MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2002, 06:35 PM   #1
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Question Quick ? on '98 V6s

I know a kid who just bought a yellow (phucker be copyin me) '98 V6 hardtop. It's pretty good looking, still has the 3 spoke rims and all, but it has a nice, and tasteful ground effects package with dual exhaust (not even fart tips! woo hoo!). Anyways, this kid is a little shyt, and I pulled in to ask him about it.

He comes up right away talking about how fast it is and I said "Dude, it's a six cylinder." It's stock, besides the exhaust.

He said "Well, I'm dropping in a four point....uhhh...no a five point oh, no wait a five point, uhh, five point four. Dual over head cams with 500 horsepower."

I said, "So, who's going to be doing this? You, I presume?"

"Yeah, that's right. As soon as I get the money."

"Well, good luck. Let me know when it's done." Of course, it will never happen.

"Yeah, we'll have to race sometime. Maybe one of these nights we'll race with just my six still in it."

I said "Nah, don't bother even askin me. Not worth it."

Then, some drunk idiot came into the picture...This is great. You'll love this. He shouts "HEY! I wanna see a race!"

I said to him "That car's a is a stock six cylinder, man. Come on."

He replied "Yeah but it's got like turbos, valves, and fuel injection ****. Right?"

I started laughing, rather hard, and said "You're shittin me, right?"

The drunk guy said "What do you have, a 302?" as he's standing next to my car with the "351" tags in clear view.

I took out my hood pins, lifted the hood, and said "Three fifty-one."

He said "Well, it would still be close. New cars are way faster."

I slammed my hood shut, put the pins on, got in my car, rolled down the window, said "You guys are too much for me, see ya later." I then proceded to pull out of the gas station, take it up to about 3 grand in first, and stomp on it down main street. Wrapped up first and as I shifted into 2nd I got off it....

Anyways, the next time I see him, I just want to have a little hard information to throw at him. What kind of power numbers do the '98 V6s have? What kind of times do they see in a 1/4 mile? And about how much does a '98 coupe weigh?

Thanks for the info..... Sorry about the length.....
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
Janeofalltrades

A 3.8L engine is 232 ci and my vehicle certification label says 4291 LBS. (Kinda like the fat girl at the prom..LOL)....Here is a website someone spent a bit of time putting together.. ......

http://web2.iadfw.net/robmu/eyewtk.html

I have a little V-6 Coupe, White...Strut tower brace, K&N nothin' big....Havn't yet had a chance to get the Eibachs put on....Still in the box...Single exhaust...It is an AOD... It can get some giddy up on a good day......As for ET in 1/4..???? Good Question... Best way to settle any argument is line it up!....To spped limit....But a couple times can settle who's who....

IMO you guys were comparing apples and oranges though....

Good Luck.... ~Jenn~

AND BTW...I was just checking the specs on your car..LOL...OK... I can't even believe you LET this guy work you up.... It's a V-6 and second......Your car could be out of tune, missing a firing order with the caberator fuel/O2 mixture all F-up and and still probably wipe his butt! Trust me.I have a 98 V-6 Coupe and exhaust w/15-30hp increase is not going to bring it close to you man.....Relax...Take the high road. It's knowing what you have under the hood and being confident with it that counts.....Let him fry his engine trying to dog ya...and then fly by him waving and just laugh!
Old 12-27-2002, 07:22 PM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

There's a kid here locally that runs his v6 at Carlsbad all the time. Nice guy, just can't handle the v8 insurance. Anway, he runs 16.7 or so all day long. He drives fairly well too.

I'd imagine a spectacularly driven car might see 16.4, at maybe 85. Nothing worth writing home about.

Ask him if its a spray bore 4.6 going in the car. He he he.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:32 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

The 98 V-6 Mustang puts out 140hp and if I remeber correctly 235 foot pounds of torque.

It weights in at 3,065 pounds according to the NADA.

High 16 or low 17 second car.

Bet him money......

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
Janeofalltrades

Default Tireburner..Those VCLs!

Hey Tireburner...Those Vehicle Certification Lables on the door frame of the car should be pretty accurate to the vehicle. I looked at my VCL and it said for my 1997 produced..1998 model year v-6 coupe it weighed 4291 lbs...Like the fat girl at the prom friend....LOL ???

~Jenn~
Old 12-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #6
The Sandman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Janeofalltrades
Hey Tireburner...Those Vehicle Certification Lables on the door frame of the car should be pretty accurate to the vehicle. I looked at my VCL and it said for my 1997 produced..1998 model year v-6 coupe it weighed 4291 lbs...Like the fat girl at the prom friend....LOL ???

~Jenn~
The 42xx is the Gross Vehicle Weight, meaning how much it *would weigh* with the trunk full of luggage, seats full of passengers, etc.
The curb weight on those cars is about 3050 or 3100 I believe, not too heavy.
The power they make is 155 hp (for certain) and like 195 or 200 lbs of torque.

« Red Firebird »
[ A4 ][ W68 ]

[ Interior Painted Red/Black ][ Wings West Spoiler (Black) ][ Firebat Decals ]
[ (^ How-to For ^) ][ Zaino'ed x 17 ]
[ Mobil 1 ][ Flowmaster 80 ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LS1.com Moderator
FirebirdV6.com Moderator
North Bay Mustang Moderator
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 10:39 PM   #7
Janeofalltrades

The Sandman Wrote "The 42xx is the Gross Vehicle Weight, meaning how much it *would weigh* with the trunk full of luggage, seats full of passengers, etc.
The curb weight on those cars is about 3050 or 3100 I believe, not too heavy.
The power they make is 155 hp (for certain) and like 195 or 200 lbs of torque...."

Well this must be why I kept blowing the shocks on the Explorer I had...LOL...This is the MAX weight the car can be...Well hell..Isn't tht how ya' all track your cars..Full of luggage and the family.... LOL

Thanks Sam.... w/a..... ~Jenn~
Old 12-28-2002, 10:44 PM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Ok I looked it up they put out 145 hp and 215 foot pounds of torque.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 10:47 PM   #9
Janeofalltrades

Default Cool...

Now I know what my Old slow boy did/does..LOL

145hp / 215tq ....LOL Seems so little compared to the new GT...LOL...He is a good old stable ride though!

~Jenn~
Old 12-28-2002, 11:02 PM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Default Re: Quick ? on '98 V6s

Quote:
Originally posted by 6T9PONY
...Anyways, the next time I see him, I just want to have a little hard information to throw at him. What kind of power numbers do the '98 V6s have? What kind of times do they see in a 1/4 mile? And about how much does a '98 coupe weigh?.....
Dude, he's not even worth the time. Even if you wasted gas on a race, people like that will still just make excuses ... not worth the time...
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:00 AM   #11
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

dude, i dont get people in their V6 stangs with dual exhaust thinking that their cars are fast. i know that 94-98 v6s came with 145hp. my best friend has a 95 v6 dual exhaust, i have to race him with 4 of my plugs pulled for it to be close. not worth your time, considering your car is a beast and the 98 v6 is a piece when it comes to power. Tell him youll race him but first you have to go home and make sure your bike tires have air in them.
-9mm FMS Spark Plug Wires
-Hedmann Headers 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
-Flowmaster 40 series 2.5" Catback
5.0 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote