MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2002, 09:01 AM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Thumbs down Saleen/Cobra Clones

Is it just me or are Saleen/Cobra Fakes.....Ricey?

I pulled up beside a new Saleen stang last night or so I thought. I was not in the cobra but I wanted to see if I could set up a future race so I stoped and talked to the guy at the 7-11.

I told him nice car, and he said thanks.... I asked him how much HP the Saleens come with and he said 350HP, I said damn I had no idea. I ask him if he wanted to race my GT or my Cobra, He said no I paid way to much for this Saleen to race it. I told him I dont blame you I just thought i would ask. I ask him if I could see his engine and he said his hood latch was broke. I went in the store where his friend was and ask him if his buddies car was a real Saleen he laughed and said Yeah right he wishes its a GT with a Saleen body kit. Whats wrong with saying its a GT with a body kit?

To me this is guy a ricer.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:37 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

That idiot doesn't even know the right specs...
The Supercharged Saleen S-281 puts out 365 hp at the crank...

No doubt about it, domestic rice. I see it all the time and its just downright sad...

I mean, you can definately pick out the Yellowjacket from a crowd, and right there on the hood it proudly states "4.6 GT".
I want the LS1s to know exactly what it was they lost to....

Don't even give that poser the time of day. And if you ever see him with your Cobra, beat him down and then ask him where all his horsepower went...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:44 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Kids now a days

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:55 AM   #4
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I think this topic comes up every month like clockwork

Take it from a former "domestic ricer", I feel it ALL depends on the mentality of the driver, just as it would with Import Rice. I had a 98 V6 that I decked out as a Cobra. I wanted a Cobra soooooo bad at the age of 17, but had neither the funds, nor did I think I was ready for a RWD V8 sportscar

HOWEVER, I never acted like my car was fast, or anything more than it really was. Nor did I talk **** to anyone or try to brag like it was a TRUE Cobra etc. I also did not try to race anyone, for those people that like to grip how "fakesnakes" make their car look bad/slow in some way (why do you care that much what people think anyways )

Dark 5.0 , I feel that the moron you encountered was INDEED ricey, not to mention a liar. He should have said nah, its a GT I just happen to LOVE the Saleen kit. End of story. I don't see what's so bad about a regular ol' GT anyways I have a Saleen kit on my car as well, but I'd never try to pass it off as a Steve product!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

I think that some of the older Saleen bodywork looks better than the GT stuff, especially for the fox bodies. If you do it right, it just looks good, and a little different. going all the way with stickers and crap is a little over the top. People who know what's up can see the clues to a real/fake. The rest of the world doesn't really care because they aren't SUV's.

I gave up trying to impress people with my cars a long time ago. I guess that is something that takes some people longer to get, and some never understand it. Do what you like, and call it what it is. If the go is the show then the car will speak for itself.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:44 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

His car looked real nice I dont see why he had to lie......I still dont have a problem with his car, just him.

Later,
Old 07-15-2002, 01:16 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I don't understand folks wanting to pretend. My GT has the Saleen body, but no stickers and it still has the stock GT badging. A paper tiger aint no tiger at all. As one local youngster said to me the other day, "Ya'll representin' the GT".
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 01:21 PM   #8
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I dont see anything wrong with making saleen/cobra clones. However I agree with you that if your gonna do that you shouldnt be a moron and try to call it a real saleen or cobra. The saleen body kit for the 94-98 Stangs looks awesome as hell too.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 01:36 PM   #9
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Because of cocky Cobra owners, I took off the snakes off my fenders, because I was sick of explaining to them that, in fact, it was NOT a Cobra, that it was a GT. As if they couldn't see that it said Mustang GT on the side skirts and the back.
I just liked the snakes better than the 5.0 badges. But I ripped them off and put the 5.0's back on. I agree that THAT guy was an idiot telling you that it was a Saleen, but the majority of people that I know with badges quickly tell whoever is asking, that it is not a Cobra or Saleen.
Someone also brought up a good point saying that guys with stock GT's with the cobra badges who were getting beat by other cars, were fooling alot of the other owners into thinking that they just beat a Cobra, that also helped my decision. Now They'll know that a regular ol' GT kicked their asses.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:04 PM   #10
SilverGT02
Registered Member

Im glad this was brought up. Ive been kicking around the idea of making my GT "look like a Cobra"...only because I like the snake.

Such as side badges, guage cluster, floor mats, and a few other accessories...maybe even the suspension and brake upgrades.

Now I think it would get annoying at the local car shows explaining that its not a Cobra and why I did it

Im still deciding, but I would like to see more opinions
SilverGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 02:13 PM   #11
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Putting a body kit on a car for decorative reasons is one thing, but then trying to pass if off as the real deal is another. This guy should've known better than to try that. I've seen a Mustang in town that has Saleen body kit on it and one of those Chameleon paint jobs. It's not a real Saleen, but it looks sweet.

As far as this guy being a ricer, I think that he is. If he doesn't even want to admit that his car is a GT then that makes him one and a liar as well. You'll find the same thing with the majority of the import crowd.

Just my two cents.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 03:22 PM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Cobra clones never used to bother me till I bought a Cobra....To me they are annoying now....I dont think that I am getting arrogant....Nobody should be ashamed of a mustang....To me adding fake badges to a car is in bad taste.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:28 PM   #13
The Deuce
Registered Member

Why doesn't anybody want to drive a sleeper anymore? Put all the go fast parts on your car you can find. Leave the exterior stock, and the people you spank confused.

If the car looks plain you will only have to race when you feel like it. Make it look fast and you will spend all your time backing it up.

Can anybody explain to me this new need to make your car look fast, rather than actually making it fast, and letting it grow its own rep?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 03:32 PM   #14
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by joe4speed
Because of cocky Cobra owners, I took off the snakes off my fenders, because I was sick of explaining to them that, in fact, it was NOT a Cobra, that it was a GT. As if they couldn't see that it said Mustang GT on the side skirts and the back.
I just liked the snakes better than the 5.0 badges. But I ripped them off and put the 5.0's back on.
I agree dude, I dunno where the cockiness comes from either You just gotta brush that **** off If YOU like the badges, you slap those suckers back on, and give the SVT drivers that feel like being bullies the FINGER!!!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 03:38 PM   #15
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
Cobra clones never used to bother me till I bought a Cobra....To me they are annoying now....I dont think that I am getting arrogant....Nobody should be ashamed of a mustang....To me adding fake badges to a car is in bad taste.

It's only bad taste when you try to pass it off as one.
People should be able to do what they want to their own cars as they please... it's called individuality.
I think most people that buy Cobras become holier-than-thou automatically. Note that I said MOST definitely not all, I know quite a few cool ones, but the ones who complain about a badge, I just don't get. You know what they drive and so do they. It shouldn't hurt your egos that much, should it???

Not a flame on you dark... just that it seems that the little snake on the side of non-cobra cars really gets you guys into a frenzy!! Who cares! You'll still spank them, if they're stock, and I'll still drool over your car.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:50 PM   #16
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Faking it

The Duece:

I agree that a stock or 'sleeper' Mustang is cool and not cop-bait or race-bait for every idiot with an '89 Sentra, some stickers, a giant wing and a fart can.

I understand wanting the style of a Cobra, Saleen or whatever but it's not my thing and it would just feel fake to me but anyone can do as they please with their own car.

It's when those who go the Cobra Clone route try to keep the con going by claiming it's really a Saleen or whatever (like the guy Dark 5._0 encountered) that's lame and by definition, rice.

Making your car look fast without the power to back it up (Mustang or Import) never made sense to me but hey, what do I know? I still have the factory wheels on my LX.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote