MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-04-2001, 12:06 AM   #1
fazali
Registered Member

Unhappy Short throw shifters

I have a 2001 GT. I have already upgraded the exhaust to flowmasters. Now, I am considering a short throw shifter.

Once concern. Can this void my warranty?

Someone help me out and show me the way.

Is it worth the time and effort to modify the shifter?

fazali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 12:12 AM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Its only 8 bolts, so time and effort is no big deal at all. Money is about $180, but that's up to you rather or not that worth it. I think it is. The fun factor that comes with a shifter is great, especially if you do gears at some point.

Steeda and Pro 5.0 are the most popular brands. I like Steeda a little better, but it is louder then the Pro 5.0.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 09:20 AM   #3
Mr. Lee
Registered Member

I also have a new 5 speed (2000, not mustang)and replaced the stock with a adjustable short shifter.

The legal jargon in the warranty on my car basically states that the dealer must prove that the modification or alteration was the source of the problem that led to the failure of the warranteed item.

If they tell you that your short shifter was the cause of your rear end blowing out, well, I'd call a lawyer.

my 2 cents
Mr. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 09:51 AM   #4
LI STANG
Registered Member

Cool

If your considering a shorty shifter I've had great results with Pro 5.0 on my '99.

I had a Hurst shorty in the past, which transmitted alot more tranny noise than the Pro 5.0.

3rd gear rattle with the Hurst was really annoying.

Only drawback with a Pro 5.0 is a long 5th gear reach.

LI STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 10:06 AM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Smile

You'd need a lawyer and a good engineer. Iron never lies. If the shifter caused the failure there would be evidence to support it. If the shifter didn't cause the failure that evidence would be present also.

Warranty is supposed to cover manufacturer and material defects. Material defects are clearly identifiable when a part is analyzed by a competent person. Workmanship is a little tougher to see, but evidence is still present. I'm not sure what it would cost to have a material engineer look at the parts, but I know that a couple of my colleagues (who have Chev's) have already had problems (go figure ) and have caught the dealer trying to replace parts that are not damaged and tried to give them a run around. Luckily it never worked.

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 12:02 PM   #6
88GT5.013.02

I don't know about the newer models, but I know that the Pro-5.0 piece is nice. My buddy had an 88 LX and he let me drive his car, wow that shifter kicks a$$. I have a hurst on my foxbody, and if I had money to buy a different one now, I would buy the Pro-5.0.

I am sure their quality and performance in shifers has followed into the new generation stangs. Although I have heard the Steeda is a nice shifter too.

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, ported Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft (Full body weight GT, full tank of gas, and sway bars connected, gonna disconnect sway bars and dip into the twelves).
Old 01-04-2001, 12:32 PM   #7
Try Me
Registered Member

Any of you who'd get flack from their dealer for an aftermarket shifter needs to find A NEW DEALER!!!

My dealer was the best. Warranty? Everything inlcuding weather stripper and wax jobs were part of "warranty" :-)

As for FAZALI, you've already got flows on your 2001 - i think you have too much money, i think you should share some with me :-)
L.O.L!
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: