MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-17-2002, 12:03 PM   #1
mustangdani55
Registered Member

Default Stalking laws

Does anyone know what any laws on stalking are and what happens?

My BF's son got arrested for stalking his ex. He also got hit with criminal mischief with a motor vehicle, and driving while suspendedwith prior. The next morning bond was set at 2000.
then wwhen he went in front of the judge, bond was raised to 60.000. Whats up with that? I don't understand how it jumped from 2 grand to 60 grand. Guess there might be more to the story than I know.
Anybody got any ideas? I 'm just curious.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Stalking laws

Dani:

Indiana law states stalking as a misdemeanor.

Criminal mischief with a motor vehicle can be a felony or a misdemeanor depending on the situation and if any one was hurt in the incident.

Driving while suspended with a prior is a misdemeanor.

The court (Judge) can set bail as high as he wants if he believes the public safety or a specific person is put in jeopardy by the defendant being free. This, plus the repeat offenses probably triggered the $60,000. bail.

The court-appointed attorney should be able to fill you in on what the boyfriends son was actually charged with and what the outlook is.

I see some serious jail time in this guys future.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
mustangdani55
Registered Member

I'm afraid you are right. Serious jail time. I feel really bad for him..he's only 22, and it was his first..if you get my drift. He just can't let go.

I just found out that they are throwing a restraining order violation on him..that's probably why the raise in the bond.that is what my bond buddy said.

We have no resources to get him out. I feel really bad and so does John. Hate to see the kid there. But..we tried to tell him, and he didn't listen. Kids never listen.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:29 PM   #4
Mr 5 0

Unhappy Tough deal

Dani:

Generally these kinds of cases draw hard jail time, as you know. Courts take stalking and harrassment of women seriously after ignoring it for decades. Now the pendulum has swung the other way and the law comes down hard on offenders.

I don't know anything about the guy or this incident but 22 is old enough to know better. The "I do what I want" tough-guy attitude can often land you in this kind of trouble because, as we more mature folks (and intelligent younger people) know all too well, you can't go through life just doing whatever you feel like to anyone, anytime.

The young man certainly should have simply let her go (he's 22...not like this is his last chance for love) but ego and other things often get in the way of clear thinking.

I'm sorry for the 'family' trouble and your involvment in it (via your boyfriend) but as my father always told me: "You make your bed...you lie in it" meaning that if I screwed up (which I did) I would have to suffer the consequences (which I did). We all have to learn, sometimes the hard way. In this case, the real hard way.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:04 PM   #5
mustangdani55
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning what he did..we tried to tell him to leave her and her family alone, but he didn't listen, Yes he is in more trouble than even I can fathom. But I love the dumb butt and I feel bad for him that he has to learn the hard way.

My dad told me the same thing. You made your bed...
Believe me i can remember not listening to anyone..thought i knew it all. haha
Doesn't stop me from hurting for the boy. Ya know?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
PKRWUD

That does suck. I wonder exactly what he did. The older you get before having that "special" relationship, and breaking up from it, the harder it is to get over it. Still, it sounds like he went a bit beyond "too far". If there is any good in the current situation, it's that he'll get credit for time served for the time he's in before the sentencing. The plus to that is there isn't as big of a headache when he learns his fate. I've been no angel, and have been locked up many times. The longest stretch was for a year, but the same held true each time: after a week, you get used to it. I firmly believe that kids who get into trouble should be forced to spend a weekend in jail for their 18th birthday just to enlighten them. Two or three days would be long enough for them to get the message, and short enough that they wouldn't get used to it, or find a good Pinoccle (sp?) partner! Hopefully this experience sets him straight. Good luck!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:04 AM   #7
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation He has to have a degree in something!

Do you live in a library MR 5.0?
Where do you get all your info? Is there some kind of research that you do? It seems you've got a lot of answers! How do you do that?
Man..........

Sorry to change the subject, Dani.

My answer is with 5.0. It sounds like perfect sense to me. Is there anyway you can give us more detail? That is, if you want to.....
Old 01-18-2002, 12:39 AM   #8
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Cool MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!

~~~~I'M W/ YOU SRV...I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING!!!~~~~
He is DEFINITELY the WISE ONE of the bunch here!!!

I wonder if he's ever taken Psychology classes??? I think he missed his calling in life!!!!

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:57 AM   #9
mustangdani55
Registered Member

Unhappy

Yeah...He is the GURU of MW!!! I don't know how he does it!

Basically there is no more to tell.
Charges so far:

1. Driving on suspended w/ 3 priors..no conviction..yet.
2. Criminal mischief with intent to do bodily harm
3. Stalking
4. Violation of restraining order.

I really blame the girl for this because after they broke up he harrassed her and her family until they filed the restraining order. Then at court, the judge asked him: "Do you agree to this" and he said: "Yes".

The stupid girl keeps calling him and violating her restraining order on him. She calls and tells him she wants to see him - and he goes. I think there should be something done to her too.

Oh well. I'm bummin'.

The lawyer is going in today to ask for a bond reduction. I seriously do not think he will reduce the bond. Call it a gut feeling.

l8r guys
Old 01-18-2002, 12:14 PM   #10
Mr 5 0

Cool No secrets

srv1:

The personal advice and any opinions I offer here are simply my thoughts on the subject at hand, based on my experience and understanding of human nature. I read a lot, which helps of course.

As for very specific information - such as Dani's question regarding Stalking Law; I simply did a Google search under 'Stalking Law - Indiana' and received a few Indiana State links that gave me what I needed to answer her. Took about three minutes. Anyone can do this. That's what so great about search engines and I use them all the time.

You guys didn't really think I just had all this information in my head did you? Fat chance.
I have opinions and knowledge on a variety of subjects but I certainly don't know specific laws for every state. Even I don't read that much!

Still, I really appreciate the kind words and I'm glad to help out when and where I can do so and I encourage others who read but don't usually post to add your voice to the chorus whenever you feel you have something to say that might help another MW member. That's what the forums are for.

Thanks again for the compliments; you guys are great!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:24 PM   #11
mustangdani55
Registered Member

Mr 5 0:

Man, you blew it dude!!!

You had us all thinkin you were all- knowing....hehe.

No, seriously, you always have excellent advice for everyone. I have much respect for you .

There has been no word yet as far as the bond reduction.
I really hope they don't reduce it. Just doing a couple of days is (for him) the same as a slap on the hand. Or tellin' him 'Don't do it again'. But if he does stay in - maybe PKRWUD is right. Might do him some good.

Well, sorry for ramblin' on about this. I'm still bummin though

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: