MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-12-2001, 05:34 AM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post intake or Mas or TB

what shold i get first a cobra intake or C&L meter..or a TB...these parts are going on my pretty much stock engine but keep in mind i want to be able to reuse them on my 331 when i get it...mabe never will so i want the parts to work good on my 302 but work good also with my 331...if i ever can save that much $$$

planing on a Keith Craft 331 with AFR heads

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers and Cat-back

By the time summer comes ill have full Mac exhaust,new shifter knob and what ever else i can afford
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 10:08 AM   #2
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Well the only problem is, if you want to use say a 70mm t/b on a stock engine, you'll lose bottom end, but it'd be great on the stroker you're talking about. The cobra intake may just not be enough for the stroker but that would be great for the stock engine. The meter would need to be calibrated for the 19 injectors you have now, and then changed for whatever you're going to run on the stroker.

Its kinda shoot/miss here, but really most of the stuff should be planned out for your stroker and not to work with both.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 06:33 PM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

start with the air meter, and work your way back. A bigger intake doesnt do you any good, if it cant get more air to it through your puny stock MAF meter and TB. Theres a great stroker issue in the latest MM&FF. I think the cobra intake will suport a 331 with no problem.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 07:52 PM   #4
DemonGT
Registered Member

i just thought of something else...i am going to be buying gears soon and i was thinken 3.73's...but when i get the 331 i dont want to have to buy new gears so will 3.73's work ok with a 331 stroker??

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers and Cat-back

By the time summer comes ill have full Mac exhaust,new shifter knob and what ever else i can afford
Old 02-12-2001, 11:15 PM   #5
rbatson

ahhhh... dude!

I have a 75mm maf, 70mm tb, and a cobra intake on my blown 331. Its plenty fast. if you're going na a 65 tb will be fine and will match the cobra intake.

The 73mm will be fine... and when your ready to upgrade to 30# injectors I have a tube I never used and will sell you....

My opinion... start with the maf. The stock unit is 55mm.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 02-12-2001, 11:17 PM   #6
rbatson

Oh and I have 373s too.
Old 02-13-2001, 12:13 AM   #7
Shotgun28
Registered Member

DemonGT:

I completely understand your need for speed we all have it. But a quick story, I got my car and was in a rush to get her going even faster, headers, h-pipe, gears, and blah,blah. But now I find myself back tracking, I now have purchased GT40 P heads and now need to get new long tube headers to fit these heads, and that with the fact that I just bought my other headers a few months ago. My advice, avoid, getting stuck and getting other parts to replace parts you have already purchased. I sat down, thought long and hard about what I want from my car, what I can afford(and be very realistic), how long this plan will take and almost make a blue print plan for what you want. Now I have what I call my three year plan, a long time, but I know that this car will be my dream car when I am complete, money will not be an issue, and there isn't going to be anymore replacing of parts that I already spent goo goo money on. I think in my opinion that you should really think about what you want to do with this car, and plan it accordingly. It will take a long time, but in the long run it will be very worth it. Sorry so long, just my thoughts. I am far from a know it all, just trying to save you some cash and problems down the road.

Okay I better stop now..

Kevin

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 02:10 AM   #8
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i would have to dissagree with the above..i would say get the inntake first folowed by mass air, then heads and then tb..we currently have a mustang running in the 12's with a 105 trap speed with only a e-cam and elderbrock heads..stock intake,tb and mass air..car also has 3.73 but no traction devises and not gutted..daily driver..
my reasoning behind this is that the heads and the cam are the "heart" of the motor IMO because they control the air being let in and out..the intake and tb air mearly air passages..i mean better flowing passages will help but they will work better with a stonger foundation a good base to build on..

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 08:40 PM   #9
DemonGT
Registered Member

when i order my short block it will come with AFR heads ill probubly get the ...65cc?? i want bigger chamber for lower comp....so if i add a blower later on thats a IF

------------------