MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-13-2002, 03:05 PM   #1
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Default Should I sell my car?

I have been debating for a while on whether or not to sell my car. I have always thought this car would be with me forever and after I graduated college I would buy something else then restore my Stang. But, although it still looks really sharp when cleaned up, the body is showing signs of age. Rust is showing up around the doors and rear fenders and has gotten so bad around the windshield that water gets inside when it rains.

I know I will never get the money out of it that I put into it, but I could probably do much better selling it now than later. I have one semester left to graduate with my marketing degree, but my plans are to stay another 2 years and finish my engineering degree also. So, if I were to sell it in two years, I think the rust will be much worse and the car's value will become almost nothing.

Mechanically, it is reliable and just has a few leaks. Part of what is weighing heavily on my decision is that I drive my motorcycle most of the time. I just mainly use the stang in the rain (which means it leaks) or in the winter. And, we all know stangs aren't the best in the snow. Opinions??

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 03:33 PM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

If you were to sell it, what would you get in place of it?

I don't think I could ever part ways with mine!
Old 05-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Perhaps a Ford Ranger 4x4. It would be good for winters and I could use it to haul my bike back and forth from school and home.

I know I will really miss the power of the stang....but I can get that on the bike right

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 05-13-2002, 03:48 PM   #4
joe4speed

Well the Ranger would probably be more practical, but you know you would miss that Stang! What about a newer Stang?
Old 05-13-2002, 04:01 PM   #5
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Trust me, a newer stang crosses my mind a lot! But, I would run into the same problems in the winter (although I really get around fine, it just makes me nervous). And, I would want to start making a newer Stang faster, which means more money.

And, I know it is smarter for me to just wait until I finish college and then buy a new Stang. Which is also another reason to keep my current one. It is very reliable, and if things go well, I will have my engineering and marketing degrees in two years and will be entering the working world. I can then afford something else and the resale value of my current stang won't mean as much then.

Tough call. Most of my friends are graduating right now and buying new cars, so it is just feeding my desire for something else. But, since I have decided to pursue the second degree, I am stuck in school a while longer with limited funds.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Old 05-13-2002, 04:24 PM   #6
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Heth have you thought about storing your car? Souds like ti is in good mechanical shape and just teh body needs tlc. If you don't owe any money on it then buy the ranger anyways and put the lx in storage.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:49 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Sell it

Sell the Mustang. Buy a truck (or whatever) for winter and rain, use the bike for transportation and thrills.

You'll miss the 'Stang but you can buy another, (later model) when you're out of school. With the bike, it's not like you're stuck with a beater all the time and that 4X4 will come in handy in the winter.

Stop agonizing. Sell the 'Stang.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:31 PM   #8
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Due to the body condition (i.e. rust), two years left of college, etc., maybe selling it isn't such a bad idea. How many miles are on the car?

I've thought about selling my Mustang, but due to the superb condition and near show quality cleanliness, I've decided to continue with modifications. Plus, now, the car is way passed the 'transportation' value; it has sentimental value.

If you're still not sure as to what to do, flip a coin and gauge your initial reactions to the outcome - that nearly always works.

Good luck with your decision.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:43 PM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

I have debated selling mine many times, but think these cars will be worth something someday. Like the 55 chevys are worth money today. If you can afford another car, without selling it, you might want to store it and restore it later.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 08:14 PM   #10
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
I have debated selling mine many times, but think these cars will be worth something someday. Like the 55 chevys are worth money today. If you can afford another car, without selling it, you might want to store it and restore it later.
I agree... Most Mustangs out there are not in great shape, and if our cars are mint in quite a few years, it could be a good thing!
Old 05-13-2002, 10:36 PM   #11
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

There is 140,000 on the car and just about 40K on my new engine. Overall the car is in pretty good shape.

I have thought about storing it, but don't think I could afford to buy something else without the funds from selling the stang. Chances are I will keep it and just spend a little more money on fixing a few things this summer on it. After all, I am in college and have fast, reliable car that can look pretty good still when cleaned up (that is paid for). Many people are not so fortunate. Maybe a new set of tires for the winter and I can get through the next two years......but I may keep my eye out for any good deals.

My uncle installs windshields and says a body shop owes him quite a few favors. He said they could fix the rust around the windshield to fix the leaking, but I don't know their reputation. I would hate to get the car back afterwards and see they have just created more problems for me. Worth checking into though.

1990 LX

1998 Contour SVT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: