View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 04:57 PM   #14
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Re: one step closer to 1984

I agree with the point that currently these "black boxes" that are not in constant operation, can be useful for accident analysis. In that role I would actually agree that they are a good idea.
But once they become more commonplace, it seems natural that they would merge them with the onboard GPS "For a more complete picture...of the accident". (Again, maybe good intentions)
From there, the information that was being tracked could easily come into the possesion of interested third parties. (Corporate psychology: they have information that is currently not of use to them, i.e. you havent been in an accident. Its just sitting there doing nothing, why not find a use for it and make some profit?)
The thing about it is that it could work its way out there without the average consumer knowing just due lack of public awareness/interest. Unless 60 minutes etc. makes note of it, only the "car folks" will be aware and worried. Especially if the mfrs. take the initative, and spin it as a new safety feature.
This just strikes me as one of those things that 5 years down the line people will start to get pissed at, but by then its too late. "Whaddya mean I speed too much!"

Sorry, /rant
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote