View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 07:15 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Body shop blues

bobtodd:

Get another estimate and have it towed, if necessary The body shop will often include the tow in the repair price, anyway.

$3,500. seems high. Get the parts/labor breakdown from the Ford dealer to see what kind of prices they're getting for parts and what's actually being replaced. Then, you have a basis for comparison with another shop.

I think you can do better. Dealer prices are always high because the shop is where most of the real dealer profit comes from. An independent body shop doesn't have the same overhead and may give you a better deal but be sure you go to a reputable body shop. Some are real hackers. This is why a lot of folks get nervous and just 'go with the dealer' - who can also have hacks working for him.

The insurance company will 'total' a car when it costs more to repair it than it's current retail value. Makes sense but if the car is otherwise mint it's a bad deal for you as they'll only pay you retail and deduct for higher than normal mileage. Condition isn't a big part of their estimate but that can be fought (I have - and won).

Bottom line: Get another repair estimate.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote