MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2001, 04:37 PM   #1
Power
Registered Member

Post Is NOS cheating???

I know that I'm going to get hammered by a lot of you guys on here for this one. Does anyone feel that NOS is cheating in anyway. It may be just my opinion but I've never liked NOS for the simple fact that it makes cars beat faster cars that don't have it. It seems to me the cheaters way of beating a bigger, stronger engine than your own. I'm not looking for flames and not trying to start anything with anyone here, just want everyones opinion on it. Keep in mind I'm talking about street application only.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 04:45 PM   #2
n20lx
Registered Member

Lets not open this 20 year old can of worms. As you can see by my screen name, I am a nitrous user. If your strictly talking street racing why on earth would it be cheating. If you want ot race a car your not familiar with for money you deserve what you get. A hidden spray system isn't chating any more that calling a 427 stoker a 351. This is the real world there is always gonna be somebody faster & smarter.
n20lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 05:40 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

Bottles are for babies, real men get blown.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 06:34 PM   #4
lx mike
Undescribable

how can it be considered cheating when on the street there are no rules?? i understand what you mean though, a sleeper that nobody would give a second glance could win a few street races till they could tell he was running nitrous
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 07:27 PM   #5
inferno
The Instigator

I don't feel nitrous is cheating at all. It is a real cheap and easy way to get power and if people want to use it, then they have every right. The only thing I don't like is if people are dishonest about the work done to there car, but that really isn't an issue either...you win some, you lose some.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 07:28 PM   #6
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
"Lets not open this 20 year old can of worms."
I point you toward my registration date which clearly says a member for 1 month, not 20 years.

Quote:
"As you can see by my screen name, I am a nitrous user."
Yes you are, which makes your opinion valuable to me as I am not a nitrous user and am still trying to decide whether to get a system or not.

Quote:
"A hidden spray system isn't chating any more that calling a 427 stoker a 351."
Hmm...not sure if that was meant for me but i do agree with you on that. It is not a 351 if someone where to claim that.

Quote:
"This is the real world there is always gonna be somebody faster & smarter."
I also agree with this, even if you have a NOS system there will still be somebody faster somewhere.

I now point you to some of the things I said in my original post.

"I'm not looking for flames and not trying to start anything with anyone here, just want everyones opinion on it."

I apologize if I read more into your post then was there. I was just in a fight less than 30 minutes ago and am not in a good mood. Your opinion is appreciated even if its different then mine. Again, I apologize.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 07:35 PM   #7
inferno
The Instigator

Oh yeah, one more thing to add that is kinda on the subject...people who complain about losing and say "If I had mod X it would have been different." How I see it, there is no use crying, just save your money and get mod X and stop complaining about losing to cars whose owners have the finances to make them fast.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:36 PM   #8
Dark Knight
Registered Member

NOS isnt cheating,, chemical supersharger..
I just got this picture of two racers..hahha
"you take the belt off the blower and I'll take the bottle out" hahaha..
whoever said NOS is cheap HP, never ran it right...ignition upgrades etc still cost alot.. bottle warmer.,.. remote opener, purge system... extra bottle.. adds up.. BUT it's alot easier to get thru a smpg check than a S/C.. ;-)

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives stock shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
14.06@100.21, 255RWHP on a hot day
265 on the mph/weight chart

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 08:41 PM   #9
Red514LX
Registered Member

All I can say about this topic is:

Run whatcha brung and hope you brung enough.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block.
http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 08:56 PM   #10
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking

ok, I PERSONALLY feel that it is more impressive to have all motor. (this means NO supercharger and NO NOS!) I may want a supercharger... but I still think it's more impressive if it's motor vs. motor.

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
http://hometown.aol.com/redlilpony/Homepage.html

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:07 PM   #11
MiracleMax
Registered Member

If you say lets run motor to motor then I say its cheating, If you say lets run period then its balls to the wall baby, Ultimately I just have to say, there isn't nuth'n but losers after 1st place!

What I really see is a philosophical difference.

500 hp with NOS is 500 hp
500 hp with S/Cing is 500 hp
500 hp with N/A is 500 hp

Somebody tell me the difference?
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:07 PM   #12
84_GT350
Registered Member

I agree...more motor is always better. But what about a sh!tload of motor and a small shot of N20? If you build the hell out of your engine and then spray it, I don't see a problem with that. And I don't really consider NOS cheating. It WOULD be bad to tell someone you were running stock when you really had a NOS kit hooked up. That's just luring someone into a race you know you'll win without clueing them into your little secret. My project this summer will be consisting of an honest 400 engine horsepower and a small (75-100hp) shot of NOS. So build the hell out of your engine THEN get NOS. Yeah...a blower would be better but we don't all have $3500 laying around for a good blower kit.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:36 PM   #13
dinomite
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by lx mike:
how can it be considered cheating when on the street there are no rules?? i understand what you mean though, a sleeper that nobody would give a second glance could win a few street races till they could tell he was running nitrous
I don't think thats the case, I could make an all moter car, that looks completely stock (sleeper) and is very fast. The thing is that its just too easy (cheap). I agree thoroughly and totally with 84_GT350. When I get a new engine, I'll look into getting a small shot possibly......
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 11:23 PM   #14
rbatson

If it works for you, use it. I think it would be cheating if you were racing friends that lied to you or maybe in you were racing for money and someone lied to you. That is, if you are setting rules or something.

Most of the guys around here are way past that though. Its pretty much "run what ya brung!". If you ask anyone what their car has(that your fixin' to race) your gonna get "stock", "k&n and tb", "gears and exhaust".. Don't bother asking. (don't take it personal either)

If your gonna race, its good to know people. If there is a car I am thinking of running, I start asking around and find out what the car has, lol... I can usually find someone who knows what the car has or what it runs, I know alot of people

As far as 500hp with NA vs NOS vs SC, if its a daily ride I think I'd rather have one of the more efficient power adders that I can drive daily with decent gas mileage and streetability. 500hp in a NA setup isn't real subtle.
Old 03-19-2001, 03:38 AM   #15
84_GT350
Registered Member

One thing I'd like to ad. I believe you shouldn't use NOS to WIN a race. If you're going up against a car that is all motor and, motor vs. motor, he could obviously beat you....let him (or her...there are ladies here too ). He should win and rightfully so. He's put more work into a power-building engine. I don't know if there's room for ethics in street racing and frankly fail to see the point in all of this. I'm just saying that you shouldn't let NOS do all the work for you. Build a motor that you can be proud of before you go spraying it. Don't let a little bottle be your last line of defense between the finishing line and a thorough @ss kicking. Anyone who races should know how to take a good beating with dignity and grace (unless you race an import...ricer flyby anyone?).

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 06:21 AM   #16
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Exclamation

well it may be a girl thing, but I am always honest about what I have (not much hehe) when I street race. Just because others dont have ethics when it comes to running on the street, that doesnt mean I don't have to. I just dont see the point of lying...I don't think I've won an honest race, same thing with taking car lengths or the jump: blah!!

I don't really like NOS, I traded for a kit so I can send out my dying 302 with a BANG! right before the 306 goes in haha,then the kit's getting sold. To make my point (finally) I guess I dont really feel one way or the other. I'd feel a whole lot better if I won to a car with a big motor + NOS or just all motor, but I guess I don't think its cheating

------------------
Elisha (Mustang Chick Extraordinaire)
1994 GT/Saleen: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, pulleys, Compucar nitrous kit 125 shot
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 09:04 AM   #17
Capri306

Oh boy, this topic goes WAY back! (Mr 5.0 and hehhehmule should remember )

I'm assuming we're talking about street cars and not strictly track racing, right? Okay.

The way I look at it, imagine sitting in both drivers' seats. If you have nitrous and you beat a N/A car, you don't feel like you've done anything that great. It's typically comparing a Cobra to a Focus (horse-wise). On the other hand, if you're the N/A car, you're probably miffed that they didn't tell you, and if/when you find out, you go on your way and blow it off...but be sure to tell everyone you know so he doesn't get another race again. Hehehehehe

The guys who just strap on nitrous and go won't be around for very long. As Dark Knight said, it's not all that cheap as it seems when you consider all the upgrades you need to keep it going. A lot of novices end up with melted parts and blown gaskets. I say let them have their 10 minutes worth of fun and let me keep on rollin'.

inferno had a good point, too (God, can't believe I'm admitting that! j/k). In the horsepower game, the mods that make the difference are usually available to everyone. Quit complaining, save your $$$, then race again when 'Mod X' is done. Most of the time it's just an excuse, though. One mod isn't the way to get big HP gains. On the street, there are no rules regarding power. The more the merrier.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 10:04 AM   #18
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Cool

I'm with Jodi on this one. I have always felt more pride in being to womp some one N/A while they are spraying me or are blown. To me building an engine to that capacity is more challenging and enjoyable than throwing a power adder on a LO PO mill and saying that u are in the league of a N/A mill pumping 500 ponies. I have more respect for some one that runs with me or close to me N/A than some one who beats me while on the squeeze. It's like.... not fast enough?....Ok, lets just put the other jet in. Any one can do that. For me it's.....not fast enough? Ok, lets port out the heads and add some cam. Just the way i like it.

Note: This is for my good ol'e OHV mills. When i get my 98 Cobra, it will blown. I like adders. Some one once said it perfectally. You see an 11 sec blown 5.0 and your like..." nice, but it's all the blower." You see another 11sec 5.0 next to it that's N/A and it's more of an..."ooooh aaaah!..No addres and he is hanging withg\ that guy, must really know his sh1t!" Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:56 AM   #19
inferno
The Instigator

Capri306, I always have good points....just a lot of guys don't want to admit to it

And 84_GT350, domestic owners were doing flyby's long before there were even any import cars(more specifically GM as Ford was kicking their a$$).
Old 03-19-2001, 02:18 PM   #20
Moxie
Registered Member

It's n2o, not NOS. Sorry, pet peeve.

I just pulled out my dictionary, and looked up the word cheat:

play or do business in a way that is not honest; practice deceit; seek to gain an advantage by underhand means.

According to that, using n2o is only cheating if you deliberately deceive someone, i.e.- lying to them about having nitrous. In my opinion, it is simply a method of making power. One person buys nitrous, the other buys cylinder heads, one person buys a supercharger. All are means to produce more power.

As for making the power naturally aspirated, I agree with MiracleMax, it's a difference in philosophies, not a matter of ethics.

Some people on this board think that using nitrous is the 'easy' way to make horsepower. I agree with you that making a lot of power naturally aspirated is very impressive, and may well earn you the most respect. That said, I run a business that centers around nitrous systems and related equipment. Trust me, nitrous is not 'easy'. If it was, it would not have a reputation for damaging engines. It is actually the most misunderstood power adder on the market, and in my experience, there is a great deal of misinformation about it floating around.

As for 'easy' power adders, I have found myself regarding turbos in the same light. Relatively stock 5.0 Mustangs running 11's just buy having a twin-turbo kit professionally installed and tuned. The Pro 5.0 turbo cars are crushing the nitrous cars. Several Pro drivers used to run nitrous. They were not at the front of the pack, and suffered mechanical problems on a regular basis. Since switching to turbos, they are leaping to the top of the running order.

In the end, it's your car, and your money. Whichever method you choose to make power it ok. If it works, and you like it, you have nothing to worry about.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote