MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-15-2002, 08:06 PM   #1
POISNUS
Registered Member

Default Probate laws in Kentucky....

Hello everyone, my girlfriend needs some help concerning some property that she should have inhereted. She became an heir to the estate, when her mother passed away a couple of years ago. Then two years after that her grandmother passed away.

Now her grandfather just recently passed away. Now that her grandparents have passed the estate goes to my girlfriend and her uncle (50/50).

Well her uncle moved into the house right when the grandfather passed away and is living there now. My girlfriend asked her uncle (she wasn't prying, or being greedy) if there was anything they needed to take care of (as in the reading of will).

He said no I don't want to do that right now. He also stated that he couldn't find the will. I have a feeling that he is trying to swindle her out of her property somehow.

This could be a considerable amount of money. There were multiple 5 figure CD's at the bank, stocks, bonds, a 200 acre farm with a 3 bedroom brick ranch.

The farm is located in Gray, Kentucky, right by Corbin.

I know this is kind of long, but any help would be appreciated. She spoke with a lawyer and he said she would have to get a lawyer down in Kentucky. So if there are any lawyers or people who know of good lawyers in that area or just know what to do we would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jason

1989 GT Racecar (11.0x's on motor and an aborted spray run of 10.27)

1997 F-350 Powerstroke
POISNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 09:42 PM   #2
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

She is going to have to contact an attorney in Kentucky, preferably in the county of the decedent's residence to check with the Recorder of Wills at the Courthouse and see if a will is on file.

I always thought a will was to be as read soon as possible after the death of the person in question, but an attorney would have to give her that answer. Sounds like Uncle may be pulling a snooker on her to his benefit.

I would suggest she do this post-haste, as Uncle could be cleaning house to his benefit, but I hope I'm wrong.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:38 PM   #3
streetracinchik
Registered Member

Since I'm in KY, I'll see what I can find out for ya.. I'm not near Corbin really, but I'll check on state basics..

Hardcore 5.0

Moderator, Mississippi Bad Boys

2000 Monte Carlo SS

1990 Mustang GT : Carbuerated, Holley 650, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, GT40P Heads, Worldclass T5, Full Length MAC Headers, Flowmasters, Roller Rockers, 3:73 Gears, 31 Spline Moser axles, Manual rack & No A/C

Ricer Hater's Club- member # 18
streetracinchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 04:16 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

I don't know much about the laws of Kentucky, but with the listing of property you menitoned, I would imagine the estate needed to file a 706 with the IRS. As an heir of the estate, she should be entitlied to receive a copy, and if nescicarry, use the property listings and values against her uncle.

Like everyone else metioned, call a lawer in KY yesterday. I'll ask our estate and trust expert about her rights to the return, and post an answer later.

Seems like there is def. something going on there unfortunatly.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:47 PM   #5
POISNUS
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Please if anyone knows anything else let me know. I know she will have to call a lawyer down there to find out about it.

Streetracinchik: thanks I am not being lazy here, I just thought some fellow mustangers might have some thoughts on this.

Deuce: Thanks I would appreciate the reply.

Yeah we suspect this because he is crooked and he just bought a brand new Durango with cash.

Also the week of her grandfather's funeral he pulled 50,000 out of the bank.

Thanks,

Jason

1989 GT Racecar (11.0x's on motor and an aborted spray run of 10.27)

1997 F-350 Powerstroke
POISNUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:21 PM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Have her do something ASAP!! My great uncle did the same thing and swindled all the heirs for at least low to mid 6 figure inheritance's a peice. The sad part is that he was already a CEO of an oil company in Baton Rouge, LA. It is not like he was hurting for cash, he is just greedy. How do you think the rich get rich, it ain't from being charitable. I would hate to see another person end up in the same shoes he did. I could have had college paid for, but instead I had to pay for it myself right out of highschool. CALL A LAWYER!!!!!
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote