MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-12-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Default Not sure what to do with it

Well I am not really sure on what i want to do with my car. It needs a few things like a clutch, new tires, and some interior work to be mint condition. The car was painted after I made a mistake and was in an accident. The paint shop screwed up on the paint so it is going back once again to be repainted.

I really hate my rims and that is one of the reasons I am not to fond of my car. Ever since i have gotten my car back i haven't cared much for it. Everyonce in a while I really fall back in love with it but its most of the time i don't like it as much as I used to. When I tell people this they think I'm crazy because I am 17 and have a really nice car. I'm not sure what I should do. I can afford a better car and living here in ontario where the minum wage is really pathetic it makes it harder for me to improve my car even though i work 43 hours a week after school some times.

I have thought about selling my car for what I owe and buy a 95 cobra that is in a nearby city for sale for 18k(canadian) or a fox body that is in mint condition and is built up(heads, cam and intake). I'm not really sure what to do. even if i fix the clutch and some other of the smallt things its still a 5L gt that i have way to much money into for being completely stock. It pisses me off sometimes thinking that i actually paid to fix it when i haven't been really pleased with the way the job was done and that it cost me almost half of what i make a year to do it. I think sometimes I should have cut my losses and sold her for parts(almost would have broke even).

I would be sad to see the black ***** go but sometimes you have to upgrade if you have the resources. I think that I will eventually be happy with what ever decision I make whether i will be happy with it in the next few months or in the coming years all depends on what i choose to do.

Sorry for making this so long but i just had to vent.

JAMES
Old 05-13-2002, 11:04 AM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i know what you mean rage, since my wreck, i kinda dont like my car as much, but yet i still do- the 01 smoked headlight's, i saw that bullit the other day & i was like ---OH yeah, i told odie about it & you know what the answer was- no, geez i have been married too long! heheh, i notice little thing's now that bug me, but i have to live with it, so hang in there, it passes after awhile, i even made my wheels look different than all the other 99-00 gt wheel's, cant revel my secret, take care

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 03:53 PM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Man, sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Little things are beginning to bug me about my car. Some days I love it, some days I hate it.

And it is to the point where I don't know if I want to dump anymore money into mine to fix/upgrade stuff or just wan to sell it.

I think if I were you and you say you have the resources to get something else, I would go for it. But, be careful because you could very well just end up having the same problem with a new car.

If you got the Cobra it would be screaming at you for some modifications, especially being a "weaker" Cobra in 95.
If you go with a modified fox, you are sure to inherit a few of someone else's problems. Everyday driveabilty may not be want you want it to, and it seems like the infamous surging idle is bound to pop up every now and again on a modified 5.0.

Mmmmmm, on second thought, maybe you should stick with what you got

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Heth I heard that the weak link in the 95 cobra engine was a wimpy cam and swapping it out for a bigger one netted pretty big gains. The Cobra is in mint condition and i beleive I would modd it with just a few minor bolt ons and use it as a showcar. In my opinion it is just to nice of a car to take apart. Polish everything under the hood and just make anythnig dull on the car shiny would be pretty much the extent on mods to the car besides the cam and the few little bolt ons. The only problem is that I am turnnig 18 in a few days(may 16) and i have no established credit and the car is 18000(canadian) which i figure I can bring down quite a bit becasue the car has been on the lot for a while. I make enough to afford the car but I'm not sure if the bank will go 4 or 5 years on a 1995 car.

If i buy a fox body all i want is around 120,000 kilometers and under that has the bolt ons and maybe an itake an cam. It seems that whenever I am gonig to buy some mods somethnig else comes up. I am tired of my squeaky interior and electronics that don't work. With the problems i have with my car i would rather pay to fix a few tuning problems and be in the 13's then spending more money on my car.

Decisions decisions
Oh and it is my daily driver and only car
JAMES
Old 05-13-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Factors to consider in your decision

James:

This is a complicated and very personal decision but I'll throw a few facts and opinions at you to do with what you will.

A bank won't give you a long repayment term on a '95. probably two years and I doubt you have the credit to swing it, but you should try. The dealer may be able to get you financing at a higher interest rate if the bank won't go for it, but I doubt you'll get a long repayment term on a 7-year-old car like the Cobra.

Cars that are in accidents are sometimes never quite the same. Often, it's just a perception rather than a reality but not always, and sometimes it's a little of both. Either way, if you don't like your car, you should get rid of it. At 18, you should enjoy driving and if you don't, then obviously you need something fresh to drive.

Beware of previously modified Mustangs (or anything else). Unless you personally know the mechanic/owner and know that the work was done right and with quality parts, you could be in for possible headaches down the road.

I would suggest finding a nice, clean affordable 'Stang that you can mod if you wish or just pamper but one that you'll at least enjoy, as well as be able to afford.

Good luck.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote