MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2001, 09:30 PM   #1
5pointo
Registered Member

Question Odd questions.

Im reading all I can about mustangs since Im going to be buying one in a few months. Im going to go with a 87-93 convertible 5.0 Some odd questions I have are, what kind of MPG stock with a 5-speed can I expect ? Whats the towing capacity ? (On occasion I pull a small pop-up trailer ) Is the top manual or power? What modifications can increase power and MPG? Its going to be a daily driver so both are important. Thanks for all the great info on this site.
5pointo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 09:42 PM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

For what it's worth, my 1991 LX Coupe 5.0 (2.73 gears) was listed on the original sticker as:

17 MPG - CITY
24 MPG - HIGHWAY

The convertible is heavier so the MPG is probably slightly worse.

Hope this helps,
E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe -37,800 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'

Pro-Charger D-1SC on the way!!!
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 12:30 AM   #3
rbatson

Thumbs up

My 89 got about 24 hwy right after I bought it and its an aod. I added a K&N, MSD 6AL, accel coil, and different plugs(I think they were split fires) and I got almost 28 mpg hwy. I kid you not! I'm not completely sure I had splitfires when I got over 27 mpg but I want to say I did. It might have been accel u-grooves though, I don't think the plug is what made the difference anyhow. I pulled a jetski many many a day with this car, I even raced someone while pulling the jetski once(I won too ) If you get a gt you will have to cut the valence for the hitch. In the lx all you have to do is cut the plastic under the bumper to mount the hitch. Take the hitch off and you can't even tell you modded it at all. Good luck with your choice(good choice, I might add).

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 01-10-2001, 12:34 AM   #4
rbatson

Oh and the top is automatic. The mods I did also add hp as well as make for better mpg. Oh yeah, I almost forgot.. You must remove the air box silencer if it is still there(good chance it will be gone already).
Old 01-12-2001, 11:27 AM   #5
5pointo
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the answers. You confirmed that a 5.0 can kickass and be a daily driver. Im thinking of going with nitrous. Thats around a $1000 right. Any thoughts on a blower. How are they for day to day driveability. Again thanks for all the info, this newbie appreciates it.
5pointo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:16 PM   #6
rbatson

My 89 has basically been my daily driver since 91. I have owned a few other vehicles since I bought the mustang in 91 but I would rather drive the 89 mustang.

On another note, I just reading my other post and it sounds alittle misleading. The mods I did (add cap, rotor, and good wires to that list) made the car more efficent but didn't add that much hp at all really... maybe a couple. Also, that jetski I pulled was little and light. I have a jetboat now and wouldn't even consider pulling that with it. The car just isn't made to tow things but you have to understand, the jetski was light(maybe 300#, I dunno), I could move it around easily by myself. I just don't think I've seen a camper small enough that I'd consider towing with this car.

I haven't priced NOS kits lately but I think you can get a good one for less than $700. You would probably want to add a few thing like fuel pump and exhaust so maybe you have the right frame of mind.

Sometimes I ramble, I'll stop here...