View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 10:33 PM   #1
Mach 1
Registered Member

Default How do you price your modified stang when selling it?

Do you all take somewhere around blue book, depending on condition, regardless of mods, or do you add on money to the sale price for every mod you have made?

I guess it all boils down to how fast you want to sell the car, waiting for the right buyer, etc...

Just curious for other opinions.

I had my car advertised for $6000.00, which I thought was a reasonably fair price. I agreed to sell it to some 19 year old kid on the phone. He is driving to Georgia from Indiana with his buddy in a rental car, and wants the car so bad he is practically overflowing with enthusiasm.

After I agreed to let him have it for $5800 on the phone, he mentions that he was surprised I only wanted $6000.00 for it considering the mods I have done. He said he saw similar cars for $10,000.

I was thinking that you will never be able to sell a modified car for the money you have in it, and priced mine around dealer retail price, which is usually $1500.00 more than a private owner can expect to get in a sale.

I guess the 19 year old kid who wants to buy it isnt aware that if you pay KBB you are paying too much, and you can easily pay private party prices even to the dealer, and the dealer would still make a more than fair profit, as they typically low ball the trade in value.

So in this kids mind, my car is worth full dealer reatail of aproxiamtely $6000.00, plus $4000.00 for the mods I have in it, and he might have paid me $10,000 for the car, and still felt happy with the deal.

I on the other hand belive in selling cars fairly....I guess thats my problem, im too honest?

Then again, if I priced it higher, would I have had any interest in the car?

Did I just screw myself out of $4000.00?

Could I have got $10,000 if I waited for a long time until the right person came along, or would people laugh at my asking price and move on?
RHC member #142

Last edited by Mach 1; 11-22-2002 at 10:39 PM..
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote