MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-21-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
My1stStang
Registered Member

Default Laws on Offroad H/X pipes

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding installing an offroad pipe on a car? I want to go with an offroad X or H pipe on my car, but I would like to know if I am breaking the law to have it on a daily driver. I live in Georgia and talk to guys all the time with offroad pipes, but they don't know if it is legal or not.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:13 PM   #2
I hate Rice
Registered Member

if you have regular emmisions testing then you probably shouldnt get one. and on a daily driver, when was the last time you got a ticket and the cop got on his knees to check if you had cats? i wish a pig would get on his knees while giving me a ticket.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:01 PM   #3
My1stStang
Registered Member

I actually live in a county where we don't need to get tested each year. I agree with you- I would like to see a cop on his knees before he gave me a ticket. I would gladly pay for that!!
Old 12-24-2001, 12:11 AM   #4
1astrsk
Registered Member

the best way to not get help on the legality of a part by a cop is to be a d!** to them in your post.
1astrsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 03:51 PM   #5
My1stStang
Registered Member

I didn't realize that I was a d!** on my post!! Maybe you could clarify what it was that bothered you. If it is that you are a cop, maybe you should get a sense of humor!!!! This board is full of sarcastic comments.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:42 PM   #6
1astrsk
Registered Member

I asked for a sense of humor for christmas--I'll let you know tomorrow. It was more the pig comment. Shoulda been more specific.

Any change to the stock exhaust emmision system in any way is a violation of Ga law. An officer can do a roadside visual inspection, whether you have yearly inspections or not, and write a citation and tow your vehicle. The code section is 40-8-130.

Do most officers know this? no, But you would be amazed at how many of us have mustangs or other musclecars and could spend all day ticketing and towing modified vehicles. Its pretty easy to tell if a car has cats when it passes you.

Then again, we appreciate nice cars and try not to bust nads too much as long as the driver is not a flaming ******.

If we did we would stake out Barrett parkway and the other hot spots and go "hog" wild. (I think the sense of humor is starting to take effect---slowly)
Old 12-24-2001, 11:09 PM   #7
My1stStang
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the information. I will use it when making my decision. How much is the fine if you are ticketed in GA? You also said that the car could be towed. How often does this actually happen? As for the "pig" comment. That was not in my post. I can see that you got an early xmas present. I definitely detect some humor in your last post!!! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2001, 11:30 PM   #8
1astrsk
Registered Member

The fine varies depending on the jurisdiction. I have personally never written this ticket. Officers rarely know the amount of the fine because once the ticket leaves our hands we don't have anything to do with it unless it goes to court. Even then the judge has discretion on fine amounts and surcharges.

Towing is about $ 70 or so.

It is the officers discretion on towing the car in a situation like that. The drivers attitude can play a big part in the decision (as with most traffic related citations).

The most common reasons for having a vehicle towed are arrest of the driver, undrivable vehicle due to wreck, abandoned/burned vehicle and a vehicle used in a crime that needs to be processed for fingerprints, etc.

Rarely is a vehicle towed due to a a violation of emmisions equiptment but it has happened. I don't know how much of an improvement you will notice between an off road pipe and a pipe with high flow cats. I know the offroad pipe is way cheaper though. I put in a catted h-pipe and there was a definite small improvement and it sounds way better with the 2 chamber flowmasters.
Old 12-25-2001, 12:40 AM   #9
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

being ex-military its not cool to dog the police,i fought in a war and was in beirut also, but my point is-the police are at war everyday they go to work,yes i have been given ticket's but am not bitter about it,they were just doing thier job &i was wrong,no im not kissing up i dont even live in ga. but i do respect the law. they are the good guy's.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 02:38 AM   #10
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I have alot of respect for police officers. I was thinking of becoming one. I know that there are hefty federal fines for removing your cats. My 2000 GT doesnt have any. I choose an off-road system because of the cost. I've had people tell me I should burn in hell for taking the cats of my car. I wont get into that. THats worth a whole thread right there.

I have friends that are employed by one Law enforcement agency or another, and none of them have written a ticket concerning lack of emissions equipment.

I know this sounds bad, but even if you live in a county or state where sniffer testing is mandatory, there are ways to beat the system. In that case, its not what you know, its who you know.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 05:17 PM   #11
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

I was just recently pulled over for loud exhaust in Central Minnesota where I live. The sheriff was a nice guy about it and didn't look if I had any cat's. I shut the car off right when I pulled over since I have side-exit exhaust and I am sure he woulda smelt the exhaust and probably guessed I had no cat's. He said to quiet down and drive safely. I know its illegal to remove your cat's in Minnesota, but no one I have ever known has been ticketed.
Mods -K&N Airfilter- -Classic Design Concepts Side Exit Exhaust- -MGW Satin Shift Knob- -Moroso Hood Pins- -MAC White Face Gauges- -MAC O/R H-pipe- - MIL Eliminators- -Steeda Strut Tower Brace- -Steeda Aluminum Pedals- -Fog light re-wire-
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 08:38 PM   #12
My1stStang
Registered Member

Thanks a lot! I am still not sure which way I will go. How much difference is there in the sound of a X pipe with cats and one without? Also, is there any noticable performance difference?
Old 12-26-2001, 08:46 PM   #13
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

I was told an X pipe will give you more power in the middle-to-upper RPM's and will give a more exotic sound. H-pipe's will give you more power down low, and give more of a muscle sound. The difference in HP is like 3 HP's or something? I got the H pipe for the sound, and boy, does it sound good! Almost like my car is outta the 60's!
Mods -K&N Airfilter- -Classic Design Concepts Side Exit Exhaust- -MGW Satin Shift Knob- -Moroso Hood Pins- -MAC White Face Gauges- -MAC O/R H-pipe- - MIL Eliminators- -Steeda Strut Tower Brace- -Steeda Aluminum Pedals- -Fog light re-wire-
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:56 AM   #14
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

The 4.6 GT's (Especially 99+) sound mean and bad a$$ with just 40 series Flowmasters, but then add an Off-Road H-pipe, and OH MAN ITS AWESOME SOUNDING. Not sure if people that are next to you when you start accelerating will appreciate it though.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 05:10 AM   #15
silverv6
Registered Member

Default yes off road x or h pipes are elligal

but a regular x pipe is legal in your state.

a regular x pipe is illegal in california were i live.

MERCURY
I have a friend that has a 98 5 speed gt
with 2 chamber flowmasters and a a off road H pipe .

and trust me it sounds bad as f#$% it sound like a dragster

last time I raced him on the freeway and he took of and he was so way ahead of me and I could still hear him that loud his car is espesially wen his stoped it rumbles real nice
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:19 AM   #16
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Not to flame anybody but....tampering or removing cats from any originally equipped vehicle is illegal (federal emissions)...there are some grey areas that allow you replace cats 1. factory defect 2. 50,000 miles on the ticker and cats are found to be malfunctioning 3. accident has damaged cats beyond their function.

The fine if found guilty...$50,000 believe it or not, it falls under the emissions act under federal law.

On a lighter note, local laws also adhere to Federal guidlines but have lesser penalties, usually a fine and equipment repair order. The federal charge is not implied unless your found to have a substantial impact on the environment ( a shop that practices gutting cats...etc)

I would'nt suggest an O/R, it's not worth the hassle...with cats you might have an excuse (see above)..without, your S.O.L.

Just a little information...alot of us use high performance cat pipes...mine s an X (w/cats)
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:10 PM   #17
My1stStang
Registered Member

OK! I think that you guys have scared me into going with cats. Now my question is who has the best h or x pipe w/cats for the money? I here a lot about bassani x pipe, but they seem expensive. Is it worth the money or would a mac hi flow h pipe w/cats be as good? Thanks again for all of the input. This board has given me more information than anything out there.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #18
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

No one will ever make me run cats period. I've been running without cats in my two mustangs since 92. Every year at emissions time I swap back the stock H to pass the sniffer a few times without then back to the offroad pipe. I've never heard anyone anywhere being fined those ridiculous fees for not having cats.

People talk about removing cats being illegal, so is speeding, street racing but yet most of you do that as well. I've been pulled over plenty of times over the years and have had cops ask about my exhaust and I openly tell them offroad H pipe and never have been warned about fines. Instead I get tint tickets.

Flame away!

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 02:42 PM   #19
joegodfrey
Registered Member

I agree with Mustang92, it might be illegal but so is crossing the road without using a cross walk. All that really matters is if the police in your area check for them, and enforce this law.

By the way Bill is that Your car in your avatar?
joegodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:09 PM   #20
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by joegodfrey
By the way Bill is that Your car in your avatar?
Absolutely.

Bill
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote