View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Default Re: Pictures/info. on my new fox sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite65
Ok, if I read that right you said it already had a Windsor in it and that you want to keep it looking stock. Assuming that statement it correct....

I would not swap in anything. A 351w is still a 351w whether it makes 255 horsepower or 455. The question is why it only makes 255 horsepower. I would swap out the cam and heads....Paint the new heads the original color or at least port the crap outta the old ones on it. Open the exhaust up a bit, and try to swap carb leaving as much of the stock stuff "appearing" to still be hooked up. If you are worried about the ignition, a petronix kit is probably an option.

Figure out what rear end you have, and swap in some good 3.73's or so. A shift kit if the ole tranny seems up to the task....and go hunting.

If the thing has the big ole ford air breathers, you might even be able to hide a NOS cheater kit in there some where......

I got my but handed to me once by an ole cutlass, but I wasn’t smart enough then to realize I was looking at nitrous lines.
Ryan
I was mentioning that the engine in the thunderbird is a 4.2L (255ci) that only made 120 horsepower (if that).....in my grey mustang i have a long block gross rated at 360 horsepower from central coast mustang - which i'd like to put in the thunderbird. The 4.2L has a unique 2 barrel intake manifold that can't be replaced, a smaller bore than a 302 and log type exhaust manifolds.....so basically the 4.2 is outta there.
I have a 400 modified and a C6 trans sitting around, but both need a little work to operate, or i could just throw in the 5.0L i have and add a higher stall converter and shift kit....plus use the 8.8" rear/limited slip with 3.73 gears from my grey mustang.

I have a nitrous works kit just sitting around, and i already have the carburetor plate for it....but i want to deal with the engine first.

those are pretty good ideas, i love sleepers.
and i have been tempted to buy a 460 and see if i could shoehorn that in but i already have the other stuff.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote