MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-2001, 08:59 PM   #1
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Question A/C Delete....Can I remove the condenser & the accumulator??

Since I am replacing my radiator and everything is apart I figured I finally get around to removing my A/C.

My question is obviously I can remove the compressor, but can I remove the condenser (thing that looks like a radiator and is located in front of the radiator) and the Accumulator (round can-like thing that the A/C lines run to)? I assume I can remove them, but I wanted to be sure.

Also, I'm going to order the March A/C eliminator kit from summit. Is there any experiences with it out there, Good/Bad?

Your opinions are always welcomed. Thanks

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 07:19 AM   #2
fordgasm
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Yep, you can go ahead and remove them both.

I also used the March kit, I have the AC eliminator kit and the alternator kit. They worked out fine.

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 07:56 AM   #3
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Ditto - except for the alternater kit (still need to purchase this).

E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 10:44 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Go with the Ford A/C eliminator kit from Holcomb. It works and looks a LOT better than the March kit. It's the exact same components that Ford put on non a/c cars so it looks factory.

And yeah, you can yank all that stuff.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 12:04 PM   #5
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Thanks

You know I just might go with the ford kit if the price is reasonable, because the March kit doesn't come with a pulley. Who sells the ford kit. I remember seeing it somewhere, but I'm not sure. Time to rifle through the MM&FF's and 5.0 Mustang's on the coffee table.

I can't wait to yank all of that other stuff though. Less clutter and weight under the hood.

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
Old 06-19-2001, 12:29 PM   #6
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I dont know why you dont like the March kit because it doesnt come with the pulley. All you have to do is move the tensioner. I liked the March kit.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 01:24 PM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

The Ford kit just looks a lot cleaner IMO. It moves the power steering pump up to where the A/C used to be and just makes the whole setup look more balanced.

If you want a March kit I have a used one I'll sell ya for $15. All there is to it is a flat 1/4" thick piece of aluminum cut into a trangular shape with a few holes in it and two spacers. Kinda cheesy.

Here's a pic of the FRP setup...

I do plan on going with the March tensioner to get rid of the idler for an even cleaner look.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 06-20-2001, 12:56 PM   #8
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Exclamation

From the way the picture in the Summit catolog looked, I thought I had to buy a pulley and mount it on the bracket to complete the kit. I had no idea the March kit just moves the tensioner. Is this how it works, because I am still a little confused. I think I might just get it then after all if it just moves the tensioner.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy a new belt no matter which kit I get which sucks, because the one I have has only about 15,000 miles on it and is in real good shape.

2FastLX - I might be interested in buying that March kit off you provided, the only other thing I'll need is a new belt. Once I get this all figured out I'll let you know.

------------------
Old 06-20-2001, 02:15 PM   #9
DemonGT
Registered Member

yes post some info on some of these A/C kits all my a/c is off sept the compressor...i kinda like the one from holcomb cause all you do is bolt it on but they want way to much for it

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF,Accufab 70mm TB,TFS street heat intake

Waiting install:Nothing

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 10:51 AM   #10
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Just posting to get this topic back on the first page, so hopefully I can get some more responses.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:43 AM   #11
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I think that the ford kit looks pretty good 2fastlx...As for the march kit--All you get is exactly what 2fastlx said. Then you have to unbolt the tensioner(1 bolt) and take off that big bracket for the a/c. The bolt up the march piece and then put on the tensioner. You will have to buy a new belt. Very easy job.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC del, rear seat del.

[This message has been edited by Smokedawg (edited 06-21-2001).]
Old 06-21-2001, 12:21 PM   #12
fordgasm
Registered Member

Lightbulb

If you click on my signature it will take you to the users rides section. Click on the 3rd slot and I have a pic of the engine compartment. You can sort of see the March kit there. It relocates the tensioner like Smokedawg described. You will also see the alternator kit which eliminates the Ford cast bracket and air pump, you also get a mounting bracket and torque arm which really cleans up the engine compartment.

------------------
fordgasm
Old 06-21-2001, 01:52 PM   #13
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Fordgasm--So you arent running your smog pump anymore?? Did you notice any difference in driving with the smog pump off?
Would you mind explaining to me what all has to be done to remove the smog pump. As in plugging up lines and plugging up the EGR plate. Thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokedawg (edited 06-21-2001).]
Old 06-22-2001, 12:22 PM   #14
fordgasm
Registered Member

Yep, I removed the air pump sometime ago. I did not notice any difference after removing it but did not expect to. The drag from the air pump is minimal.

As far as removing the pump, it's pretty much a simple removal. Let's see if I can remember the high lites. You have to remove the cross over tube at the back of the heads and plug the holes in the heads. Remove the tube that goes to the H pipe, I installed an off road H pipe and plugged the connection for this tube. Plug any vacumn lines, removed EGR and put a plate over the opening. Remove the canistor and it's lines, I'm sure I missed something but that's pretty much it. I have heard some say they had problems getting check engine light and codes after removing the EGR but I have not. I also installed a phenolic spacer inbetween the upper and lower intake that plugged the port for the egr.

My car is a fair weather car and I did these mods originally to remove weight for drag racing. As it turns out it also improved the appearance under the hood. For an everyday street car it may not be worth the while, and if you have to pass emissions removing these items will be a problem and can be illegal.

Good luck

------------------
fordgasm

[This message has been edited by fordgasm (edited 06-22-2001).]
Old 06-22-2001, 11:38 PM   #15
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

IMO, the cleanest setup you can go with is the Ford A/C delete kit combined with the March alternator bracket. You lose the idler altogether.

Man, I've been looking at that pic of my engine and as soon as I get my valve covers on there I really need to do something with that cruddy old power steering pump. Maybe I'll get my polishing kit back out and go to town on everything

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

My Stang Page
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 06-24-2001, 12:26 AM   #16
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Thumbs up

My favorite part about the picture is the tools sitting on the top of the radiator. When I work on my car I always have half a sears store resting there too.

BTW, let me know if you found you March A/C delete kit. Once you find it, I'll send you a money order.

------------------