MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-2002, 03:07 AM   #1
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Exhaust Laws in Texas...

Does anyone know if it is illegal to dump exhaust in TX? I see cars all over with theirs dumped, but don't know if it is legal. Not that it matters that much. I already have no smog and Off road H pipe. Hey, might as well go all the way. No, just kidding. I was given a Pro Dump Kit with less than 100 miles on it and it will bolt right up on my car. I don't know whether to use it or not.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:02 PM   #2
bosco
Registered Member

i think the rules for texas are your exhaust pipe have to exit the car somewhere, i guess either regular pipes or side pipes, but i most of my friends have dumps anyway and havent been stopped yet
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 08:35 PM   #3
UNICORN
Registered Member

Well for right now i'd say go for it, different inspection stations interpret the laws differently, i was recently told by one shop that
i had to have full tail pipes on my gt so that's what i did. Another shop tells me that as long as the pipes extend beyond the back seat of the car (past the passenger compartment) that it would pass inspection. HOWEVER, as of march this year inspection procedures are SUPPOSE to change. All cars will be required to be chasis dynoed and well as more strict inspection procedures will be used and the worst part of it is the inspections will be going up to about $40.00 now . that sucks .
-later
UNICORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:21 AM   #4
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

everyone over here has dumps, it depends on where you do inspections at, one guy got in my car locking the brakes up testing them, testing wipers, lmao, actually tested the tread on my tires, and said they were barely gonna pass.....idiot

just recently i took it to another side of town and the guy just made me honk my horn, and test my lights and blinkers, didnt even look under the car. thats gonna suck if we have to pay 40.00
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:22 AM   #5
bosco
Registered Member

chassis dynoed? you mean dyno? as in now we have to keep stock heads as well as stock h-pipe, thats too much trouble
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
Old 01-07-2002, 06:52 PM   #6
UNICORN
Registered Member

YUP, chasis dyno. as long as your car will pass the emissions test,
i don't forsee a problem, then again, maybe they are going to fail cars that have excessive amounts of horsepower , that's the only reason i can think of why they would want to run dyno tests.
Don't look for any of the small shops or gas stations to be doing inspections either, 'cause i hear that they will be required to have a chasis dyno in order to do it and the dynoe's cost $60k (that's right, sixty thousand) installed. It's just not profitable for a small shop to pay that and "only" charge $40.00 for an inspec.
There will be actual designated locations that we'll have to take our cars to
-later
Old 01-07-2002, 08:04 PM   #7
bosco
Registered Member

well look on the bright side, free dyno testing , maybe if your car has so much power there will be suspension and safety requirements, who knows
Old 01-07-2002, 08:14 PM   #8
UNICORN
Registered Member

That's EXACTLY what i was thinking. I was gonna have my car dynoed, but why spend $100 bucks or more when i can just pay one of those retards a LOT less!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:40 PM   #9
faststang90
Registered Member

in texas your exhaust has to go past the cab part of the car. So in a coupe u can have dumps aslong as it goes under the rearend but a hatchback car can not because the cab part gos to the back of the car
faststang90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:29 AM   #10
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

well i got a coupe im in luck, actually my friend has a hatch and has no probs with his dumps, anyway do you guys get ehaust shops to make the dump extensions? my tailpipes gotta go. about how much should i expect to pay? or should i just cut my tailpipes off myself, and weld the turndowns at another time?
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 06:27 PM   #11
jpumpkinn
Registered Member

I have no emmission equipment on my car. I heard at a recent mustang show that Texas was going to state emmision laws in about 2 years. That sucks for me! If you want to pass a easy inspection go to a small shop. I went last weekend to a small exxon and the guy did not even get in the car it took about 30 seconds. Those idiots at the big chains like havoline or quicklube etc. will go over your car with a fine tooth comb. They charged me $20 because my wiper was torn half a inch. That's how they make money. Some places won't even check for insurance.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:38 PM   #12
joegodfrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UNICORN
Well for right now i'd say go for it, different inspection stations interpret the laws differently, i was recently told by one shop that
i had to have full tail pipes on my gt so that's what i did. Another shop tells me that as long as the pipes extend beyond the back seat of the car (past the passenger compartment) that it would pass inspection. HOWEVER, as of march this year inspection procedures are SUPPOSE to change. All cars will be required to be chasis dynoed and well as more strict inspection procedures will be used and the worst part of it is the inspections will be going up to about $40.00 now . that sucks .
-later
Someone ought to write to George W about this, I'm sure he runs straight pipes on his pickup, so he'll understand.
joegodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote