder what it is under the hood. I hate the "...that got a small block Chevy in it?"... so, when I open the hood and say, "Nope, it's just a 307 Olds..." they can walk away wondering what the heck it really is...

The Mustang will look just like it did as a four-banger with steel wheels/wire hubcaps (widened) and whitewalls. It won't sound like it though...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
racerboy88
Registered Member

let us know how it goes

racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
rfpowerdude
Registered Member

Will do!

Gonna put the tranny parts into the tranny this weekend along with a cleanup of the engine compartment. Also gonna put the rear in. While cleaning under the hood, we'll probably pull back wiring out of the harness that is not used/needed (due to carb'ed) and tuck it away. We would like to make the underhood area as neat and clean as possible.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
Mysticowner
Registered Member

sounds like a fun project good luck with it. Post pics when you get a chance. I would like to see it.
Mysticowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 AM   #7
rfpowerdude
Registered Member

I am gonna take some pics tonight/tomorrow of the start of the project. "Before" pics if you will...
Old 07-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
StormsofAres86gt
black and blue

sounds like a fun project, very similar to the one i just got done in fact. well half way done, still needs ungraded brakes/suspension and a good paint job. but still, have fun with it. it can be a very frustrating project sometimes lol.
'89 5.8L lx 5spd. 351W(349hp/384tq)-tfs twisted wedge(stage 2), rpm air-gap, comp cam(294/294:518/518) and lifters, kb .060 pistons(11.5:1), mac shorties, pypes o/r X, mac 2.5" all the way back, holley 750, march u/d pulleys...it's alive..it's back together and running strong
-zach
StormsofAres86gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: