MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default Pay of mechanics and auto body

I am very interested in getting a degree in auto service or collision repair.

DOes anyone knwo how much teh starting pay is for these jobs as for the raise potential and how much would i be makign 10 years down the road?

I have friend who isnt even done wiht school yet and is makign $15 a hour and already has a job offer for $22 an hour

I also read however that the average pay for a mecahnic and auto body is like $15 an hour?

ANy help would be appreaciated
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

They don't pay as much as they should compared to the hourly rates. The shop where I get my paint and body work done just raised their rate to $73/hr!
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Ty'97Cobra
Registered Member

Cool

If you are seriously interested in this line of work, I suggest you get the education and then the experience by working with a reputable company. To make a lot of $$$ you need to own your own business. You will never make a lot of $$$ working for someone else. The guy I take my LX to, to fix the big problems when the occur, is always busy. When you do good work at a fair price, you will have all the business you can handle.
#2459 of 5082

Visit my city http://diggstown.myminicity.com/

Ty'97Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
Nic92LXConv50
Registered Member

It will vary drastically. Some guys make $10/hr, some guys make $24+/hr. It depends on your level of experience and your certifications. An ASE certified master or senior master will be the one making $20 or more an hour. You can make a decent living out of it if you're good enough.

I've been doing this for 4 years as a summer job (full time) and during the school years as well. Right now I'm working on my political science degree and working 20 hours a week at a Hyundai shop. If you don't mind me giving you a piece of advise from one young guy in the field to another looking to get into the field...think very long and very hard before you make your final decision. Working on cars can be a very fun hobby, but it's not a very fun way to make a living. Ask around, find some older guys that have made a career out of it and see what they have to say. My father and grandfather are both career auto tech's and they both stay on me telling me not to even consider doing it as a career.

Just my .02

Co Founder, Tri Cities Mustang Club
Nic92LXConv50 is offline   Reply With Quote