View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 03:24 AM   #7
Capri306

Default Re: one step closer to 1984

Hate to break it to you, but this technology came out a few years ago on Corvettes to stave off warranty claims, which was the original intent. Data logging is becoming increasingly cheaper as memory and technology costs plummet, so an addition like this is no stretch of the imagination. For one, I would be happy as heck if something such as this could be the determining factor to show that I wasn't at fault for an accident in which the citation could go either way. There are some legal and information issues to work out, yes, but look at this quote, and I'll crucify it afterward:
Quote:
"If you're sliding on ice and you've got your foot on the accelerator, the car thinks that you're going 90 mph, when you could actually be sliding at 10 mph."
This is complete BS. If the car is sliding, the antilock brake or powertrain control module is going to see the differentiation between individual wheel speeds. The days of computers determining vehicle speed by simple propeller shaft speed sensing are OVER, and have been for quite some time, or at least on any of the vehicles to which this data logging would apply. Yet another example of "hillbillies and technology don't mix."

As for ANY argument regarding this as an invasion of privacy? PLEASE!!! Are you not on a public highway virtually the entire time you are driving your vehicle? In the same way you are subject to vehicle searches and "Terry pats," you would/should be subject to vehicle data logging and use of that instrument's information contained therein.

I do, however, take issue with the fact that none of the manufacturers are making clear which vehicles are so equipped. Not that I believe that it would influence my choice of vehicle for purchase, but I would at least like to KNOW if it's equipped with such a device.

As a final point, I think some people are taking this too far. The government isn't tracking you with this, nor does it intend to. All it's designed to do is give authorities some insight as to the conditions leading up to the point of a collision, so don't judge it until it sends someone who didn't deserve it to prison, or (just the opposite) lets the prosecutor put someone away who kills someone in your family. Okay, didn't mean to end this post THAT way, but it's something to think about, eh? Havagooday.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote