MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Please, pray for Herb.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...l.jsp?id=43101

I've known Herb for about 5 years now, before he was struck by cancer... he's one of our nation's finest, in all respects. He's a patriotic soldier, a family man, and a man of incredible faith and optimism... unfortunately, Herb's second go around with cancer in 4 years is turning out to be too much, and his end is near... he will be leaving behind his wife and 3 kids.

So please count your blessings tonight and remember Herb when you need to remember what faith, patriotism, and family are all about...

Quote:
An Ode To Herb, A Great Man And Fan
An Ode To Herb, A Great Man And Fan

January 11, 2006

He was just a kid, 6 years old in 1979, sitting in front of a television in his Ohio home and he saw something that would change his life forever: The Philadelphia Eagles were playing the Dallas Cowboys. A football game! The Eagles! He liked it!
"I thought," said Herb Osterhout on Wednesday, "hey, this is alright. That's my team." And so it was. And so it is.

Herb Osterhout said, with voice halting, that he has five days to live, and then when he goes to the next life, he will take the Eagles with him.

Tears are flowing for everyone who has met Herb, either in person or through his time on this web site's Discussion Boards. He is a kind man, a good man, an inspiring man. The father of children ages 7, 5 and 1, the husband to a strong and loving wife, Jess, Herb found out in 2001 that he Stage 3 colon cancer. He was ready to fight. He's an Eagles fan, right!? Eagles fans don't give up.

So Herb fought the good fight. He fought so hard and lived with so much love that the cancer was in remission, and in the summer of 2003 Jess decided on the perfect congratulations gift: She brought Herb to training camp, and that's where we met.

Herb with Donovan McNabb at the NovaCare Complex
He was gaining strength then and was able to observe practice on the sidelines, meet some players, spend time chatting with Troy Vincent. It was a day to remember.

"It's one of the highlights of my life," Herb said. "It was so fun to hang out there with all of those fans and be with the players."

But in 2004, Herb felt a pain in his left side. The news was not good: The doctors found a grapefruit-sized tumor, and intense treatment was ordered. More radiation, four weeks straight. More hospitals. More poking and prodding and praying.

He arranged a trip to Philadelphia in '04 and had a chance to meet Donovan McNabb at the NovaCare Complex. Another highlight. Another Eagles moment. McNabb gave him an autographed jersey, one that will hang in his household forever.

"Jess is just about to get that framed," said Herb.

Now, though, at age 32, Herb is hanging on for his final days. There is so much internal bleeding and the case is beyond treatment.

Still, Herb wants to talk about the Eagles. He loves them, just like you and me and all of those reading these words. He is not crying; instead he is spreading the word of love and life and hope and strength.

"If I can do anything to help other people. If my story helps ..." he says.

So the message is this: Take care of your body. Go to the doctor. Don't ignore anything unusual.

"It hasn't been easy," says Herb, "but I can't tell you how much I feel the love from my friends on the (Discussion) boards. It's Eagles love. It's been so nice, so supportive."

When he dies, we will all lose a friend. What we lose from him in this life, however, we will gain from simply having met such a fine, kind man.

An Eagles fan.

"I'll tell you, Dave," says Herb, "last year broke my heart. We'll be back next year. Even if I'm not here ... I hope they have a seat for me up there."

I know they will, Herb. You'll be watching, no matter what. And many a toast will be made to you, an immortal for all of us.

Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Default Re: Please, pray for Herb.

God Bless Herb.
Whether anyone here is religous or not, I thought it might be nice tell you this. I've lost 4 family members this year including my father who fought his whole life a losing battle against arthritis (yes it does kill in extreme cases).

Just in case you are religous: My mind has always wondered. Call it undiagnosed ADHD- call it what you will. I heard a passage one time that stayed in my mind for a long time. In Ecclesiastics (I think) and repeated in Psalms it says,
"A thousand years on Earth is but a day in Heaven."

That seemed strange to me for some reason... How would that be possible? I've always been intrigued with Einstein and his work, and when I found out at a younger age that Time is relative (changable depending on speed), that passage hit me like a brick-

You see years back they actually proved that time is relative by taking one atomic clock and putting it in a Jumbo Jet, and synchronizing it to the Naval base's Atomic clock where the plane took off. The plane flew around the world. When it got back... the times were different on the clocks... Sooooo...

My dad and I were on the subject of time (for some nerdy reason) and I told him something like this,

"When we go to Heaven, it's a Biblical if not scientific fact that they are on a slower time plane. You see, when a person dies... we're left here for years and years... but to the person who just passed, time moves much slower- and Einstein says neither one of the two realize it. That means that by the time that person gets to heaven and turns his head, everyone else he knew will be there too!"

He died some 2 weeks later on August 25, 2005. I can't tell you how much better I felt telling him that in normal conversation... he liked that thought. I know I babble, but I thought that might be cool to share. Let him know that we'll all meet there at the same time.

Peace,
Jon

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Thanks for the reflection...

I spoke with Herb yesterday... he's an incredible guy in incredible spirits in his final days... a pure inspiration, from beginning to the end.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Keep those prayers coming!!!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the well wishing and prayers...

True to form, Herb proved the doctors wrong... He passed away last night, a full 2 weeks longer than they had given him.

Eagles fans lost a true friend. Our country has lost a brave warrior... and his wife and three kids have lost perhaps the most incredible guy they'll ever know.

He was 32.

Rest in Peace, Herb...

Last edited by Phillyfanfrombirth; 02-02-2006 at 06:56 PM..
Old 02-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

RIP Herb, my condolences(sp) go out the family and friends of such a wonderful person
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote