MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-14-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
Gina
Registered Member

Talking Possibly Purchasing a GT...advice/opinions?

Hello! I'm new to these boards, so I'm sorry if I ask the same questions as all the other newbies. I've decided my next "new" car will be a Mustang GT. The one I'm looking at is a '99 with 70K miles.

Obviously, you all love the Mustang, but is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Any sneeky things that go wrong around 70K? The usual problems?

Also, what do you recommend for tires (brand, size, etc)? The dealership replaced the tires on this GT with some really cheapo ones, so I plan to re-replace them. I live near Seattle so I will need some rain-traction! The stock wheels are 16", but I might replace those as well, so I could go bigger. What's the best?

Thanks for your input! If anyone wants a dying '94 Explorer 4X4, let me know!

Gina~~
mykiss15@aol.com
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Possibly Purchasing a GT...advice/opinions?

The GT's are built on many years of proven parts. I don't know of anything on that setup that is prone to going out at about 70k or at 120k or even 150k.

Normal wear items that may need replacement now or in the next year or two.

Clutch
Shocks/struts
Spark plugs/wires (these can wait a while)
Battery
Tires

The manual transmission is a little weak, and the automatic transmission is a little slow. Take your pick. As far as tires go, I liked my Nitto NT-450 Extreme's on my 87, but they did squeal too easy.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:19 AM   #3
TARZAN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
Hello! I'm new to these boards, so I'm sorry if I ask the same questions as all the other newbies. I've decided my next "new" car will be a Mustang GT. The one I'm looking at is a '99 with 70K miles.

Obviously, you all love the Mustang, but is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Any sneeky things that go wrong around 70K? The usual problems?

Also, what do you recommend for tires (brand, size, etc)? The dealership replaced the tires on this GT with some really cheapo ones, so I plan to re-replace them. I live near Seattle so I will need some rain-traction! The stock wheels are 16", but I might replace those as well, so I could go bigger. What's the best?

Thanks for your input! If anyone wants a dying '94 Explorer 4X4, let me know!

Gina~~
mykiss15@aol.com

Actually, as long as you're goin 99+, I say you're doing pretty good ....Kumho offers the best prices on tires....But there are better tires out there...Honestly I went with an affordable set of the Kumho Ecsta 711's though...should be all you'll need in a DD..unless you plan to race it alot...

I'd suggest a step up to a nice set of 17" wheels. there are PLENTY different ones out there, since thats the "usual" size on most GT's and All Cobras (I believe)....Its a preference thing, but in my opinion 17's are large enough to fill a fenderwell, and look clean...while not looking "too big"....Not to mention they make tires a lil more affordable than 18's lol...

Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

-Will

-Will
TARZAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Look on ebay for wheels, I got polished Cobra R's for $529 "Buy it NOW", there are plenty of styles, I agree with TARZAN, get some 17's, they look better on the car. Bullitts look nice on 99+ Mustangs, you can get them Silver, Dark Gray, Black, Polished or Chrome. 17 X 9 is a good size, they fill the rear wheel wells better than the 8" wide rims. I just got a new set of Nitto NT555 tires, I like them better than any I have had on my car, and I have had Goodyears, BFG's, Sumitomo's and Capitals on it before.

99+ Mustangs have a good track record, they are dependable with no real problems, hope you enjoy it!!

Oh, and welcome to Mustangworks

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
BaboonQueen
89 Mustang LX CV "my baby"

Be Prepared to spend a LOT of money on gas; you'll be going through it like crazy, lol. I live in Florida and it's $3.10 for regualar unleaded gasoline. It's insane.
BaboonQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Considering it's topped $5.00/gallon in Atlanta and parts of Texas, $3.10 doesn't seem so bad. With the refineries down and drilling platforms floating all over the gulf, I would expect to see fuel prices continue to rise.

I'm riding my '97 YZF 600R, and I'm enjoying the 55mpg I'm getting, hahaha.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Gina
Registered Member

Actually, I have been enjoying the 22 MPG I've been getting in the new Mustang! This is in comparison to my old Explorer at around 8-10 MPG... Plus, my commute to work has changed from 40 miles to 6! I'm a happy camper in my new car!
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
BaboonQueen
89 Mustang LX CV "my baby"

yeah, I get really good mileage too in my 89 stang and my work is only 1/2 mi away. Gas prices raised in Florida today from 3.10 to 3.40 I wont have to fill my tank for a few weeks though...heh heh!
BaboonQueen is offline   Reply With Quote