MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2002, 12:53 AM   #1
Back Seat Driver
Registered Member

Unhappy Ricer Friends

Well the other day we (my friends) were standing in the hallway waiting for the tone to get to class. Well my one friend pulls out a magazine, I figure it was a skatboarding magazine because he likes to skate, but no it is a RICER MAG! anyways he is talking all high and mighty about the CIVICS . ACCORDS and all the other crud... He is flipping thourgh i say "THERES A CAR" (mustang) he says "THAT!?" and laughs
I try and go along with his FaSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSt cars. what is the Facination with BRIGHT GREEN .ORANGE, Yellow cars that sound like a bee hive?. i'm 15 and i cant stand imprts . well MOST RICED out ones anyways.
Well Long point short WHY OH WHY do ricers have an influence on people so young? .

I know it is mind Boggling

NiK
Old 01-19-2002, 02:07 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

That is an excellent question that has been bothering many of us for a long time.

I keep my distance from them due to my age and dislike for them, but since you are up close to them, maybe you can figure out what makes them tick.

I think they are convinced american cars are junk, but this still doesnt explain thier fascination with neon colors, stickers, and fart pipe exhaust systems?

Im stumped.,

good luck, let us know what you discover.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 01:03 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

It's a fad, just like lowrider trucks were when I was in highschool. I see a few lowriders around now, but not many. I sure hope the rice thing is the same way in a few years.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:07 PM   #4
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Since I'm 19, I have found out that must of it is because they are so good on gas. Since most of us don't have much money, little gas is good for us. It started out with a daily driver car untill some cheep beaten down Camro pulls next to it, and so they race. The rice guy then wants the best of both worlds, good gas and speed. Too bad they'll never get it.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 03:19 PM   #5
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I belive the reasons hondas attract the younger crowd has to do with the ability to expess themselves and be noticed using their car as their medium (that works alot) the cars are cheap and usually get great gas milege.
One of my best friends absolutly LOVES chevys and hondas. She hates fords but swallows her pride since I like mustangs, I also tolerate hondas for her sake.
I have concidered buying a new Honda Accord v-6, they are quick front wheel (which I need right now) and have the 4 door option =lower insurance

Its not really the car that bugs me its the attitude of the driver
Old 01-20-2002, 01:43 AM   #6
84LX89GT
Mustangs

This is a good post that i can really relate to because i'm one of about 2 or 3 friends that even likes domestic cars (out of over 10 who are absolute car nuts, 3 of which for some reason like volkswagens...ugh....which makes any form of conversation about cars pointless). And am the ONLY one who likes mustangs. I only have 1 friend that actually likes and drives fords as much as i do.

Anyways, most are into the ricer crap and "fast and the furious" which they absolutely love.....ugh.... I absolutely have NO idea why they like that type of modified car. But as stated previously by 91GTturbo, i think it's just a trend that will fade away slightly over time. I think most of my friends are into those cars because it's the "in" thing and that it's "cool" to own one of those cars. I also think it's because it's a "new" trend and musclecars and V8 domestics are "old" or whatever.
To each his own, i guess.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 01:51 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I love how the rice rangers talk about poor reliability in American cars, then mod their imports until they are totally unreliable and still get spanked my a Stang.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:19 PM   #8
Coupe Devil

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
I love how the rice rangers talk about poor reliability in American cars, then mod their imports until they are totally unreliable and still get spanked my a Stang.

Makes you feel good dont it.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 03:20 PM   #9
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

It's just pure stupidity that goes threw these ricers. They don't have a clue on what's going on. I'm 17 and I got my group of friends that are into Muscle but most of our other friends are into the Honda's. You try talking about cars with them and they are lost before you hit the engine. They just like the flashy colours and such. They think if it looks fast it must be, a ricer friend of mine with a Del Sol came over Saturday after work and I started my car up for him, he knew no Honda could stand up. Not saying I can beat every Honda but I'll take any ricers with his car all lite up, and a big *** wing.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 03:22 PM   #10
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Default Re: Ricer Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Back Seat Driver
.... what is the Facination with BRIGHT GREEN .ORANGE, Yellow cars ....
Same reason baby and kid toys are brightly coloured. To keep there simple minds amused.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 11:20 PM   #11
KG88GT
Registered Member

They do it for the look. They grew up playing Gran Turismo and they want their cars to look like the fast cars in the game. It has nothing to do with performance. It is all on the surface, the wings, fart pipes, stickers etc is all surface clutter to try to make their car look and sound faster. I once saw an ad for a fake blow-off valve so you could have the psssssss sound from a turbo without having a turbo. Can you imagine. Surface cheese.
the imports you want to watch are just like the Mustangs you have to watch, the one someone took the time and effort to make truly faster (BUT Never as fast as a Mustang).
KG88GT
KG88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 11:56 PM   #12
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs down The life a ricer...

Yep, it's like what 1969Mach1 and KG88GT were saying.

Look at the age of the average ricer. Then look at how much they really know about cars. Then look at how much they actually work on their own cars. Then look at how many of them actually BOUGHT their own cars or even OWN their own cars. You'll see a trend that they are young and clueless.

At the young ricer age, they work at jobs earning minimum wage, can't wait to "fix up" their cars with a "quick" fix without consideration of what the heck a true sports/muscle car is, and just have enough money to buy stupid, worthless trinkets and doodads for their cars: A shiny, $20 3" diameter exhaust tip, cheap stickers, cut their springs, window tint, cheap Auto Zone neon lights, fog lights, seat belt pads, window banners, etc. They play Gran Tourismo (which is one of the best games in the world, BTW) but forget it is a game and that it actually takes a great amount of money to make almost any economy car quick/fast (and I mean at least 13.5 or faster in the 1/4).

They hang around older ricers who previously walked the same shameful path who influence the young ricers and affirm the ricology in the minds of the young ricers. Then when the young ricers get better jobs that pay more, a driver's license, their own car, or whatever, they go for the major ricities: ricer rims, gigantic spoilers/wings (jungle gyms), outrageous paints schemes, outrageous ground effects, etc-- things they assume (or have been told by the elder ricers) would make their car Faaaaasssst. By the time they figure this out, their minds are so currupted by the ricers gone b4 them-- the ricer elders-- that the sad, dispicable trend continues. They are assured in their own minds that all HOndas are Fast and Furious and all domestics are old news.

Seldom can you reason with a ricer; his mind has been bleached void of all reason and his lack of wisdom is a chain about his neck and shackles about his feet. We can only hope to guide the minds of young ricers towards the realm of the true muscle/sports car way b4 it is too late and he has crossed into elder ricership, for at that point, there is no recourse.... Or we could just keep smokin them, from stoplight to stoplight, day by day, until the scales from their eyes are melted away, giving way to the precious light of true Muscle car ideology.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:00 AM   #13
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

that was the best said thing i think ive ever red foxbody!!!!!
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:31 AM   #14
Mach 1
Registered Member

Nice....real nice!

Great post Fox-body!
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:55 AM   #15
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I really enjoyed that fox body. I will never understand how this all came about though. I will never understand it. (Follow the heard just another cow). That is all i can think of it as. People always claim that they want to be different but then just want to do what everone else is doing.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:09 PM   #16
kystang86
Registered Member

It,s that damn rap music!
honda sucks!
rice boys suck
Old 01-24-2002, 03:22 PM   #17
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

Foxbody you should make that one of those e-mail chain letters.

"Send this message to as many ricers as possible. If you don't send this message to at least 10 ricers in the next five minutes you will have bad luck for a year."
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:01 PM   #18
speedemn
Registered Member

I think you guys make a lot of valid points about "ricers." However it seems like you are making a blanket statement just by looking at a very small proportion of the import scene.

Yes, the stigma associated with young kids is sometimes true. Their mommy and daddy buy them a car and they have no clue what to do but try to make it aesthetically similar to what they've seen in bs movies like The Fast and the Furious. The result is sometimes ugly, unreliable, ugly and ugly! Even another import tuner will tell you that. But the same can be said about kids who drive certain domestics like Neons, Cavaliers and Sunfires. Another note is that most of those imports are just Hondas!

However there is a whole world of imports out there that are totally different. A lot of Toyotas and Nissans just to name a couple are very mod-worthy cars and are owned by a lot of knowledgeable people who know what to do and how to do it. And yes, many of those cars can spank Mustangs around any day (God forbid, right?)

I just think that it is quite narrow minded to pick on maye a small 10% of the import owners population and beat that dead horse over and over again to reassure yourself that what you are doing is better or correct. I can pick just as many examples of truly riced out Neons and Cavaliers and Focuses (Foci???) and beat that topic dead about how those kids think they are Vin Diesel and have modded their car to do a 19 ec 1/4 mi from the stock 22 sec 1/4 mi thinking that they now rule the streets with their blue windshield washer nozzles and fake dual exhausts.

My point is that there are idiots and people in the know in both the import and domestic scene. Being ignorant about the whole thing doesn't really serve any purpose.

BTW I drive a Toyota and my best friend drives a 94 Mustang GT. We have respect for each others' cars and help each other out all the time. Please do not attach the Honda riceboy image to all import drivers.

I visit this board occasionally for tips and tricks on little things like oil, gas, blah, blah since its been around for so long that almost everything has been talked about! Keep up the good work on this board.
speedemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:04 PM   #19
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I am just going to but a Honda and a chevy, that was I will cover all bases and no one can say I am biased!!!! LOL
Old 01-24-2002, 04:23 PM   #20
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

quote:
"My point is that there are idiots and people in the know in both the import and domestic scene. Being ignorant about the whole thing doesn't really serve any purpose."

The "ricers" that most of us speak of are the idiots that you are talking about. Everyone knows that you can make any car fast. And everyone has there own opinion. Most people here respect a person that builds a fast car, import or not.

Most import drivers seem to forget the fact that there is no replacement for displacement. Thats the root of my attitude towards ricers.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote