MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2000, 06:05 PM   #1
Dominick99GT
Registered Member

Talking Vortech SC and Hyland Intercooler?

I have a 99 GT Conv. with a Vortech SC and a Hyland intercooler. When it goes into by-pass it makes and really awful loudf sound,(like a turkey gobbling), any suggestions?
Also: What can I do to get the wheels to not spin when I take off? Currenly I have 295/35/18 tires and I have a 3.73 gear.
I will put what ever it takes into my car to make it better I just need some good advice.
Thanks
Dominick

Dominick99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 11:13 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

You're going to have a hard time putting that much torque to the ground while using 3.73's. I'm probably not running your numbers, but I still have a heck of a time launching on 3.73s. The gear set is great, but you really have to know how to launch to get the most out of them. Some after market upper and lower control arms might help a bit, but mostly, the key is going to be a set of drag radials and lots of time at the track...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 12:26 PM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The first thing I would do is chassis bracing. Maximum Motorsports, Griggs, Kenny Brown, ect. Subframe connectors at least, other braces if your budget allows. A good set of subframe connecters will run $100-$150, and any number of places can weld them in (don't just bolt them on) for you for pretty cheap. Just make sure the weight of the car is on the tires when they do.

Suspension would be next. A blown 99 GT will be making a goodly amount of torque. The stock control arms and bushings wouldn't brake very easily, but they will deflect all over the place, producing wheel hop, excessive spin, and just plain hard to control. You have two basic choices:

1. Replace your control arms and bushings with heavy duty ones, such as Steeda.
2. Replace the 4 link with something else. Griggs makes 3 link suspensions which would work extremely well for you. Both alternatives would work extremely well for you, but I would go one or the other before launching a heavy supercharged convertable on drag radials or slicks.

Here the addresses:
http://www.steeda.com/
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/
http://www.griggsracing.com/

Considering the power you're making and the weight of your car, I think some upgrade is in order. But like Hammer said, the most important part is the one behind the wheel. But have fun in that beast!

------------------
AIM: Some97Snake
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 12:28 PM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

BTW: I've never heard a pop off valve that sounded like a turkey. It may be sticking or flapping around.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 01:11 PM   #5
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Putting that much power to the ground can be tricky but snake has it right ... suspension.

I believe that should always be the first mod because usually you end up producing more power than factory/stock.

Practice and suspension mods ... I concur.

Sorry can't help on the Vortec bypass valve.

------------------
SMOKE Personalized Black 98 SVO Blown ROUSH
without the side exhaust

Dyno 303rwhp 338rwtrq Still working out the kinks!!!
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote