MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Question Is this rice or just a poser?

What do you guys think about people that put Cobra emblems on non-Cobra cars?

The reason I ask is because back when I was younger, I wanted to turn my 5.0 into a Cobra coupe. I bought Cobra specific parts (intake, wheels, heads) and installed them with the goal of creating an LX Cobra Coupe (hence my username). I always felt Ford missed the boat when they based the 93 Cobra off of the hatchback.

I was going to concentrate on the exterior over the next year or so and collect some parts to have it refinished next winter/spring. I'm going to get a cobra-style wing and up until recently I was going to replace the 5.0 badges with Cobra emblems and toss an SVT badge on the trunk-lid. Now I'm wondering if putting Cobra emblems on a 5.0 LX or a 4.6 GT is the same as a Civic EX with an R emblem on it. I'm leaning towards not having any emblems on the car at all.

Thanks
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

I feel that if the car has the parts to back it up, and that's the goal for your car, then I wouldn't say it's RICEY. If you were to put an emblem on a car that had nothing to do with what's actually in the car, that's RICE. Personally I don't have any emblems at all and I like the way it looks, but that's my car and my choice.

Dave
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:04 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Well just don't put one of those stupid "GT R " badges on it. I personally wouldn't badge a car a Cobra, but I don't think it is that bad. I mean if you have the heads, intake, power, performance etc. then all you really are doing is creating a mock cobra. Which is really no different than when people make the replica cars like the AC Cobra.

I wouldn't call it rice or really posing. To me posing would be to dress it up as a Cobra and leave the performance at GT levels.

Go for it.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

If it were my car, I wouldnt do it. Cobra's are cool cause you don't see them everyday. If everyone and their mom were putting cobra emblems on their stangs, the mystique would be lessened. You've got a cool car is it sits right now. Why try to be something it's not?

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:04 PM   #5
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

The real question is...do you like it? If yes, then do it.

Hell, I stuck COBRA badges on my "cobra poser" V6 almost 4 years ago. Would I do it now? No...I like more subtle now, down to eliminating my spoiler completely. But I'd never let something like "not having the power to back it up" stop me. Back it up to who? If YOU like how the car looks with it. you'd better do it. Don't worry about people who worry about YOUR ride...they should be working on their own
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:15 PM   #6
andy669
Registered Member

I dont see any problem with swapping the GT badges for Cobras. Just put them where they belong! Dont put them on the side of the cowl induction hood! Or on the spoiler! Or next to the freakin' door handle! There are a couple 94 wanna-be cobras here! They just put cobra letters over the rear cover where it says Mustang GT. Man does that look dumb! I put 94 cobra wheels on my 94 GT because I wanted 17's and because I like the cobra wheels. Might seem stupid to others I guess, to each their own.
andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:51 PM   #7
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

Well, I would say it would be a one of a kind car, because Ford never did make a Cobra Coupe. It would be origional, and if I could, I would.

Once I saw an 86 4cyl convertable with a 5.0 GT painted on the sides where the 5.0 badge would go if it were a 5.0, but he had a Cobra emblem painted above the 5.0 GT, and on the back he had an LX emblem. I guess he couldnt decide what he wanted???
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

They way I see it, what makes a ricer a ricer is False Advertising!!!

For example! If you have a NOS sticker on your car and you have NO NOS whatsover on your car.

However as long as you have at least one thing that is cobra on it I dont see why you cant add a cobra emblem, but it I would have to go all out and buy alot of cobra stuff before I out emblems on my mustang.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:52 PM   #9
#1 Pony
Registered Member

They only thing I don't like when people change the badges,
maily Cobra is when they claim they have a Cobra and they don't it's a GT or V6- with snake stickers and SVT badges everywhere and it looks stock, and sound stock too! There are a bunch around here who are "Cobra" out and act like they rule the road. It gives a real Cobra a bad name and image.

But is you just want the look... go ahead.
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:20 AM   #10
No Groc Getter
Registered Member

If you had not told us you were leaning against it, I would have said go for it. Sounds like if you put them on you will end up wishing you had not. So I'm gonna say don't do it.

If you put them on and you suddenly feel the urge to start doing fly bys on the highway or feel the urge to put those pathetic illuminated tail pipes on.........seek some help fast!