MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2002, 05:59 AM   #1
marton
Registered Member

Question 1993 5.0 GT convertible top problems

Hi,

Couple of questions!
Firstly, I broke a top hold down spring and ordered one from Mustang Unlimited but they don't supply them anymore. I live in Switzerland so I can't go to my friendly neighbourhood Ford dealer. Any suggestions? This is what they told me.

F2852 CONVERTIBLE TOP HOLD DOWN CLAMP-SPRING LEFT HAND LOWER - This spring is no longer in production,we can not supply it any more.If you have any questions,please e-mail us back.We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank You, Mustangs Unlimited, Sales Team

Secondly, The power top doesn't work anymore. I read a thread that said I should try filling the hydraulic under the back seat. I lifted out the part you sit on but see nothing to fill? Is it behind the back of the seat and is it easy to take out? Looks like a I have to remove 2 bolts, one in each bottom corner?
Appreciate any help - be careful out there

Marton
marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 10:16 PM   #2
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Top parts...

Marton,
The hydro-mechanical unit is behind the back of the rear seat. Remove the 2 bolts you mentioned and you will clearly see the cylindrical unit. There is a small rubber grommet on one end of the unit. Carefully position the unit vertically with the grommet facing up. Carefully remove the grommet and top off the reservoir with a good quality DOT 3 hydraulic fluid or equivalent. Re-install the unit ensuring that the four rubber mounts are secure. Cycle the top motor several times (do not run it past the limits and strain the unit) to remove all air. It will purge air automatically this way. Then, if you notice the top still not operating correctly, check the fluid and top off again if necessary and repeat. If you are going through a lot of fluid, then you might have a leak at one of the cylinders. Look at the base of each cylinder at the bottom of each arm rest and check for leakage.
Check Mustang Restoration for parts...
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 01:46 PM   #3
marton
Registered Member

Default Oh Dear.....

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I tried it tonight. I filled the cylinder and the top went up and down under power. But it did not work well and made strange noises. So I took the plug out again and put in fluid for a second time. Then raised and lowered the top again.
Sadly! there was a big bang from the driver side rear and a lot of fluid ran out under the arm rest. Also a couple of pieces of hard white plastic fell out which looked like the remains of some sort of screw in hose connector.
It was getting dark so I did not investigate further.
The good news is that with no fluid in the system it is easy to raise and lower the top manually. It also closes easier than before, I always had trouble under power to close the last half inch - now it shuts easily by hand!
Any advice appreciated - especially where I could buy parts from!

You mentioned Mustang Restoration in your last mail but when I searched the web there were hundreds of them - could you give me the link?

Good Driving

Marton
Old 03-08-2002, 02:17 PM   #4
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Parts...

Marton,
One of the best places I know of is Texas Mustang Parts. They stock all convertable top parts and ship anywhere.
Sorry to hear about your cylinder blowing up. Mine did that two years ago. I really don't know why they put plastic on such an assembly. Re-installing it wasn't too bad, just getting the fittings off after 12 years took some time in order to not damage the cylinder.
Let me know if you need any more help. I have all of the Ford Repair Manuals. Good Luck.
Convertables may be a pain to work on, but here today in Florida it is 78F and sunny
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:29 PM   #5
marton
Registered Member

Wink

I took the side panel out today and the cylinder is certainly kaputt. There is oil everywhere.
I would appreciate any advice on changing the cylinder, it seems to be bolted on with one bolt and I guess there is an arm connected from the cylinder to something but I don't see it. There also seem to be 2 hydraulic hoses cables connected to the cylinder.
I suppose these are like brake cylinders? If I change one then I should change both of the cylinders because the extra pressure from the new one will break it anyway?
I have a Haynes repair manual but it says nothing about convertibles so I would appreciat any advice.

Thanks Marton