MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2001, 02:02 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Post Pondering Life, and the use of the Science behind it. (Might Find boring.)

As I have done countless times before, I turned my eyes to the glory of a chilled winter eve to gaze at the beauty of the heavens.

I have lost myself in the night sky before, and did so last night. Brilliant pin points of light shining prominently from the black canvas form which they were painted on. Each one representing a mass of hydrogen (and some dying stars, such as Betleguise are mostly heluim) gas in the process of nuclear fusion.

What I didn't notice last night were the stars, or the galaxies, but the vast emptiness that spans from here to there. Some distances stretch 10 light years, for others, the cold void spans much a greater distance.

Emptiness. Only a few trace atoms of noble gases frequent from here to there, not taking into accountant the neighbors in our own system of planets.

I find it inconceivable to believe that our home harbors the only traces of life, even on the microscopic scale.

I ponder as to why God has created such vast distances, that are the habitat for nothing except of the coldness and background radiation that still exists from the creation (Big Bang).

I begin to wonder with so much under His watchfull eyes, how can he keep track of it all. Our galaxys' (The Milky Way) size is beyond the imagination and comprehension of most as it is. 100,000 light years across.

I gaze up and Andromeda and think ahead to 6 billion years, our sun will have spent most of its Hydrogen fuel and started breaking heluim down to other levels of gas and matter on the periodic scale, and have already swallowed Mercury, Venus, and Earth. Andromeda is on a collison course for us, by the time it gets here, who knows what direction humanity will have taken? To tell you the truth, I doubt we'll exist long enough to see a fraction of that time.

E=MC2 Energy=Mass times Speed of light squared.

The formula that is the birth for the explanation of the energy that every day heats our air, causes the winds, gives birth to life. But at the same time, its basis was used to create 1200 mph winds and firey balls of death in a car sized package. Amazing how we humans can take a life giving formula and manunipulate it and twist it to such a devestating effect.

With all God has to watch over, sometimes I wonder if he knows or sees what we're doing with the science of life created by Him.

I look up at Jupiter, and think of Sir Isac Newton whom formulated the first mathmatical equation to figure out why the "Wanders" orbit the sun so. (It turns out to be kinda wrong, but good enough for that purpose.) I find it sad that the majority of people are busy using these wonderful discoveries of science to find more ways to destroy life, rather than seek it outside of our home.

Seeing footage of a nuclear detonation is chilling to me.
The quick death experienced by some in Japan 46 years ago was not the majority; most died slow painful deaths caused by radiation. Torture. What does God think of us? Not once, but twice.
I understand that the situation allowed for almost no other solution, but where did humanity go wrong, that such a weapon was needed?

I gaze up at that same star-filled sky and feel empty and alone. I wonder if there is another person out there who needs me as much as I need them. I believe in fate, when it comes to certain matters. Love is one of those matters. I wonder if my fate is to be alone in life, and die alone, with no kids, and no one to remember me. But with the size of the Universe, and possibly, other universes, will God notice when I pass on?

There is so much more that streams thourgh my mind, but I will not bore you all with my endless drool (no, not Slobber.) I just need to "Talk", even if it's with myself.

Mercury, signing out for now.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:04 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

I ponder about some of that same stuff from time to time but man thats deep.
Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:28 PM   #3
mustangdani55
Registered Member

for once Damien...i am totally speechless...i didn't realize you were that deep. cool man.. right on
mustangdani55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:23 PM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

merc there is a large ridge across the road from my house, i live at the foot of a mountain, but i went to the door for some strange reason, and a full moon sat just over the ridge, it was breathtaking, i really can't describe how i felt looking at it ,except, awe,stuff like that is priceless,it really is,i know how you feel, see ya . i wasnt trying to be deep or nothing there merc but when i come home from work in the morning , there is nothing better than an eagle or, a hawk flying over my house & screeching ,i just love nature especially after driving 74 miles a night to work & back from the city -chattanooga, i work in the ghetto area it suck's all the freak's rockhead's etc i just love living in the country, later man have a good one

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03

Last edited by Crazy Horse GT; 12-04-2001 at 03:34 PM..
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:33 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Warning: Very long

Mercury:

Good post!

It may comfort you to know that millions of people have had similar thoughts, wondered about the same things and asked the same unanswerable questions over the centuries. I've been there too, and now you've joined the unending line of humanity who've taken the time and made the intellectual effort to look beyond themselves, beyond the petty concerns of everyday life; the wanting, the striving, the rushing around, and after considering the heavens and eveything we know about life based on science, have asked the ancient question; "Why"?

I won't attempt to offer you any real answer - my ego isn't that big - but (like you) I believe in God and I very much believe that He is very concerned with what His creation (mankind) does with what he has created for them.

I also believe in Free Will. The proposition that humans are given a conscience by the Creator (God) and know right from wrong. That we have the ability to choose to do the right thing or the wrong thing. I believe that actions have consequences and we are not shielded from those consequences by God, even when innocents suffer.

To use your World War Two example; For reasons based partly on greed and a sense of superiority, the Government of Japan choose to attack the United States at Pearl Harbor and we went to war with Japan and the Axis powers. Tens of thousands of people died and certainly not all were soldiers. Many 'innocent' civilians (women and children) died in the bombing of London by the Nazis, Dresden, Germany by the Engish and Americans and many other battle zones where civilians were centered in fairly large numbers.

In 1945, having defeated Nazi Germany and in order to finally end the war, President Truman choose to drop the Atom Bomb on Japan. He then asked for a Japanese surrender. Japan refused (they believed we only had one bomb - we had five). Truman ordered the second Atomic Bomb dropped on Hiroshima and the Japan High Command surrendered. The rest is in the history books.

So, Japan attacked the U.S. and we had a World War and tens of thousands died. America used science to develop the Atom Bomb (one step ahead of Nazi Germany) and then used it to end the war by destroying the will of the Japanese to fight on by inflicting instant mass destruction upon them.
Many, many civilians died in that war, as they always do. The civilians in Japan that suffered from radiation poisoning as an aftermath of the Atomic Bomb died horrible deaths. I believe the dropping of the Atom Bomb was militarily justified, but the real point is that everyone involved suffered in that war. From the dead and maimed soldiers to the parents of those same soldiers, the women and children caught in the bombings and finally, the victims of the Atom Bomb in Japan in 1945. Japan's leaders, Germany's leaders and America's leaders all made decisions that ultimately affected millions of people in some way, mostly negative. Japan and Germany could have chosen not to attack the Allies. They didn't. Hundreds of thousands died.
Bad choices = bad consequences.

The Allies won the war and the world was a better place for that, but the war was won at a great cost. God did not bomb Pearl Harbor, he allowed the Japanese to do it and they, in turn suffered grave consequences which God also allowed. That is the reality of life. I don't 'blame' God for the actions of mankind. We enjoy Free Will.
If one smokes for fifty years and develops lung cancer as a result, is that the fault of the Creator? I think not.

If a person chooses to get drunk, then chooses to get behind the wheel and drive and as a result, hits another car and a child dies in the accident, who's fault is that?
If God spared the life of the victim, no matter how innocent, the drunken driver would have no consequences for his actions.
That would be nice, in a sense, but not reality.
I assume you grasp my point. Enough said on that.

Damian, I want to commend you for taking the time to consider the deeper meanings of life and to be brave enough to post them here for all to see.
That alone denotes a maturity and a trust in Mustang Works members (to not be ridiculed) that I admire. This kind of intellectual exercise combined with your sense of humor, love of cars and other interest is what goes into making a well-rounded, interesting person.

As for your future, well, no one can even guess at that but I believe that as you take the time and make the effort to grow as a person and seek the kind of girl who can share your dreams, appreciate you for the guy you are rather than the guy she wishes you were, your romantic future is probably quite positive. I wouldn't worry much about 'dying alone' at this point.

I can assure you that as you look up at the stars at night, somewhere out there is a girl doing the exact same thing, who is longing for a guy just like you to find her and love her, and she is aching to find that guy and then to love him back with all her might. It happens. I know.

She may not look exactly like what you imagined or be where you expected her to be, but she's there and you'll find each other. I believe that.

On that happy note, I'll close this message and thank you again for your post. Appreciated it.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:40 PM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

Wow... heavy...
Old 12-04-2001, 06:39 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

There are a few members here on MW that no matter how long their posts are, I will usually take the time to read them.

Mercury is one of those people. Mr 5.0 is another one. Thank you both for the time you took to write those posts, I know it took more than 60 secs.

Mercury, you posed some interesting observations and questions some to which I can deeply relate. Mr 5.0, you, IMO, appropriately answered many of them (understanding that at the same time, it would take a whole lot more time and typing to get into the crux of the whole matter). Honestly, I am even more so impressed with you Mr 5.0 now than I was b4.

There are many more of those questions to be asked. I hope people will continue to ask these types of questions (not necessarily on MW) and really take time to consider the past, present, and future and what they are gonna do with it instead of simply existing.

I see a bunch of mindless, blind sheep nowadays who accept/tolorate any and all things, just existing. I wonder how many people actually live and can say they really enjoy life or are content with their current state of being. Are we as a species progressing or regressing? Sorry for my cynical attitude, but it seems like the older I get (as more scales fall off my eyes), the more cynical I become. Well, maybe that's just something I have to work on.

It's cool to see there are others who contemplate the bigger things in life.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 07:09 PM   #8
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Woh' Merc you make some amazing points. That makes you really think. Especially after today I just broke up with my g/f after 5 months yesterday. You wonder what are future holds for us. Who knows, but it's a question I ask myself everyday.

Take it Easy Guys,

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 08:33 PM   #9
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Wink

Frankly Merc, I've never found any of your posts boring, not in the least.

I won't even try to match you write skills, but I will say that if you ever need a shoulder.....we're here for you. Well, some of us are anyway.

Take care and hopefully I'll be more articulate tomorrow. Later man.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 08:54 PM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Ah the meaning of life. Such a simple question. Of course, my ego is just big enough to give you the answer.

The meaning of life is to prove yourself worthy of fighting in god's army when the time comes.

If you are like me and have no religious affiliation

The meaning of life is to procreate and to futher your species.

I know I have posted this before. There is a perfect place on Earth.

It's standing next to my snowmobile, it's engine hushed for the time being. Surrounded by the wooded trails in quiet as a pure soft snow drifts down from above in gigantic flakes. Silence but for the crunch of the new fallen snow under my boots, and the muffled metallic "tink" from the exhaust tuners cooling on the engine. Surrounded by the heavy frost on all the tree's transformed into a magical new world, hiding the dull hibernating branches in a glory of bright white.

I look up and see the endless shower of white coming down from the light gray sky. They fall straight as no wind exists to alter their course.

In this perfect serenity there is only one thing missing. Somebody special to share it with. There is somebody who exists there with me in my head, but nobody in reality.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:46 AM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

It is harder to change human nature than to change rivers and mountains.

My personality, many years ago, changed drastically. Not from age and experience, not from friends or aquaintances, but from an incident that was beyond my control.

Ever since then, I have asked myself such questions. Some of them have been answered. Many have not. It is not expected that they will be answered, but that doesn't hinder my search for the answers.

Thats how I got so interested in Physics, and I couldn't afford the cost or the time required of the classes at a 4 year college, so I taught myself in my spare time.

My mind never seems to be at rest.

Mr 5.0

World War II is one of my areas of intrest. What first drew me to that era, was my intrest in the aircraft. I used to build models of WWII aircraft, plastic, and Balsa wood kits. I still have a lot to learn about the politics of the war, and I'm learning of the battles that took place.

I'm not a tree hugger or a hippie by any means, but I find war to be such a horrible thing; I know many people do. Example: when England bombed Hamburg Germany. The amount of innocent people killed was appalling.

The Rape of Nanking comes to mind.

Anyway, thank you Mr 5.0.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote