MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2001, 10:00 AM   #1
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Red face Now what am I going to do!?

Well,
Its official... The Gatorbacks (my tires) are now past the wear marker and 2 are showing the steel belt in some places. I was hoping to get another month out of them....

As some of you know, I've got a P1SC Procharger sitting in my garage with all the pieces of my 83 that I'm trying to get back together (heater core swaps suck by the way...). Between the cash for the blower, and the extra cash for parts on the 83, I just don't have the cash right now for a set of dedicated wheels and drag radials for the track. So I'm looking for a good set of tires that will last a while on the street and track. I also want to find some that will handle a launch with my blower without having to pull 2.2+ 60 foot times. My best 60 foot to date on the no-grab Gatorbacks is a 2.1. It looks like drag radials aren't an option right now because they just won't last the way I wail on it sometimes.
I'm currently looking at some BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDs, while they seem to be good tires with a good bite for launches, 250 dollars a tire is kind of steep.

Any suggestions?

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Hey, you weren't supposed to be that fast!"- Turbo Eclipse Driver
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 03:51 PM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Cool

Well I run BFG radial T/A's on the street 275/50/15 and with the old almost stock motor with all my suspension I pulled 1.88-1.98 60fts and the last a long time on the road. They took a lot of abuse from me. My 275/50/15 were $160.00 a piece. A lot of guys like the Pep Boys Futura's, but I have no evperience with them. You have to let em know how you like the P1SC, I am leaning on going with a Procharger in the future but it will be a D1R intercooled.

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 06:22 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

I run BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50 16's for all year use and I love 'em. They suit me fine and the price was awesome. My car is not a track car and with no mods I get awesome traction. I don't know how they'd be on a worked car but for me they're great.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 07:07 PM   #4
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I run Michelin XGT Z4's on my Cobra, and they are Darn good. I really want a set of Michelin XGT X-one's but they do not make them in a 17" wheel. they are cheap and have all the HOOK you are looking for. On my father in laws "89GT we run the X-one's and his 60' is in the low 1.9 range. But it's up to the indivual. You may not like them as much as I do. But it is a good solution to your problem.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote