MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Do we need a new Power Adder forum?
Yes! There's enough power adder question it would be heavily used and lighten the load in main tech forums too. 27 50.00%
No. I don't think it would be heavily used right now and the traffic isn't too bad still in the main tech forums. 18 33.33%
I'm undecided. Hard to tell yet, so give it some more time and we'll visit this question again later. 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. This poll is closed

Old 01-16-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
StangFlyer
Founder

Question Do we need a dedicated power adder forum?

Moxie just posed the question in the Site Feedback forum that we could use a dedicated forum for the discussion of power adders (Nitrous, Turbos, and Superchargers). Therefore, I thought I'd create a poll in the main tech forum here asking everyone's opinion to see if everyone thinks this would be a good idea, and if it is really need. I.e. would it be heavily used?
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I don't think there would be enough traffic in there, I could be wrong though.

There is a decent amount of power adder questions in the tech forums, but they ARE tech questions so I believe thats where they should be posted.

Myself and alot of other members spend most of the time in the windsor and lounge forums. This is where I have learned probably about 70% of my Mustang and general mechanics knowledge.

If I come across a power adder question, I will read it just to learn (or if simple enough, maybe try to help out). I don't own nor am I in the market yet for a power adder so I think that taking the power adder topics out of the Tech forums would be a mistake.

This is just me though, I guess we should let the guys with the power adders decide this one huh?
Old 01-16-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Yes!!!

Nitrous/Turbos/superchargers more and more people are going to them including me and I think it would be great and as far as traffic goes some of the forums here are dead but I think a power adders forum would be alive and kick'n

Probably half of the people here have power adders, and the other half want them. How could you go wrong

Last edited by Dark_5.0; 01-16-2002 at 05:35 PM..
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:40 PM   #4
Coupe Devil

I simply agree with everything fiveohpatrol said. I dont have a power adder and really not in the market right know. But I enjoy reading the posts about them trying to learn as much as possible.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 04:49 PM   #5
Rebel79
News Editor

I don't think the Windsor forum is quite what it used to be and still needs more posts. I think adding another forum will take away from the traffic and the number of responses users get in the Windsor and 4.6 forum(s).
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

How about a power adder / stroker forum, More people would respond on these issues if they didnt have to filter through everything else in the windsor forum. If it did slow down traffic in the windsor forum who cares it would make the site more user friendly
Old 01-16-2002, 06:41 PM   #7
lx mike
Undescribable

I feel the same as Dark_5.0, more and more people are turning to power adders and would like to be able to have a place to ask there questions about them without having to go to another message board just to find out about that one thing. it might not take off right away but i think it's worth a try.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:45 PM   #8
Five0
Registered Member

I love this site and I try to visit it as much as possible but I don't have a lot of time after work.
I would like to visit all the forums and answer all the questions I can and talk to all my friends that I have made here.
The truth is I really do not get to visit all the forums and one more would just be another one that I did not have time to visit; I would never see the posts that are in there I would never have a chance to answer where if it is posted in the Windsor forum I would have seen it and if I knew the answer to the question I would answer it.

We really do not have enough traffic in the other forums to add another. When I get on this site, I can see all the posts on one page for the day and can browse all the posts with out having to load another page and that saves me a lot of time.

I have a very fast connection (cable) but still do not like to jump from page to page. Some people on the site do not have a fast connection.

These are just my opinions and I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:34 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

I don't believe the addition of another forum is necessary. Not only would the Windsor forum lose traffic, the mostly quiet Modular Madness forum would as well. Also, the modular engines are popular power adder receipents, and I could see advice not being consistant for both the Windsor engines and the Modular engines.

I think it's best to keep the tech seperated as it is now, that way you can learn about which superchargers worked well with the engine you have.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:55 PM   #10
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Unit, I agree completely with your point. I can see how people could easily get confused that way.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:39 AM   #11
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Come on!

4.6's have there own forum, 4 cylinders have there own forums and the lightning, bullit, Svt cars have there own forum..............Cars with power adders and stroker kits are a whole other animal and should be treated as such. most of the people I have seen that are against it argue that it would take traffic away from the windsor forum....Take a look at the post in the windsor forum right now there are 4 or 5 post that would fit in a power adder forum...

Well Hell, heres what I am saying, if noone uses the forum whats it going to hurt and if people do use the forum its a touchdown.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:05 AM   #12
rbatson

When I first read the subject I was thinking it would be a great idea. Unit does have a good point, it makes alot of sense. On the other hand, it couldn't hurt(I don't think).

I haven't checked out the windor forum in quite some time(probably a yr or more) until real recently because.. some old 'what tire will fit', which tb, generic chip question, gears and so on gets tiring after a yr or so. I actually once looked forward to the windsor forum, now its just somewhat tiring to me. If there was a poweradder/stroker forum I'd be checking that out before the lounge(where I usually hang these days). It may even get the attention of any new comers(like Girls can too did) to the site. I'm sure we could learn alot from it but I'm also afraid that it would take away from the windsor forum but....... it may just add to it(new members and/or more participation). It doesn't hurt to change and if it did hurt anything... we could always go back.

Change is progress. Lets move forward..
Old 01-17-2002, 03:03 AM   #13
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

You could try it, and some people may use it, some may not. As I've watched the number of forums expand on this site, I've noticed a couple different scenerios.

Long time members continue using their favorite forums. Some new users post in the proper forum (which experiences low traffic) and therefore doesn't necessarily get the best advice. Some new users just plain post anywhere.

Dark_5.0, we do have separate forums for Mod engines, and Windsor engines, and the Small Ponies, and the Classics. They cover all the aspects of that type of engine/car. Adding a forum for a type of modification would mearly cause the 4 banger turbo's, the forced induction 3.8's, 4.6's, 5.0's etc etc to all be grouped together for tech advice. I don't think that is a very good idea.

It's also much more difficult for dialup users, like what I'm stuck with at the moment. Changing from forum to forum takes time. Somebody posting in the Forced Induction Forum might not get the opportunity to have all the knowledgeable people responding to his/her thread if they don't visit that forum and instead stick to say Windsor Power. Wading through topics that may or may not relate to your engine or car when you are looking for answers quick may also be a problem. When you go to Windsor Power, you know you'll be getting information for the 5.0/5.8 engines about 90% of the time. When you go to Modular Madness, you know you'll be looking at information for your 4.6L car, not some old 5.0. Right now I feel it's organized for the quickest easiest way to search for topics you need info on, find and answer questions that you have knowledge to spread, and avoid unnecessary wading through irrelevant material.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:15 AM   #14
rbatson

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
search for topics you need info on, find and answer questions that you have knowledge to spread, and avoid unnecessary wading through irrelevant material.
I agree with you Kell, but this is also the reason I think a power adder/stroker forum may be useful.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:28 AM   #15
Five0
Registered Member

I could not have said it better unit!

If we had a way to check a couple of boxes for the forums we wanted to visit and they would all be loaded on the same page then that would help me with this issue and I don't mean a way to load every post on every forum for that day, just the ones you want to visit.

Hey Dan can you do that? If so I would be up to giving the new forum a try and would even visit it.

What does everyone else think of this idea?
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:35 AM   #16
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Uint does have a good Point about the Winsor Guys and the Mod Guys it could be a bit confusing at times But I would be Up for a test Run of it I will Post in It as much as I could. I realy dont like it when there are about 3 of more Place I might make my post and If I did not know what one would be the best place to post it I dont think the Windsor Power forum as to much Traffic to realy need a new One.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:13 PM   #17
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Post My take:

Well I think no matter what we do, it's not that big of an issue. But here's what I think.

Say I have a 1995 Mustang GT ( ). Now when I look at my car's performance I see the whole car. So I want to install a blower. Great I could go to this new forum and find out which SC to buy, how much boost to run, etc. But then when I pick my cam or heads or intake or throttlebody where to I go? Windsor or the new power adder site? What about if you get comfortable in the power adder board and then you have a question on suspension?

Now we all know that all those parts vary drastically between a 3.8, 5.0, or 4.6. So now I'm not sure whose going to get the best advice on the intake I should pick. Well if I go to the Power adder forum, I could get some one who knows only about the 4.6. Well that doesn't help any. Of course the arguement could be made that a 5.0 guy could pick up the question, but hey if you post in windsor you know you're going to get an answer from someone who knows the car. I just think that if we all owned only engines that would be fine, but our cars are made up of a lot more.

Then what happens if you have one thing posted in the power adder forum and the same post in windsor or mod forum? You lose some of the "discussion". I don't know about you, but if I see someone posting the same topic in 2 (or more) boards, I ignore the 2nd or 3rd posts.

Either way the board will still be great, but I think we should keep our forums together. Who knows maybe then we should have a "Turbo" forum and a "Supercharger" Forum and definately a "Nitrous" forum. Where does the specialization end?

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:22 PM   #18
rbatson

Hmmm.. Alot of good points. Maybe it is better like it is..
Old 01-17-2002, 07:42 PM   #19
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default Power Adder Post's

Not only do I think we need a dedicated power adder section, If it was up to me, and I have absolutely no idea what is involved, such as cost, etc....I would have separate sections for Nitrous, Superchargers, and Turbo's, they are radically different in how you tune them, i think separate areas would be justified.

Let's (it already is) make this the best stang site on the net!
Old 01-17-2002, 08:06 PM   #20
exgmguy
Registered Member

Default Power adder section

I think it would be a great addition.

I would also sign up for the moderators job if you were looking. I am currently a moderator for the nitrous forum of www.motownmuscle.com.

So I have experience!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote