MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #1
NJTMustangGT
Registered Member

Question Police Auctions

Well, in the spring I'm getting a new car, but my money is limited. One thing I have heard around my campus is about buying their cars from Police Auctions. Now, from the people I hear it from I cant really put 100% trust in so I got a few questions about them.

#1-Are the cars normally in atleast average shape? (I dont wanna buy a car and have it break down a week later)

#2-Are there any types of Mileage or Year warranties available?

#3-Is there a good chance if I go to a few auctions ill find a nice 94-98 GT/Cobra?

#4-Around what price do Mid 90's Mustang GT/Z28's sell for?

Any Replies would be great, especially from someone who may have bought their car from there. Thanks!
NJTMustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:41 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Police Auctions

Quote:
Originally posted by NJTMustangGT
Well, in the spring I'm getting a new car, but my money is limited. One thing I have heard around my campus is about buying their cars from Police Auctions. Now, from the people I hear it from I cant really put 100% trust in so I got a few questions about them.

#1-Are the cars normally in atleast average shape? (I dont wanna buy a car and have it break down a week later)

#2-Are there any types of Mileage or Year warranties available?

#3-Is there a good chance if I go to a few auctions ill find a nice 94-98 GT/Cobra?

#4-Around what price do Mid 90's Mustang GT/Z28's sell for?

Any Replies would be great, especially from someone who may have bought their car from there. Thanks!
The cars come all ways ... some good some not so good, and usually the ones i've seen are sold as is, so you have to be very observant and careful. Warranty wise, in your area perhaps but usually no. whether or not you stumble onto a 94-98 GT/Cobra is just a crap shoot ?
I'll tell you this, its very easy to get caught up in the excitement of an auction and pay to much, so you absolutely must know the value of what your looking for before you go, otherwise a good auctioneer will strip you to the bone !! I'd give you some blue book values but my books are in the trunk of my car and wifey is off visiting so i can't
Consider yourself warned .... know the value of what you're after BEFORE you go or they'll have you paying 10 grand for a 5 grand car and you'll be out bragging what a great deal you got !
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 01:17 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

That's tough, you'll have to take what you get in those cases. I don't think there's any warranty on auction cars, you pay for it then its forever yours. Some auction cars may be good and some may be terribly bad. For instance, this dealer in my area who goes to the auctions all the time picked up a FOX Mustang that has some valvetrain noise. Come to find out it was a repo car and the guy who had it before put gravel into the oil filler hole before it was repo'ed. Motor was toast! So just be careful at what your looking at.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote