MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-27-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
Tessypooh
Registered Member

Exclamation Recent Mustang Accident - Need an Estimate...

Hey.. My name is Tess, I'm 15 (in one month I'll be 16), and I'm kind of new here, but since it seems like a lot of you know quite a bit about cars, I was hoping I could ask a couple questions about a Mustang... Specifically, my brothers. You see, just tonight he got into an accident with a friend in the car. He and his friend are perfectly fine. My brother, being the idiot that he is, (and trying to impress his friend), was going pretty damn fast around a left turn and the car ended up spinning and crashing into a "30 mph" sign (Ironic, no?) - The pole made about a 10 inch deep dent north to south on the driver side door. The door now won't even close and the window was shattered. It's no dent, that's for sure. He's 19 years old with a sports car- the insurance is already pretty high for him. Now that he got into an accident, I'm worried about how much the accident will cost my mom. My mom already works 2 jobs and I don't know if my she'lll be able to afford it.

If any of you could give me an estimate on about how much you think it will cost to fix this mess, I'd surely appreciate it. If not, thanks anyways.
Tessypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Recent Mustang Accident - Need an Estimate...

time to buy your brother a 89 toyota corolla and to not claim the mustang.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

If your Mom is working two jobs and pays for your brothers car "issues", seems like your brother needs a different car. But, this is not a lecture circuit....sorry.

Always hard to guage damage based on a description, but I would say he is looking at $2,500 to fix it. Course, it all depends on where you go and what kind of completed job you are going for. You best bet is to find a body guy who is looking for side work. That is alwyas the cheapest route especially if insurance is not paying for it.

Paint work is not cheap.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

If it's just the door that is damaged, chances are he can get a door from a salvage yard, window and all. If he is real lucky, it will be the same color and he won't have to get it repainted! Good Luck.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

I just replaced a headlight on my car because I creamed a deer christmas eve... Ironic? So i recently discovered first hand how expensive some of these parts cost.... but you should call salvage yards around your city. You should also check www.corral.net in their FOR SALE section they have a great selection of parts. If you cant find anything there you should definatly check www.stangparts.com I got my new headlights from their for a fraction of what everyone else wanted them for. That site was AWESOME! Good Luck !!!

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

10" deep dent in the door? That would imply damage to the roof and rocker panels, possibly the floorboard etc. I'm surprised a sign did that much damage.

Anyway, the car is probably totalled if the roof and floor are damaged more than a very minor ding. The door itself is going to be very hard to find if you're in the Chicagoland area. Rust will have claimed most of them by now.

If the new door needs to be repainted, add $200-$400 depending on the body shop. A good door itself will probably cost $200. The damage to the rocker panel and roof will be expensive to very expensive.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:22 AM   #7
Capri306

Agreed, it's going to be very expensive to fix if there's more than damage to the door. Fox bodies do very well in slow-speed collisions...up to a point, and then it's not even worth fixing. The door itself is minor to replace, as previously stated; but as Unit5302 points out, anything more would probably cost a LOT, mebbe even more than the car is worth, sorry to say. I would get an estimate and go from there. Unless the rest of the car is spotless and it has low miles, I'd say total it and let it go.

THEN get the 89 Corolla for him.

Oh, BTW, if you can take some good pictures of the damaged area, please post them here and we'll give you further remarks about it. A picture is worth a thousand words, ya know.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 PM   #8
NeedleBender
Registered Member

if i were your brother id be mad that you let the whole world know how imcompetent a driver i was at high speeds. then again if i were your brother id get a job and take care of my own car and insurance since i would after all be 19.
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Forced Induction (12psi) ($6000)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
12.2 @ 113 (about $45,000)
Balls enough to use it. . .priceless
NeedleBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

If I were her brother I would be kicking myself in the ass right now. But Needle Bender is right, Its his accident, He should be taking responsibility for it! Why would he be making your mother pay for it. He better be glad she isnt my mom, he wouldnt have lived to make it home from the accident he would have been dead on the scene.

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

You hit a deer...Ha Ha Ha Ha how freakin funny is that. No you know what cjponyparts.com gave me my exhaust, a new fog light, and I might get my new tires from them. They're work out of Harrisburg PA, I actually deliver a lot of their stuff thru FedEx.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
bmxmon
Registered Member

hitting deer happens all the time up here, in Minnesota. I have had a couple friends who have had deer run into them!
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:50 AM   #12
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTPEWTER
You hit a deer...Ha Ha Ha Ha how freakin funny is that. No you know what cjponyparts.com gave me my exhaust, a new fog light, and I might get my new tires from them. They're work out of Harrisburg PA, I actually deliver a lot of their stuff thru FedEx.
CJ Pony...I know them well. Had soem of my work done there. Going to customer appreciation day in July?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #13
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

I hit a barn owl once, about three years ago I was heading to work at 3am and this little thing plopped out of a tree and right down onto the road (they're the size of a softball) I had my old Mustang, my 96 GT (which I creamed a racoon with right before I sold it...On the same road)..The owl landed on his feet and turned his head all the way around toward me as my headlights hit him..then thump. I had bad dreams about it for like a year, you know like the owl has a cartoon face and his mouth pops open just before I clunk into him. The racoon was worse, it ripped the front chin spoiler off. Then when I got to 7-11 a minuet later I left a trail of blood with my tires, so I went back and tossed him in the woods..never did get the spoiler clipped back on. Popcorn.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

After living in Pennsylvania for 3 years I never wanna go back...
Old 02-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTPEWTER
It's not funny.

Deer are extremely dangerous road hazards that can kill you, even when you're in your car. They sometimes jump before you impact them, resulting in them coming right through the windshield. They're very susceptable to "spotting" like many wild animals. They freeze when a bright light is shined into their eyes (i.e. headlights) and they often literally run out just a few feet in front of your car or even directly into the side of it. While they may not weigh much, I assure you, hitting a 100lb+ animal at almost any speed does a lot of damage. I've nearly hit deer dozens if not hundreds of times in Minnesota. In many states, it's the same problem. People build houses in suburbs, concentrating the deer population increasing the likelyhood they will cross roads in search for food. Hunting is almost always banned in suburban communities, and large predators are killed due to the danger they prove to children and even adults. That leaves the deer with no natural predators, and populations often skyrocket as the deer feed off local farm crops. Also, there are a lot of people that refuse to allow controlled extermination of the nuisance because they don't want to kill "bambi."

According to the Insurance Information Institute over half a million car accidents involving deer occur ANNUALLY with over 100 people killed, and an average repair bill of $2,000.00.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #16
andy669
Registered Member

The ONLYtime hitting a deer is/was funny, is this story.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: