MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2001, 06:16 PM   #1
Extremestang

Cool Quick tranny question for the....

I have a 95 stang with a shot tranny mount. What symptoms might i notice in driveability? Such as noises, diffrence in acceleration, ect. Anyone's help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Extremestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 06:59 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

What i would do is jack the car up, support it securely with jack stands and maybe a floor jack as well. Get under there a shake the tail housing of the tranny forcefully. If it moves much, then check out the trans mount carefully. Maybe even remove it for inspection. Replace it if there's any question. It couldn't cost too much.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 07:14 PM   #3
Five0
Registered Member

I think I paid like $20 for a replacement trany mount for my car, and they are east to change.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 07:42 PM   #4
Extremestang

Thanks guys, but i already bought a new one and its easy to replace, yes. But i want to know what kind of symptoms the car could feel as in drivability from a bad mount.
Old 09-09-2001, 07:46 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

My guess is it would make a "clunk" when you applied power or let off. What did it actually do anyway?

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 07:59 PM   #6
Extremestang

Yea, it makes an annoying clunk noise occasionally. I first thought it was the u-joints, but they are good. I'm wondering if the mount being bad, could cause loss of power on take off. Does the free play from the bad mount take away positive shifting? There has been an occasional vibration at take off and at slow speeds, it comes and goes. What is going on in your opinion?
Old 09-09-2001, 08:18 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Your engine will have more of a left (drivers side) to right (pass side) torque jump, similar to a broken motor mount. I have had at least 15 customers who came in telling me they needed a set of motor mounts, when it was the tranny mount that was bad. Given long enough, however, it will break the motor mounts too.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 08:28 PM   #8
Extremestang

Chris, nice to hear from a local. I see your into sprint car racing here in ventura. Anyway, yea, when i put in the new motor, new mounts were put in as well, just neglected the tranny mount. Seems i lost a little response from my 3:55's with a bad mount...is that possible? Guess im trying to eliminate possibilities while i have the car in the air. Thanks guys, keep em comin.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:48 PM   #9
PKRWUD

Likewise! I was just checking out your website, and recognized alot of background! Anyway, the stiffer the driveline, the more power is driven to the wheels. A broken tranny mount will use up some of the energy you're expecting to see at the rear wheels. You will notice an improvement after replacing it. I can't promise that the world will be perfect, because I don't know what other problems may exist, but you will notice a big improvement, especially in throttle response.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 09-09-2001, 09:02 PM   #10
Extremestang

Chris, thats what i thought was going on. When i dumped the motor for the 97, and first drove it, i thought damn, this response sucks....couldn't even get second gear scratch. Anyway, my roomate races out there at the track. His name is aaron main. Thanks for your help Chris, and by the way....where is your shop located?
Old 09-10-2001, 02:04 AM   #11
PKRWUD

What class does your friend race in (ponies, street stocks, VRA mods, IMCA mods, etc.)? The name doesn't ring a bell, but I don't really have time to follow the other classes (crewing for a Sprint is a FULL time job at the track!).

My "shop" is mobile. My City of San Buenaventura business license says I'm a "Mobile Auto Repair Service", but I pretty much work when I need to. I specialize in High Performance engine work and repair, and have 3 ASE certs. Hell, I even worked for Bill Elliott once, but sometimes I have to do routine maintenance work to pay the bills. I do alot of carb rebuilding and diagnostic work too. Made enough to get through August on a turbo Volvo in July. The rest is just peanuts. I'm perfectly content with "getting by". Of course, my ex wasn't to hip on that line of thinking. Steves Repair in T.O. has been trying to get me all summer (I worked for his brother's Sprint car team last year), but I can't afford to leave my tools there. I do alot of minor rebuilding and assembly in my garage. I used to run a full business out of it, but my neighbors didn't appreciate it, and called the city and had them send me a warning. Did you know it's against the law in Ventura to work on a vehicle at a private residence unless the registered owner lives there? Anyway, I went legit about 8 years ago, and got my business license and registered my business name with the city, county and state. Even had a Yellow Pages listing with GTE, but that $500 a year could buy tools instead, so I dropped it after a year. My work truck is a '95 F-150 with 3 toolboxes in the bed, and alot of diamond plate! I used to always carry my air compressor with me too, but now I leave it here unless the job requires air tools. I live over by the Govt. Center. Where are you at? How long have you lived around here? My number is 650-BONE (2663).

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 09-10-2001).]
Old 09-10-2001, 01:42 PM   #12
PKRWUD

BTW, I noticed when I got back last night that I had gotten a call from "Naval Air Station", but no message... wasn't you, was it?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet